2002 F-350 5.4l V8 4x4 Oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

After doing much reading here (very impressed) and coming up on my second oil change for my used truck I am seeking some advice on what brand of oil to go with long term.

2002 Ford F-350
5.4L v8 modular engine (just shy of 120,000 miles)

Basically I am wondering do I need to go with a "heavy duty engine oil" for this?
Will it help me long term as far as wear goes?

Almost 3,000 miles ago I changed the brownish oil that was in when purchased. I used a stock Motorcraft filter (I won't use anything else on this or my 1998 f150) and MOBIL 1 synthetic 5w-20. I have no problems with the Mobil 1, I just buy it because it is popular and was on sale at Walmart. I had considered Motorcraft (blended syn/dino?) and pennzoil syn. I haven't been doing my oil changes for the past ten years and just recently (because I dont need to jack this truck up really) decided to grab the reins again.

I check the oil about every 300-400 miles and it is just now starting to turn from golden to becoming a little discolored.

Mobil 1 is a great brand name of course, and I believe in the product.

However, the recent posts of most frequently used oil (at least in 2010) shows me that alot of the forumites here really like PENNZOIL, which I used on my sludge prone 2002 Toyota Camry (until I sold it in 2008 with 140k miles). I had the camry changed at a local lube shop that used pennzoil as their stock oil. I don't remember if I was using synthetics, I dont think so. At the time I thought synthetic oils would "leak", after my experiences over the years I do not believe that anymore. Especially after using normal synthetic 5w-20 on this f350 and having no leaks and the truck runs great!

Which product (I am leaning towards Pennzoil Ultra) would you suggest for basic LONGEVITY of the engine and to run cleanest? I do not have any leak problems, plan on using 5w-20, stock motorcraft filter, and I do not use any oil additives (maybe MMO down the line). I know 120k is "high mileage"... Do I need a HIGH MILEAGE oil? Is PCMO ok to use (it seems to be fine)?

These "modular" v8 engines by Ford DO NOT do well with heavy weight oils, mine was factory specd for Motorcraft blended syn/dino 5w20 and I have no reason to believe it hasn't been used for it's life since I purchased this from a mechanic I know personally. It has "small oil passages" from what I have read and it runs (and COLD STARTS) best with 5w20 from my understanding. It does fire up and run darn smooth, so I don't feel like straying as far as an oil weight goes. Should I feel this way?

Thanks for all of your advice ahead of time. I know I can be long winded....

JC

Can't go wrong with MC Syn Blend 5w-20. It's a good oil and the 5.4s aren't that hard on oil.

MC Oil , MC filter = good combination.

We have a member going 10K miles on Mobil Super 5000 conventional oil.

The 5.4s have MORE than adequate oil pressure ... especially on cold start with 5w-20. No reason to go heavier.

Last edited:
I did not see your planned OCI, but I will suggest Mobil Super 5000 (MS5K) in 5W-20. I have been running it for a while now with my latest run changed at 10K (I have about 105K on my 2010 FX4 at this point). I can factually say that I have seen zero difference between Pennzoil Ultra (full synthetic) and MS5K in my UOAs and I have UOA'ed every oil change since it was new.

Ford Modular engines are not picky about oil and unless you are planning to go past 10,000 miles per oil change, I would not waste my money on a synthetic oil. The Motorcraft FL-820s oil filters are also good to 10K, so you should be all set unless you plan to go past that.

In my Fords I like to use Motorcraft syn blend and Motorcraft filters. But today I changed the oil on my 04 F-350 5.4 and I used Castrol Edge. The engine seems like it's running smother with Castrol so I might keep using it.

Last edited:
I was planning on doing this one at 120K (which would be almost 3,000 miles) and then going to 5K oil change intervals At most.

It is hard enough for me to get off the 3k oil change mark, I really would never go above 5,000 miles on an oil change on anything.

Is Mobil Super 5,000 synthetic? Motorcraft suggest a synthetic blended oil, which I know is inexpensive. Saving money on oil changes IMO is not going to add up significantly enough for me to use low quality oil.

