99 BMW M3, 9,000 miles, Red Line 10w-40 street oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

S12

This UOA is from my 99 E36 M3 track day car. The engine is stock with approximately 115,000 miles. I've been taking the car to BMWCCA track events for the last five years averaging about 5-8 two to tree day driving events a year. I used to use Total Quartz racing 10w-50 and liked it. I then ran Mobil 1 0w-40 and liked it but got the fabled E36 M3 lifter tick after 5 or more track days and about 4,000 miles. I decided to try red line and have had no lifter tick after 3 track days and 9,000 miles. My car has no oil cooler and has reached up to 219 degree coolant temps in 100 plus degree summer heat. I think this oil really held up well and I can see why BimmerWorld recommends it.
[img:left]http://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/102914579039675336810/albums/5856839587642483841?partnerid=gplp0[/img]

Very odd [but good] that the TBN is still so high at 4.2. Most UOA's of Red Line seem to show long OCI's are not a Red Line trait.

There is only one caveat that I for got to add in my original post and that is I added a quart of Mobil 1 0w-40 weight during the run of Red Line. I do not know how much that would of changed the TBN numbers.

Originally Posted By: S12
There is only one caveat that I for got to add in my original post and that is I added a quart of Mobil 1 0w-40 weight during the run of Red Line. I do not know how much that would of changed the TBN numbers.

Given that I had a TBN of 7 after my run of M1 0w-40, I'm thinking the effects could have been significant, lol
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: S12

Given that I had a TBN of 7 after my run of M1 0w-40, I'm thinking the effects could have been significant, lol
smile.gif

Overkill, you are killing me. Making me break out my "Search the current site" Chrome extension to see your 0w-40 UOA.

wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back