New Valvoline MaxLife labeling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased another jug of MaxLife upon which I noticed some new labeling containing a US flag image with the surely misleading marketing phrase "American Owned & Operated".
smirk.gif
Seriously?! Does this flag-waving garbage really result in more motor oil sales?!
28.gif

Last edited:
Marketing and nothing more. It caters to the patriotic type, whose demographic probably makes up a good portion of the people buying motor oil.

Country of origin marketing is everywhere. I love those products (lots of electronic items now do this) that say "designed and engineered in the USA" with "Made in China" buried in the small print.

Or my favorite is "Made in PRC". (People's Republic of China), essentially China in disguise for the unedumacated.

i see no problem in a company branding it self on it's nationality. of course they must not lie.

i think it is way worse i sticker i saw ones on a really large ford pickup with a cummings diesel(atleast big after our standards) the sticker was placed when oppening the driversdoor and said "Build with pride" and then the name of the plant building it.

at the same time the finnish looked like it had bin put together by a blind child using only it's feed.

I can't really read the jug because the image is small, but I'm guessing you got it at Walmart and this is part of their selling more US made stuff campaign.

First we complain about all the Chinese stuff, now we complain when a company markets their product as made in the U.S.A.

I must be missing something???????????????????????????????

"Flag waving garbage"??!? I resent that. COO is important to an ever shrinking portion of the population, but it still is a critical consideration in buying. Many folks would sell their fellow countrymen out to save a buck.

One of the things the us still has is a decent chemical industry. I know a lot of grpIII is Korean, and of course GTL is from Qatar amongst other places. Word if they're trying to annoy one of their competitors.

I don't see a problem.

If I took issue with that, I suppose I would take bigger issue with the fact that Pennzoil and Quaker State play off an "American" name despite being foreign owned. I suppose that's similar to the Schwinn bikes sold today.

What do you have against flag waving, is this really about oil, or just that you don't care for patriotism?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
What do you have against flag waving, is this really about oil, or just that you don't care for patriotism?

This is being taught from the top down, get used to it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
"Flag waving garbage"??!? I resent that. COO is important to an ever shrinking portion of the population, but it still is a critical consideration in buying. Many folks would sell their fellow countrymen out to save a buck.

Well said! I wish a lot more companies would do a little flag waiving.

From the U.S. code for displaying the flag.

The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner
whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or
handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or
boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising
signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

Originally Posted By: jcwit

signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

Ah ha! perhaps that is what the OP meant. I really did not know those rules/quidelines. I can understand not cheapening the flag by using solely as an ad prop.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
I can't really read the jug because the image is small, but I'm guessing you got it at Walmart and this is part of their selling more US made stuff campaign.
Yes, that's where I got it.

First we complain about all the Chinese stuff, now we complain when a company markets their product as made in the U.S.A.

I must be missing something???????????????????????????????
To clarify, my post isn't a complaint about this being manufactured in the US (as opposed to China); the complaint is really about about consumers who are significantly swayed by that fact in making their purchase decision.
eek.gif

Additionally, I've never once complained about country of manufacture for any product for any country.

"...COO is important to an ever shrinking portion of the population, but it still is a critical consideration in buying...
Scary.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: cchase
...If I took issue with that, I suppose I would take bigger issue with the fact that Pennzoil and Quaker State play off an "American" name despite being foreign owned. I suppose that's similar to the Schwinn bikes sold today.
You're right: many companies do this, but I just hadn't personally observed such an obvious example of this in a while. This was just a convenient company/product for me to pick on.
smile.gif

Additionally, some folks still don't understand that the term American-owned also applies to many US-based businesses that are owned by folks who, regardless of race or country of birth, are still Americans (i.e. citizens). Some common examples are gas stations, convenience stores, and donut shops (i.e. Indian Americans, Asian Americans).

Originally Posted By: volk06
Are you serious or are you a ChinA lover?
I'm serious. I'm simply agnostic with regard to where products are conceived, designed, manufactured, tested, distributed, etc. Your "ChinA lover" characterization is very reminiscient of the "n!gger lover" label that was tossed around pretty regularly by some ignorant individuals in the 20th century US.
frown.gif

...is this really about oil, or just that you don't care for patriotism?
I'm definitely not a fan of patriotism or nationalism in any form. Its dangers are well-documented.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Well said! I wish a lot more companies would do a little flag waiving.
I'm curious -- how would that be helpful?
confused.gif

Thanks for sharing this. I didn't know this.

Ah ha! perhaps that is what the OP meant. I really did not know those rules/quidelines. I can understand not cheapening the flag by using solely as an ad prop.
No, this wasn't what I meant since I was ignorant of this at the time of my original posting. Unfortunately, the US flag has been "cheapened" far more by other measures.

As someone perfectly capable of reading COO text, I don't see the need to have a big flag up front being used as marketing for the sorts of types who hurf blurf about which politicians are/aren't wearing a little American flag pin. Ridiculous.

"Chinalover", really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back