Am I giving anything up going non-synthetic, I have heard the additive packages are superior in high quality synthetic oils and for a few bucks I dont see the point of "going cheap".

I DO NOT want to "get away" with conventional if I am getting even small advantages with full synthetic.

Thanks again.

JC

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I did not see your planned OCI, but I will suggest Mobil Super 5000 (MS5K) in 5W-20. I have been running it for a while now with my latest run changed at 10K (I have about 105K on my 2010 FX4 at this point). I can factually say that I have seen zero difference between Pennzoil Ultra (full synthetic) and MS5K in my UOAs and I have UOA'ed every oil change since it was new.

Ford Modular engines are not picky about oil and unless you are planning to go past 10,000 miles per oil change, I would not waste my money on a synthetic oil. The Motorcraft FL-820s oil filters are also good to 10K, so you should be all set unless you plan to go past that.

+1 ^^THIS^^

Then by all means just stick with synthetic. I ran mostly Quaker State Ultimate Durability (QSUD) in 5w20 when I had my Ford 5.4. Never an issue and the thing ran like a top even when I sold it. Any synthetic like M1, PP, SynPower, or Castrol Edge would work just as well though, so if you like M1 just stick with it. My only other suggestion would be to extend your drain interval. I know it's an adjustment to get used to it, but you should be running that synthetic oil at least 8k miles or so. As FX4 said, 10k should even be fine. If you're determined to stay at 5k intervals, any name brand Dino oil will be just fine.

If you're not going over 5,000 miles on your OCI, then a full synthetic is a waste of money, period. My 5.4 seems to like Maxlife 5W-20, and I've got a pretty good stash of it so that's what it will be getting for a few 5,000 mile OCIs. Really, the 5.4 is not picky when it comes to oil, and it's an incredibly durable engine. It should easily last 300, 400, even 500K miles on any name brand conventional oil. These engines have even been known to go over a million miles on conventional oil.

Originally Posted By: Jameson
I was planning on doing this one at 120K (which would be almost 3,000 miles) and then going to 5K oil change intervals At most.

It is hard enough for me to get off the 3k oil change mark, I really would never go above 5,000 miles on an oil change on anything.

Is Mobil Super 5,000 synthetic? Motorcraft suggest a synthetic blended oil, which I know is inexpensive. Saving money on oil changes IMO is not going to add up significantly enough for me to use low quality oil.

Am I giving anything up going non-synthetic, I have heard the additive packages are superior in high quality synthetic oils and for a few bucks I dont see the point of "going cheap".

I DO NOT want to "get away" with conventional if I am getting even small advantages with full synthetic.

Thanks again.

JC

You are not gaining much at all going synthetic. Take it from a fellow modular owner. I use the least expensive name brand oil I can find and change at the factory recommended interval and the last thing I am worried about is a oil related engine failure.

I live where it is very hot compared to most of the country, tow, haul, off-road, and drive for fun. Use a motorcraft filter and change your oil between 5-7.5K if you do not want to do a UOA and use the money you would of spent on synthetics on other items that will fail.

Originally Posted By: Jameson

Thanks again. JC

While I understand that old habits die hard, you are indeed totally wasting your money by changing your oil at 3,000 and if it is synthetic oil you are wasting even more. I have towed with my FX4 for 45% of the time that I have driven it, even in heat as high as 110F and synthetic oil gained me nothing save for lightening my checkbook. Here are the UOAs for every single oil change in my truck. Here are some photos of a MC-FL820s at 10K. In the UOAs, I clearly show the demarc between synthetic and conventional. However, If I had not shown that, could you tell the difference? Short answer--no and neither can your truck.

