ATF as Engine Flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
33.gif

Anything with a low viscosity would have done the trick, as this user was simply needing a fluid to clear out engine sludge.

Will I ever consider using anything other than motor oil in my engine? Not in a million years.

Remember, hail marries may win football games, but then don't win entire seasons.

Last edited:
We've talked about it time and time again -- you should not be running ATF through an engine. Modern oils have more than enough cleaning power.

my dad (60'-70's) car guy swears by the old method of flushing your block with a quart of tranny fluid in place of a quart of oil.. says he and all his buddys back then did it and it was the standard method for flushing out a neglected or higher miliage engine.

Im not saying i agree with this, im just posting what ive heard him say.

Last edited:
I could not watch the entire video. Too hard to watch that sludgy oil.
spankme2.gif
Must of been that Fram filter. It turns perfectly good oil into sludge.
crackmeup2.gif
It looks like short OCI's would go a long way toward cleaning that motor, even if you used a Fram filter. I now prefer a 20 weight oil if I want something thinner in my oil.

Filmed in drunk-o-vision. That's what the oil in my Ion looked like the first time I ran a quart of MMO through it before a change.

Last edited:
If he puts ATF in that flat tire it will fix it too.

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
After watching this video, I did it in my Silverado and it actually made the ticking sound much quieter. For some reason I think that ATF may actually have done something >>

Youtube Video

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
my dad (60'-70's) car guy swears by the old method of flushing your block with a quart of tranny fluid in place of a quart of oil.. says he and all his buddys back then did it and it was the standard method for flushing out a neglected or higher miliage engine.

Because engine oils back then were WAY weaker than they are now. Also, people didn't exactly know better. There are way too many old-wive's tales for car maintenance that started back then.

Don't know as a engine flush but years ago when I had my K5 Blazer, every time I did oil/filter change, I'd drain the tranny ATF then refill to keep it fresh. Off road duty a lot back then.
Anyway, I always took the used ATF and bottled it. Carried a bottle and every time I filled the gas tank, I added a dose of the used ATF with the gas fill. Just a way I got rid of the ATF.
Never had any problems doing this. Just if I used a bit more tank after tank, my plugs sometime would actually get a little bit of a red'ish tone color on the plugs insulators.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

I guess i am a old timer and did this often even in non neglected/higher mile motors with great results

ATF was used decades ago largely due to its lighter / thinner viscosity which had an advantage over the unrefined very thick oils of yesteryear.

Many people back then were mistakenly told that ATF was high in detergent, which also increased its popularity.

Now-days, engine oils are much lighter and have better cleaning properties, so it's best to use an inexpensive oil for cleaning engines.

As always, prevention is much better than redemption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back