Since when did steelies..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Discount Tire Direct sells new steelies cheap.

but many of them arent hubcentric if that matters.

I had some that wobbled and some that didnt

and I tightened finger tight in the air.. then small ratchet.. then final tighten on the ground.

Ended up sending one set back and getting a set from tirerack because DTD didnt carry hubcentric steelies in my application.

DTD did provide excellent customer service.. paid all shipping and full refund.
There are adaptors for that, I have a set for my Borbet 15X7s.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Some people prefer steel wheels.

If I could find a decent set of not-rusted steel wheels for my focus, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I do...the steelies tend to hold up better on the roads here. They stop making the aftermarket ones after a while....then I'd be screwed...
frown.gif

Same reason! Alloys always seem to "warp" on me.

If I could find a decent set of not-rusted steel wheels for my focus, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I do...the steelies tend to hold up better on the roads here. They stop making the aftermarket ones after a while....then I'd be screwed...
frown.gif

I've bent several steel wheels back in the "old daze" in trucks. They bend, especially under a 4.5 ton van or pickup! So they are far from permanent or perfect.

The important distinction on alloys is QUALITY. GM has a factory alloy rim on old 2500HD pickups that is darn near unbreakable. Most factory spec rims are going to be very durable and strong as heck.

My car has 20 inch Alcoa rims, factory equipped. I once hit a HUGE hole at 70 mph with 5 adults and all their luggage in the car leaving TIA. Not a scratch on a rim with a 35 series tire!

All alloys are not junk. Neither are all steelies the strongest.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

frown.gif

I've bent several steel wheels back in the "old daze" in trucks. They bend, especially under a 4.5 ton van or pickup! So they are far from permanent or perfect.

The important distinction on alloys is QUALITY. GM has a factory alloy rim on old 2500HD pickups that is darn near unbreakable. Most factory spec rims are going to be very durable and strong as heck.

My car has 20 inch Alcoa rims, factory equipped. I once hit a HUGE hole at 70 mph with 5 adults and all their luggage in the car leaving TIA. Not a scratch on a rim with a 35 series tire!

All alloys are not junk. Neither are all steelies the strongest.

I've seen 4 banger FWD circle track cars tear the center out of OE steel wheels from the cornering loads. OTOH, I once got hit in the front tire of my old Pontiac Sunfire HARD, bad enough the strut was so bent the tire was smashed against the unibody and the car would not move. The tie rod was done for, the steering arm on the spindle was visibly twisted. When I tore it down to rebuild it the only parts on that corner not bent were the factory alloy, the control arm and the axle shaft.

^^^I can believe that. I once slid a car sideways into the curb at a pretty good clip in an accident, the factory steelies bent like soft pretzels.

That may be their only claim to fame, they ARE bendable, soft, malleable. That bit of "give" may be their strength.

Where I work we perform what is called a curb crash test. During testing we've found some alloy wheels are actually stronger than their steel counterparts.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Where I work we perform what is called a curb crash test. During testing we've found some alloy wheels are actually stronger than their steel counterparts.

Curious to know which ones did better!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The steel wheels are the cobalt are different than most they have a 5 spoke pattern that matches the shape of the hubcap so they appear to be alloys from afar. Doesn't that make them more rare? I used to have a pair of them on a Pontiac G5.

http://www.finishlinewheels.com/prodimg/STL08021U.jpg

Maybe on the G5, but my Balt has plain ol' steel wheels....

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
Go on craigslist, find someone selling all 4 as a used set...

Believe it or not, didn't think of that! Might work......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back