Dodge Ram 2500 w/ Cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at possibly installing a Bypass filter setup on my 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with the Cummins. The engine is modified with 150hp injectors, Edge Drag Comp, 64mm turbo..etc. I have right around 200K on the engine and am using Rotella 15w40 for oil.

Now I've tried reading up on bypass kits such as:

-Top Dog V
-Amsoil's kits
-Frantz
-DS2500

But can't really pin point which kit would be best for my engine. I do know that the DS2500 is out of my price range. Do any of yall run one of the other three kits I mentioned on your Cummins equipped Dodge? If so how are you liking it and how do you oil samples look?

I am considering the Amsoil. You need to consider where your going to get oil from and where to return it to. Many people make or buy a bracket and attach a single filter near the battery on the passenger side. They pull oil from a test port on the main filter mount and return it to the valve cover via a new cap. You can also return it to the pan or valve cover but you would need to drill holes.

On the flip side I talked to Geno's Garage via email and they said they do not carry one as its not an issue. The engine will last so long without one, that why bother adding a filter. It may make the UOA better, but the engine will outlive the frame & body so why bother.

And the truck will last(hopefully), but I'm not running a factory engine either.

I ordered a Oil Sample kit from Blackstone and I will test my current oil just before my regular oil change then I'll install a BD7317 in place of my Napa filter(stock location) then test the oil with the Baldwin. If my analysis come back better than the Napa, I'll probably just run that Baldwin filter and not even worry about a "remote" bypass setup.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave4x4
And the truck will last(hopefully), but I'm not running a factory engine either.

I ordered a Oil Sample kit from Blackstone and I will test my current oil just before my regular oil change then I'll install a BD7317 in place of my Napa filter(stock location) then test the oil with the Baldwin. If my analysis come back better than the Napa, I'll probably just run that Baldwin filter and not even worry about a "remote" bypass setup.

Do remember that soot most likely will increase with engine mods such as yours....either you will need to change the oil more often or get a good bypass system. Soot is like sandpaper to the internal engine if not kept in suspension and filtered out or drained.

Is the bypass install for a hobby?

I have experiance with the kleenoil units for work. They are effective in the applications I utilize them in. The ROI comes pretty quick as well.

You could install a Kleenoil KU-16. It will handle up to 4 gallon sumps.

I have researched the large mass market filters. I can say this: ANY mass market bypass filter is going to filter well more than good enough to do what you want it to do, so don't worry about which one is "best" at filtering, because they are all way better than you need. So choose your system on what is easy to attain and install, and has a replacement element cost that you find favorable.

But the real question is this: Do you "need" it at all, or do you just "want" it as a toy?
If you are going to greatly extend your OCIs, then it will pay for itself. If not, it's just a toy and you might as well just admit it's an emotional trip, and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Highline9
Look at the wix 57151.
Nice filter.

Within the next few weeks I will be installing some bypass filtration systems that are ISO 9001 certified. One on a cummins and a couple on powerstrokes.

I will try and do a tutorial with some photos.

My 2000 Dodge is almost identical to yours, although my injectors are more mild than the ones you've got.

On my truck I installed a Gulf Coast Filters O1, and it's almost too big. It uses a paper towel roll, and changing it can be a bit of a bear, but isn't too bad. The size really limits mounting locations, so with the smaller ones you've got a lot more options.

For the 2nd gen Dodges that we have I really like the Frantz and would probably recommend that one. I've got a Motorguard (similar to the Frantz) installed as a coolant filter and I'm very happy with it.

Originally Posted By: yucca
Within the next few weeks I will be installing some bypass filtration systems that are ISO 9001 certified. One on a cummins and a couple on powerstrokes.

I will try and do a tutorial with some photos.

If your going to track this vehicle with analysis like you do with your larger engines it would be interesting to see this vehicle(with bypass system) in comparison with others in your fleet with standard full flow and higher efficiency full flow filters.
I would think with a smaller sump, a high efficiency full flow maybe/could be a happy median.

The bypass filter isn't for a hobby.. It would be to help better protect my modified engine and extend my OCI.

LargeCarMan, I know about the 'extra' soot my mods lead to, that's another reason for me wanting the bypass. The truck is too much fun to drive with the mods, so they aren't coming off! haha Hopefully I can finish putting some money away and I can order twins for it.

As of right now I'm really leaning towards the Frantz.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave4x4

You will be pleasantly surprised and you should call Baldwin and talk to their engineers if you have any questions.
You should be able to stick with your normal oil change interval depending on you soot loading.
My 12 valve has more fuel than you do and as long as I drive normally soot is not too bad.
With as much fuel as you have you can overload your oil in a big hurry depending on how you drive and no bypass filter can keep up.

jim

Use a Fleetguard LF9028 as your primary filter. Its a direct cross for the Baldwin you were using. It is a venturi-combo bypass filter that has stratapore full-flow section and a stacked disk bypass section in one filter. As I recall, stratapore filter media has an efficiency of 99% 30 micron and 95% 10 micron. The stacked disc media is 98% 10 micron and 95% 5 micron. The Wix/Napa version for the LF9028 is a 57620XE. The Wix version does not have the seperate bypass filtration but is supposed to be a very high efficiency filter. The Wix efficiency is 2/20=14/25.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back