2010 Acura TSX - Oil Rec Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOG forum,

Hoping I could get an oil recommendation for my TSX. So much conflicting information out there and hard to see what is right and wrong. I know the answer isn't black and white so looking for your advice.

Following the question list from the sticky:

1. Car: 2010 Acura TSX, 4 cyl automatic, 55k miles
2. Manual's Recommendations: 5w-20. API Premium Grade. Change every 5-6k miles
3. Living in Connecticut. (Been super cold the last few weeks! Like 45-50 degrees in the morning when I start up the car.
4. I drive it harder than the average person but not never on a track or anyhting crazy. I like cruising 80-85 on the highway, accelerate hard when I feel good.
5. Mostly highway to work. For the next couple months I'll be driving 100 miles a day with some traffic
6. No know problems with the car

Other info: I was always told synthetic is the way to go but I have no preference. Cost is not a factor, don't mind paying a few extra bucks per quart.

Thanks!
Will

Engine in that car should be easy on whatever oil you decide to use.
You'll find the more time you spend here most people will just tell you to use a good name brand grade that matches your manual and you'll be fine. If the car is under warranty keep the OCI within their recommendations if you want to avoid warranty claim hassles.

That being said I would go to Walmart, and pick the 5w20 that is for a good price, Valvoline, Quaker State, Mobil, they are all great.

I agree with SLCraig, any name brand conventional 5W20 will be good for your plan OCI of 5-6k miles.

Since you will be driving up to 100 miles a day(mostly highway) and the car is out of warranty I would use name brand synthetic 0W20 for 8-10k miles OCI.

I would not consider 45-50 degrees super cold.

Motorcraft Semi Syn 5w20 is a very well thought of oil in this wt. Price is very reasonable for a 5,000 mi. OCI.

Thanks for the responses guys!

@HTSS. I actually have a extended warranty buying it used so I think I might keep with the 5w-20??

@Mark. I see your point but where did the summer go!!! No transition at all in the Northeast this year...

So a lot of other forums I hwas doing research in suggest Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Penzoil Platinum. Any thoughts on those in particular?

And should I use synthetic or does it not really matter?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeffreysachs

@HTSS. I actually have a extended warranty buying it used so I think I might keep with the 5w-20??

@Mark. I see your point but where did the summer go!!! No transition at all in the Northeast this year...

So a lot of other forums I hwas doing research in suggest Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Penzoil Platinum. Any thoughts on those in particular?

If you are going to use a 5-6K OCI just buy what is on sale in the grade you prefer to use. If I were you I would just change your oil at the maximum recommend interval stated in your owners manual. With your near ideal driving habits synthetic or conventional really does not matter.

I change my oil with conventional 5W20 at 7.5K OCI's and my driving conditions are not as good as yours.

Yeah, OP's driving condition is easy on oil, any name brand API SM/SN xW20 will be good for 5-6k miles OCI.

Since this is OP new car, spending extra $10-15 a year on oil(synthetic vs conventional) and feel good about it worth something, I would buy Pennzoil Platinum at $25 5qt jug at Walmart and get back $20 warranty rebate from Pennzoil.

For short OCI of 5-6k miles, boutique oils such as Royal Purple and Amsoil are a big waste.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

For short OCI of 5-6k miles, boutique oils such as Royal Purple and Amsoil are a big waste.

No Amsoil OE at 6K intervals is NOT A BIG WASTE. Please. If you are going to say such things, be more specific and use numbers.

Originally Posted By: Jeffreysachs

Forgot to mention....O'Reilly's has PP 5w20 on sale for $2.50 qt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back