2011 Dodge 6.7L 81k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 Dodge 5500 6.7L with 81,000 miles. Mopar filters and Chevron delo 15w40. This oci was 7k.

4_dodge_5500_1.jpg

Another great UOA showing how capable conventional lubes are.

That lube could have gone further; easily could double if not tripple that distance. It's a shame to see such viable fluid dumped. Most wear rates are very low, and the contamination is very low, with other properties also in good control. Some would call out the Fe as a higher wear rate, but I don't think it's too out of line. I suspect (given this is a 5500 series truck) that it does a lot of towing/hauling? That would explain the higher Fe count. The Fe wear rate is probably acceptable for your service factor. And it's no where near the condemnation limit (they apparently have it set at 90ppm; 100ppm is also a very common number).

I realize you probably cannot/will not currently extend the OCI due to warranty concerns. But on the plus side, IIRC, you have a 100k mile warranty, and you're going to hit that soon. After that point, I'd seriously consider extending your OCIs; the rig and the oil are both telling you it's possible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I suspect (given this is a 5500 series truck) that it does a lot of towing/hauling?

No towing but the truck weighs 19860 pounds loaded like it is.

It is going to be hard to get these OCI's extended. 5000 mile OCI's are just the way things are done. Even though the oil selection will do way more than that.

Some value is still had by getting the oil changed every few weeks (5k). Being underneath the truck and looking things over while you change the oil, filters etc has importance with the conditions the fleet is put under.

I don't think the OCI extension for the trucks is a battle I want to be involved with.

Last edited:
I presume this likely isn't your personal vehicle, right?

If 5k miles is the typical limit, how'd it get to 7k miles?

If you cannot extend the OCI, then the other alternative is to get the least expensive CJ-4 HDEO you can find. That may or may not be the current product; I have no idea what is paid. 5k miles could easily be handled by any house brand such as ST; often costs less than brand name products.

And, why pay for the UOA just to ignore the data it gives?

My point it this:
If 5k miles is the targeted OCI, and there is no hope of extension, then why the brand name lube and the UOAs? Yes - getting under the truck has some benefit, but that's not really reflected in the OCI costs. The ability to see leaks or loose tie-rod ends has nothing to do with the cost per gallon of the lube.

Interestingly, the "new" 6.7L coming out soon will be rated for 15k miles OEM OCI, all on CJ-4 qualified lubes. I'm sure that Cummins did a LOT of testing (far more than the typical BITOGer could ever manange in his garage with his limited wallet); if they see it as viable, then it's probably OK. The Cummins is not known to be a sludger, after all.

Cummins see the value in safe extensions. The UOA you posted shows there is value to be found in safe extensions. Perhaps it's time to rethink the 5k mile limits, or get a cheaper lube ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yucca
It is going to be hard to get these OCI's extended. 5000 mile OCI's are just the way things are done. Even though the oil selection will do way more than that.

Some value is still had by getting the oil changed every few weeks (5k). Being underneath the truck and looking things over while you change the oil, filters etc has importance with the conditions the fleet is put under.

I don't think the OCI extension for the trucks is a battle I want to be involved with.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for
companies to void warranties or deny coverage under
the warranty simply because an aftermarket or recycled
part was used…The manufacturer or dealer must
show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused
the need for repairs before denying the warranty
claim. (http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/
alerts/alt192.shtm)

I really think you can extend your OCI, prove it with your UOA and run the oil out to where you are comfortable. You are doing it with your Cat generators why not your truck/diesel fleet as well?

I presume this likely isn't your personal vehicle, right?

The unit is assigned to a tech.

If 5k miles is the typical limit, how'd it get to 7k miles?

The guidelines (not by my choosing) are 3-4k for gassers and 5k for diesels.

If you cannot extend the OCI, then the other alternative is to get the least expensive CJ-4 HDEO you can find. That may or may not be the current product; I have no idea what is paid. 5k miles could easily be handled by any house brand such as ST; often costs less than brand name products.

We get the cj-4 delo 400 le at the bulk pricing rate. I doubt we could see much of a savings over even the least expensive cj-4's to make it worth while to go with another brand.

And, why pay for the UOA just to ignore the data it gives?

Normally I would not waste any money doing UOA's on the pick-up fleet. Mostly the curiousity factor. So to answer your question it was a waste of 20 bucks to run this UOA.

My point it this:
If 5k miles is the targeted OCI, and there is no hope of extension, then why the brand name lube and the UOAs? Yes - getting under the truck has some benefit, but that's not really reflected in the OCI costs. The ability to see leaks or loose tie-rod ends has nothing to do with the cost per gallon of the lube.

I make mention on the abilty to extend OCI's on occasion with the pick-up fleet but I don't really try to hard. All the maintenace is the responsibility of the person the truck is assigned to. I think that is what "guidelines" are ment for.

My focus is with the multi-million dollar CAT fleet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back