Painting a steel wheel cause balance problem ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets say you have a car with steel wheels and plastic wheel covers.

If your wheels are rusting and you have tires already mounted / balanced...

Will evenly spray painting with a rattle can of flat black paint cause a balance problem ?

Evenly spraying no. It would take a lot to affect the balance enough for you to notice it. That would take a really really bad set of runs to do it.

IMO no, if the paint is applied evenly. Backyard mechanic's way to check it is to take it out on the highway after all is done...and rebalance if necessary.

I dont feel an imbalance until about 1.25-1.5oz total on either front. Every car is different, but it would take a massive amount of paint to do that.

Last edited:
So are you going to pry off your weights, paint underneath, and put them back in the same spot?

While at it are you going to peel tires off the rims so you can get around the bead lip?

This would be the true BITOG way of doing it ya know.
wink.gif

My neighbor has a 3 year old Corolla and all the wheels are rusting.

He plans on removing each wheel, lay flat the wheel flat on ground and spray with Rust-Oleum rattle can of flat balck paint.

Basically what I did though I cleaned mine off really well. Pressure wash, soap, scrub off any rust. Tremclad professional primer and a coat of Tremclad professional rust enamel. Flat black.

So far looks good hopefully this lasts.

I painted my daughters Civic rims a few years ago with Tremclad brushed on. I had sprayed it the previous year and all the rust came back the following summer. Three years now and no rust and no balance issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back