Changing tranny fluid again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, you guys have made a believer out of me regarding Lucas. Starting today, I'm going to flush the fluid out of my AXOD metric transmission via the hand pump through filler tube method. Plan on pumping out three quarts before driving to work. Then at lunch, three more, then home this evening, three more, etc till I flush out all the fluid with Lucas additive, (bought four gallons Supertech brand last night).

Now, my question. If innards of tranny are varnished, should I use something like Seafoam tranny additive to clean varnish or should I wait and see what new fluid does and if problems persist, then use seafoam?

Thanks - Glenn.

Lucas trans additive won't hurt anything, you are wasting your time. Its about the only Lucas product that works.

I'd stay away from seafoam if it has high mileage...

In the MB Diesel community, we have LOTS of >200k mile ATs that havent seen much service. Trans-X is known to do a good job at cleaning the small passages, and Id consider that, though Id personally go a more conservative treatment dosing.

Seafoam? They change the label on the bottle and market it for transmissions? Really? If that doesn't classify Seafoam as snake oil, nothing will. Abandon Seafoam in all its chameleon bottles and labels.

Not knowing anything about the make/model/year/fluid your talking about, the only transmission fluid additives I would use are made by Lubegard. If the other responses know you and your car, maybe there are other options that work better. But Lubegard is a sure thing across all makes.

List of various additives
http://www.lubegard.com/C-110/Transmission
Fluid chart for base oil and additives
http://www.lubegard.com/pdfs/2010_LUBEGARD_CC_FINAL.pdf
Use only if your doing a complete replacement of fluid after.
http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-178/LUBEGARD+Transmission+Flush

The flush, a cooler line flush with the correct fluid and possibly some lubegard red after should do it.

Yes Leaky, you're right, should have posted car info. Sorry. 1993 Ford Taurus GL V-6 automatic AXOD Metric transmission. 155,000 miles on original motor and tranny. last tranny flush was at 90,000. Car has been slipping between 3rd and 4th gear and "jumping" into drive and reverse. Also occasionally slips in first gear when I pull onto highway, (not all the time, only when I pull out in front of a huge 18 wheeler).

Fluid I originally pulled out was coffee dark. Dropped pan to change filter and pan bottom covered with the "grey clay." Cleaned and installed new filter.

After fluid and filter change, I then "flushed" out all remaining fluid via filler tube and hand pump, (change three quarts, drive a while, change three quarts, drive awhile, etc). Last three quart change, added bottle of Lucas transmission fix and bottle of Lubegard Platinum, (I chose Platinum because I thought it was the "best" being in the silver bottle - should have done more research). Changes noticed was car no longer "jumped" into drive or reverse. Slipping not as bad, but still slips and makes me a little uneasy when I pull into heavy traffic.

Was advised to get the Lucas mix out and start again with fresh fluid. Also advised varnish might be a problem. Hence wondering about something to remove varnish from tranny innards.

I am not familiar with JHZR2's recommendation, you should look into that. If it were me I'd start with the Lubegard flush, replace all the fluid then use additives if required. get back to ground 0 so to speak, then make changes if necessary.

Use Auto-Rx. Even some of the people who say it does not work on engines say it works on transmissions.

It does take time. Need to be patient. Follow the directions. I have some in my Dodge Ram's transmission and its been there for awhile. Will exchange the fluid as soon as the weather warms up.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the Lucas in there imo. It seems like it may me one of their products that can help. I've used it along with many others in older transmissions with decent results.

Go back to the original fluid,change it to spec and take it easy on acceleration,let up on the gas to let the trans shift off- power,etc.

There may be a re-flash that can be done to the pcm. You can just nurse it till she goes.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Seafoam? They change the label on the bottle and market it for transmissions? Really? If that doesn't classify Seafoam as snake oil, nothing will. Abandon Seafoam in all its chameleon bottles and labels.

Not knowing anything about the make/model/year/fluid your talking about, the only transmission fluid additives I would use are made by Lubegard. If the other responses know you and your car, maybe there are other options that work better. But Lubegard is a sure thing across all makes.

List of various additives
http://www.lubegard.com/C-110/Transmission
Fluid chart for base oil and additives
http://www.lubegard.com/pdfs/2010_LUBEGARD_CC_FINAL.pdf
Use only if your doing a complete replacement of fluid after.
http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-178/LUBEGARD+Transmission+Flush

The flush, a cooler line flush with the correct fluid and possibly some lubegard red after should do it.

That stuff is the real deal - works very well and used by professional shops all the time. Too much "mouse milk" in a trans and you're usually asking for trouble - moreso than just normal fluid/filter changes - IMHO...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
In the MB Diesel community, we have LOTS of >200k mile ATs that havent seen much service. Trans-X is known to do a good job at cleaning the small passages, and Id consider that, though Id personally go a more conservative treatment dosing.
I've got a Toyota auto which has gone 300, so far.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Lucas trans additive won't hurt anything, you are wasting your time. Its about the only Lucas product that works.

x2

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

And? We had a toyota that went 250 too...

But then again it wasnt 30+ years old, and I doubt that yours is either.

Sometimes time has a factor into it too.

The Trans-X stuff has been proven on older, poorly serviced ATs with a LOT of miles. Id run it and then use a good ATF with LG red myself.

I may try a maintenance dose of that stuff at some point in mine just for fun.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

And? We had a toyota that went 250 too...

But then again it wasnt 30+ years old, and I doubt that yours is either.

Sometimes time has a factor into it too.

The Trans-X stuff has been proven on older, poorly serviced ATs with a LOT of miles. Id run it and then use a good ATF with LG red myself.

I may try a maintenance dose of that stuff at some point in mine just for fun.
It demonstrates that a well designed auto with some basic care, and not abused, can give long service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back