Ticking sound after an oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All. Recently changed the oil in my 2011 GLK.
Used M1 0W-40 and a MANN 718/5x as per MB requirements.

I used an oil extractor and got ~6 litres out.

Then put back 5.7 litres, figured I'd see how it went and add more if needed.

That's when the ticking started. Low oil, I thought. But the dipstick constantly reads high! In fact it reads that its over the max line, even after leaving it overnight.

I didn't change the filter immediately as I had the wrong cap wrench. That has been changed now, but the symptoms remain the same.

For the life of me I can't reconcile why it would tick and read full or even overfull on oil, unless the dipstick is catching oil half way down the tube, but surely that stuff wouldn't stay on the side of the dipstick tube for days on end?

---

What's the best way to proceed here? Should I take ~1L out and see what happens to at least clarify if we're too high or too low? Thanks
smile.gif

It happens, a lash adjuster possibly got some air.
Take it down the highway drop a gear if need be and keep it at 3,000 RPM for about 30 sec.

Edit: you got 6.0 out and put 5.7 back so there is no chance of starvation or over fill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Take it down the highway drop a gear if need be and keep it at 3,000 RPM for about 30 sec.

I had this happen on my 96 VW Golf with 2L ABA engine drained the oil and got distracted with other business and couldn't come back to refill for about 8 hours. Refilled and installed new oil filter in good condition and started the car up. Plenty of lifter noise, a real racket! No oil pressure light, so I drove it up the street and after about 30 seconds to a minute it quieted down to complete silence.

Welcome to the Forum!

The 0W-40 might be a little too thick. Consider adding in a thinner oil with the Mobil 1 to improve oil flow to the lifters.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Welcome to the Forum!

The 0W-40 might be a little too thick. Consider adding in a thinner oil with the Mobil 1 to improve oil flow to the lifters.

Its a m-b. I think he has to use a euro spec oil,which m1 0w-40 is. Can't really go thinner.

Right. Wasn't thinking a lot thinner, just a little bit - from 3.8 HT/HS to 3.5

Do you know offhand what GC is. I've always read good things about it in European vehicles.

Did you open the oil fill cap when you used the extractor? May have created a vacuum if left closed. Otherwise, just follow what Trav posted above.

What oil was used before... some get the tick by use of M1
Should be able to rule out the filter since you changed it (not immediately). Has it been driven since.
Got ~6 litres out, then put back 5.7 litres and now overfilled?

Dipstick reads over the max line? I would start by extracting enough oil to bring it back down to the normal range and eliminate overfilling (and therefore foaming) as a cause...

Actually it makes sense that the dipstick level is above max line. He got out 6 liters, put in 5.7 liters before changing the filter. There's around 1/3 liter in the old filter that's why it read high. Drain/extract some out to get it up to max line.

Took out ~6 litres out, put in 5.7 litres, reads high.
Gets ticking.
Then change oil filter - should that bring it back down then?
No matter, get the level correct.

I say go ahead and redo the oil change. You could reuse the filter and oil but $40 in more oil is way better than a huge bill from MB. This sounds obvious but make sure you extracted the right fluid... it happens.

Let us know what you do and welcome to Bitog. By the way M1 0w-40 is perfect for a MB.

Originally Posted By: vq35de_touring
I say go ahead and redo the oil change. You could reuse the filter and oil but $40 in more oil is way better than a huge bill from MB. This sounds obvious but make sure you extracted the right fluid... it happens.

Let us know what you do and welcome to Bitog. By the way M1 0w-40 is perfect for a MB.

33.gif
speechless.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Right. Wasn't thinking a lot thinner, just a little bit - from 3.8 HT/HS to 3.5

Do you know offhand what GC is. I've always read good things about it in European vehicles.

I believe GC is 3.5, it has to be to meet all the specs it does, and if it was any higher I don't think it could be a "30" grade.

I say go ahead and redo the oil change. You could reuse the filter and oil but $40 in more oil is way better than a huge bill from MB.

Huh???
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I say go ahead and redo the oil change. You could reuse the filter and oil but $40 in more oil is way better than a huge bill from MB.

Huh???
crazy2.gif

33.gif
+1

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

Originally Posted By: gregoron
Did you open the oil fill cap when you used the extractor? May have created a vacuum if left closed. Otherwise, just follow what Trav posted above.

Yeah I left the cap on. Perhaps that is part of the issue.

I should also note, the manual says the engine takes 7.0 litres. Given I put in 300ml less than I took out, this suggests that the engine might have been too full to begin with (!) from the dealer. This assumes that the dipstick is reliable, but its just been so odd...

Originally Posted By: Trav

Edit: you got 6.0 out and put 5.7 back so there is no chance of starvation or over fill.

Thanks. Will give it a try tomorrow. The car isn't insured right now (long and boring story) but I did let it idle for a while this evening and it did seem to be a lot quieter than previous trials. Had to strain to hear it.

I still can't explain why the dipstick is reading over the max line unless it really is over filled ...

The previous oil I am 99% sure is the same (M1 0W-40).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back