Any 3.6L Pentastar owners out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
So when they have to update this head 25 more times, will they have to roll the part number over from AX, AY, AZ, then to BA, BB, etc?

I guess if they still can't get it right, that could happen, I sure hope they got it with AC. LOL.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
So when they have to update this head 25 more times, will they have to roll the part number over from AX, AY, AZ, then to BA, BB, etc?

I guess if they still can't get it right, that could happen, I sure hope they got it with AC. LOL.
it could be the the difference between ab and ac could be truck/suv or car?

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

it could be the the difference between ab and ac could be truck/suv or car?

From what I read it refers to the upgrade of the head.

talked to a local Dealer here in Louisville and they are in fact having problems with the new head that they are replacing and ther is a national backorder on them.... Glad I did not make the purchase....
i

Cylinder 2 misfire on my fil's 2011 Grand Caravan, goes in tomorrow so we shall see.

I scanned it myself just out of curiosity but did not clear the code. Check MIL was on but then went off.

Well long story short, his van is getting a new head. It also has set a permanent misfire on cylinder 2. The backorder on heads is like 2 months so I guess we just wait now.

It'll misfire for two more months? Isn't that going to kill the catalytic converter? Is it a noticeable misfire?

Or have they parked the van and put him in a rental?

Only at idle so far that is apparently where it is most noticed. At speed you can't really tell(yet).

That cylinder had a 115psi compression score 33% leakdown. I guess the valve really isn't sealing that well at all. The dealer said to just drive it....it is CPO but I tend to wonder myself as to the time it will remain unfixed.

Last edited:
I've read some dealers aren't doing much until it throws a CEL. Mine is getting ready to reach the 12,000 mi death mark
smile.gif
. Currently, all is good.

I have a Charger with the 3.6, and an 8 speed. Have read these forums and others concerning the head problem. This engine is, as mentioned earlier, a hoot to drive. Have not driven any like it from a US maker yet. It has been mentioned that since the pentastar is so good, there are competitors that will find any problem found and blow it out of proportion by getting on these forums. Who knows for sure, but I believe Chrysler having put all its eggs in this basket for the Pentastar, really believe in it. Enough for me. Just look up GM and its 3.6 it puts in many cars. It has a documented history of problems. So, mine has about 8k on it so far. I use valvoline synpower 5w30, and it runs great. Will keep you posted.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Only at idle so far that is apparently where it is most noticed. At speed you can't really tell(yet).

That cylinder had a 115psi compression score 33% leakdown. I guess the valve really isn't sealing that well at all. The dealer said to just drive it....it is CPO but I tend to wonder myself as to the time it will remain unfixed.
I wouldn't drive it unless I was sure the warranty would cover "collateral damage".

The problem may be confined only to wranglers. The 3.6 Pentastar on other vehicles i.e Dodge Grand Caravan will be tuned differently, and may not see the same problem plaguing the wrangler.

The wrangler has a slightly better hp number, and you can't use the E85 on the wrangler. From what I have heard, Chrysler is blaming the fuel mixture and the aggressive driving as the cause of the head problem.

Originally Posted By: Billy007
The problem may be confined only to wranglers. The 3.6 Pentastar on other vehicles i.e Dodge Grand Caravan will be tuned differently, and may not see the same problem plaguing the wrangler.

The wrangler has a slightly better hp number, and you can't use the E85 on the wrangler. From what I have heard, Chrysler is blaming the fuel mixture and the aggressive driving as the cause of the head problem.

The head problem is in the Mini Vans and the GC's as well. I don't know how the numbers break down but the problem is not limited to the Wranglers. Chrysler is now up to cylinder head revision AC, they started off with AA. There are reports of early 2013's with the AB head having problems. I'm still on hold......

I haven't heard of any 2011-2013 GC or T$C having the head problem. Where did you hear about it? The only complaints I have heard was that the transmission is not smooth if you use the Econ mode to save on gas, and problematic brakes that don't last very long.

The brakes were upgraded for the 2013s, and there is a new software update for the transmission. Despite that these mini vans weigh 4500 pounds, people expect them to be driving like cars.

Chrysler's mini vans are competitively priced, the dealerships are not having any problem selling them.

I haven't heard of any 2011-2013 GC or T$C having the head problem. Where did you hear about it? The only complaints I have heard was that the transmission is not smooth if you use the Econ mode to save on gas, and problematic brakes that don't last very long.

The brakes were upgraded for the 2013s, and there is a new software update for the transmission. Despite that these mini vans weigh 4500 pounds, people expect them to be driving like cars.

Chrysler's mini vans are competitively priced, the dealerships are not having any problem selling them.

I read about it, then asked a Jeep service writer about it, he confirmed it. They are selling like hotcakes, a lot of people have the attitude that its covered under warranty and they aren't concerned. OTOH I want to be sure the problem is history before buying a new Wrangler.

Last edited:
The way I look at it. An entry level odyssey MSRP is $28,675 while an entry level Grand Caravan is $20,000 with the pentastar. People care, and are concerned about the reliability of their vehicle, but when other brands are selling for $8,000 premium, they figure they will take a chance on the Pentastar 3.6. The loan interest saving plus the deep discount from buying a Dodge Grand Caravan will help replace the engine, the transmission,...

The other thing, a lot of people replace their vehicles every 5 years. And for those who don't, they usually get an extended warranty. Everybody's situation is different. If you have doubts about the reliability of the engine, don't buy it. As for me, I don't have a problem buying a Dodge or a jeep with a 3.6 for the right price.

The problem is not widespread, otherwise Chrysler won't be putting them on Dodge, Chrysler, and Jeep. The warranty cost alone would bankrupt them.

As a 2011 Charger/3.6 owner I've been following this thread.

During the last few months my car had gradualy started running worse;
lack of throttle response/acceleration, also felt like inconsistent shift points.
Figured, great I probably have one of those 3.6 cylinder head problems.

Recently found a trick online, resetting the throttle pedal sensor:

-Cycle ignition button to RUN without starting the engine,
-wait for all the dash warning lights to go out
-very slowly depress accelerator pedal to floor
-very slowly release accelerator pedal
-cycle ignition button to OFF

Restart and drive.

Feels likes a completely different car now!
Great acceleration, throttle response, even better than when car was new.

Last edited:
The way I look at it. An entry level odyssey MSRP is $28,675 while an entry level Grand Caravan is $20,000 with the pentastar. People care, and are concerned about the reliability of their vehicle, but when other brands are selling for $8,000 premium, they figure they will take a chance on the Pentastar 3.6. The loan interest saving plus the deep discount from buying a Dodge Grand Caravan will help replace the engine, the transmission,...

The other thing, a lot of people replace their vehicles every 5 years. And for those who don't, they usually get an extended warranty. Everybody's situation is different. If you have doubts about the reliability of the engine, don't buy it. As for me, I don't have a problem buying a Dodge or a jeep with a 3.6 for the right price.

The problem is not widespread, otherwise Chrysler won't be putting them on Dodge, Chrysler, and Jeep. The warranty cost alone would bankrupt them.

I own a Jeep I like them, and will probably buy another. They are close to a fix, and once I see concrete evidence the problem is history I'm in. Chrysler bet big on this engine, they have to get it right, and I think they will. Like you said everybody's situation is different, so are their buying habits. I was a bit disappointed to see some of the early 2013's have been in for the head swap. It appears they didn't get the engine with the AC head, I guess there were some left over 2012 engines with the AB head that made it into 2013's. I decided to wait because with my luck I'd be someone that had an engine problem. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back