Conventional oil will easily last 7,500 miles in your truck and if you are not **able** to go that long, certainly do not use a synthetic oil--you are gaining NOTHING! The cost difference of synthetic oil versus conventional will add up to more than a few dollars in time; you may want to put a pencil to that and see for yourself.
cheers3.gif

PS - I do use synthetics in the front and rear axles of the FX4 and I feel those are places where gains can be had by using a synthetic. But all other fluids in my truck are conventional and I an totally comfortable using them as there is nothing to be gained by switching.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
If you're not going over 5,000 miles on your OCI, then a full synthetic is a waste of money, period. My 5.4 seems to like Maxlife 5W-20, and I've got a pretty good stash of it so that's what it will be getting for a few 5,000 mile OCIs. Really, the 5.4 is not picky when it comes to oil, and it's an incredibly durable engine. It should easily last 300, 400, even 500K miles on any name brand conventional oil. These engines have even been known to go over a million miles on conventional oil.

I am not sure it is a "waste" of money. Not like we're talking about 10 gallons per oil change like on a commercial semi truck. Even without extending OCI's, it is not a bad thing to run synthetics. Especially when one factors in the conditions which they use the vehicle in. I know it seems more the norm nowadays, but highway commuter miles are not the only things the typical pickup experiences. And if the OP is in upstate NY near the Canadian border, synthetics can really be the cat's meow when the temps fall up there. I experienced some interesting field maneuvers up there at Camp Drum (now Ft. Drum) back in the 70's that were down right cold for weeks on end.

Most folks will "waste" a heck of a lot more money on frivolous stuff for their vehicles that only increase it's eye appeal and stroke their egos, than they will ever "waste" on a few quarts of oil. If one is running a fleet of vehicles, it would mean something. For the one pickup owner, kinda hard to fit "waste" in the equation when talking about synthetic or not and the amount of engine oil these folks use in a year.

The OP might not gain much by using synthetic, but he is not going to be "wasting" anything. If it fits his comfort level, I say go for it. No need to probably, but what the hey.... it is only a few quarts of oil. Have fun.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I am not sure it is a "waste" of money. Not like we're talking about 10 gallons per oil change like on a commercial semi truck.

If I follow that thought process for my FX4, here is what I would spend:

7QTs of MS5K + FL-820s = 18.20 ($13 per 5QTs x 7 / 35 = $2.60 x 7 = $18.20) + $4.00 = $22.20
7QTs of PU + FL-820s = $37.80 ($27 per 5QTs x 7 / 35 = $5.40 x 7 = $37.80) + $4.00 = $41.80

Difference = $19.60 per OCI (or nearly double the cost) so if one is running synthetic (PU) for the same amount of time as a conventional (MS5K) it is TOTAL waste of nearly $20 per OCI, but hey, it is only money, right?

And like i stated, there are lots of folks who wouldn't think twice about dropping that same $20 on frivolous stuff for the same vehicle. Like I stated, if one is running a fleet or has a situation where we are talking about barrels of oil per year as opposed to a case, then making such an assertive case about wasting money on their choice of oil and how they do things might really have some weight. For the person that is using a case a year, it seems more like a case of OCD being displayed. How one approaches this is telling. If they advise someone that they really don't need to spend as much and then leaves it there, fine. If the person does not choose to side with that opinion. Cool. It is their money, not yours. It is their vehicle, not yours. And it is how they feel about doing something and staying within their comfort zone. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. So don't press the issue. Be happy that you shared good advice and drive on. If someone wants to lay out 50-100% more for an oil because it makes them feel better, why does anyone feel the need to rain on their parade. I may disagree with their choice, but it isn't my wallet, so I really could care less what they choose to do. I might only press the issue a little further if their choice in oil would actually be detrimental to their engine. As for cost, I would mention they could save money doing things a little differently, then leave the issue alone.

The same thing applies to a lot of areas of our lives. I don't need a fancy .300 magnum in a $2000 rifle to drop a mule deer when a tried and true 30.06 in a $500 rifle will do the job just as well any day of the week. But some "feel" better and want the higher priced stuff. Who am I to ridicule them about their choice. It is what they want and it gets the job done well. No problem. I will compliment them just as well on that 12 point buck they harvest no matter what they use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back