Guys, I messed up , I let all the pressure out fro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I messed up. I was replacing my alternator and loosen the wrong bolt. The ac systems depressurize and scared the [censored] out of me. It’s a 1993 Toyota Corolla 1.8 Liter. Do I take it to the dealership to charge up? Is this something I can do by myself? Does the system have to be evacuated?

If it completely de pressurized and you left it wide open, it will have to be evacuated, as normal air will get in there and normal air contains moisture. If not, then no. You can probably get a cheap recharge kit at a parts store and just refill the system with refrigerant. Isn't very hard, there's vids all over the net of it.

Lemme guess: it's prolly R-12 system, right? If so, I'm afraid there's nothing you can do to salvage it (R-12 freon based refrigerant has been banned in NA for quite some time), so your best bet (hope) is to bring it to a shop and see if they can convert it to R-134A systems...

Not cheep but that's all you can do.

Q.

Originally Posted By: handyman
Guys, I messed up. I was replacing my alternator and loosen the wrong bolt. The ac systems depressurize and scared the [censored] out of me. It’s a 1993 Toyota Corolla 1.8 Liter. Do I take it to the dealership to charge up? Is this something I can do by myself? Does the system have to be evacuated?

If you let out all of the refrigerant R134a, then you probably need to also vacuum the system with a vacuump pump first. You've probably introduced moisture into the AC system, so the vacuum pump will remove all of that first before you recharge it. Depending on your budget you can buy a vacuum pump and manifold guages from Harbor Freight for around $150 depending if you have coupons. Otherwise see if you can borrow the tools from a buddy. Then you need to get the proper refrigerant for your year of car.

Check youtube for knowledge on how to do these jobs. Scotty Kilmer has a few good videos on youtube showing you how to do this.

Regards, JC.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it's a r12 system. That stuff was banned a long time ago. O course it's a 20 year old car.

You will need to replace the orifice tube as well.

A replacement R12 refrigerant is available. I would order that long before I considered any conversion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RiceCake
R-134A is a replacement for R-12, you can just recharge with 134.

NO, NO, NO.

OP, find out if it was an R12 system or R134a. R12 is still available, and shops install it. The performance with R12 will be superior to R134a and easier on the old components in the system due to lower operating pressures. So find a good shop that still works R12, the prices have come way down on the refrigerant and youll be happier.

If the system is open, might as well consider cleaning or replacing the orifice or expansion valve, and sapping as many o rings as you can.

You will absolutely need to replace the receiver dryer, youll need to add some oil, and pull a solid vacuum on it, and ensure that it holds for 30minutes or more. If not, find the leaks with a mixture of nitrogen and R22 from a sniffer, then fix the leaks. I doubt you have any though, and you know what youve opened up..

After pulling the vacuum and ensuring that the system is tight, then add R12 to the correct mass and go on your way.

Good luck!

Yeah yeah I looked that up better I know. R-12 could be a hard find or not though as the entire supply of it relies on recycled gas, since its obviously illegal to manufacture anymore.

I think I will just take it to the dealership. I have a lot going on in my life right now and I have a hard time concentrating. That is why I mess up in the first place. I hate going to the stealership but I trust them.

Not the wrong belt. The wrong bolt. The bolt to loosing the alternator and the bolt to remove the AC piping are right next to each other.

Don't worry about any of all that. Just put a drop in replacement gas in it. You'll save yourself a bundle.
Over 6 years ago I was faced with a similar problem. 1995 Plymouth minivan not going to spend a bundle on. I charged it with Enviro-safe. I risked $15 and guess what? It's been cold AC ever since. Topped it up once $6. 39F coming out of center vent when it was 92 degrees outside.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Don't worry about any of all that. Just put a drop in replacement gas in it. You'll save yourself a bundle.
Over 6 years ago I was faced with a similar problem. 1995 Plymouth minivan not going to spend a bundle on. I charged it with Enviro-safe. I risked $15 and guess what? It's been cold AC ever since. Topped it up once $6. 39F coming out of center vent when it was 92 degrees outside.

'95 had R-134a which has a different base/oil than R-12. Mixing the two is asking for trouble. OP needs to find out which one he's got before just adding gas or he could ruin system by mixing incompatible operating fluids.

I would take it to a A/C place, you will pay a lot more at a dealership. The A/C place probably knows more about A/Cs than the dealership. If you do not know any, ask at a local NAPA who they would suggest. Do not try and try to fix this yourself.

My 1993 Suburban had R12, so it was still in use at that point in time. That does not mean Toyota was still using it.

Lastly the vehicle is 20 years old. Do you really need A/C? You are in Canada not Florida.

Originally Posted By: handyman
I think I will just take it to the dealership. I hate going to the stealership but I trust them.

Trust them to rip you off you mean. Try to find an honest A/C shop, Texas definetly has them.

If you closed off the fitting before all the pressure escaped (which takes a while) all thats needed is recharge with R12, available, albeit expensive, but probably cheaper than a 134a retrofit and it cools better. If you're close to the border I think you can buy R12 right off the shelf in Mexico.
cool.gif

An unnessary 134a retrofit could open up a whole can of beans.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would take it to a A/C place, you will pay a lot more at a dealership. The A/C place probably knows more about A/Cs than the dealership. If you do not know any, ask at a local NAPA who they would suggest. Do not try and try to fix this yourself.

My 1993 Suburban had R12, so it was still in use at that point in time. That does not mean Toyota was still using it.

Lastly the vehicle is 20 years old. Do you really need A/C? You are in Canada not Florida.
Yes we need a/c up here in Canada. We get lots of hot humid weather like you do over in upstate NY.

Buzzkill.
//static.fjcdn.com/pictures/You_8c6700_209281.jpg

Texas is in Canada?
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back