Hankook Optimo 4S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if this alleged four-season tire---a la the Nokian WR G2---is available in the USA? I can only find references from Canada and England. Most curious.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: faramir9
Anyone know if this alleged four-season tire---a la the Nokian WR G2---is available in the USA? I can only find references from Canada and England. Most curious.

Thanks.

Musta been something I said....I take it no one else has much info on this tire, either. Not sure why Hankook would market it in Canada but not the USA. Strange.

not sold in usa.

canada and europe only right now.

nokian wrg2 is I got my set online as there were no local sellers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
not sold in usa.

canada and europe only right now.

nokian wrg2 is I got my set online as there were no local sellers.

Thanks. Hard to figure why Hankook would not try to undercut the Nokian WRG2 market in the USA. Yep, I have wanted to try the WR/WRG2 ever since I ran Hakka RSI winter tires in 2006 or so. But as you say they are just too expensive. Each time, I either could not afford them or could not justify the price premium.

Two months ago I bought new Hankook H727s for my Saturn. After two rebates, (DTD and Hankook) and a coupon for the local Firestone that installed them, it came to about $210. Nokian WRG2 would have been north of $500---and I have yet to see a Nokian rebate, or a rebate on Nokians from the few places that sell them online. (or B+M, for that matter)

Ah, if it were not for silly money....

Probably because Hankook still wants people to buy their snow tires.

They sell it in Canada, due to making some people's lives easier in the Quebec Province's mandatory winter tire law

I am sure you can find some reviews if you go through a couple omore pages of search results:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tyre-guides/45314/hankook-optimo-4s

The 4S alsO won some German magazine`s award back when it came out in 2009.

From everything I`ve read, seems better in the dry & rain than Nokian`s WG (but worse on snow & ice) and better than W-drive in winter conditions (but not as good in dry).

I`d still only use them in the winter. All that testing was with a new tire. If it has any kind of winter-biased compound, then driving it in the hot months will harden the tire and diminish its ice and cold-wet grip and could be worse than all-season by the 3rd year.

But if like us in Toronto, your winters have mellowed to the point where 90% of the `winter` you`r driving in what used to be October conditions, then halfway winter tire that doesnt sacrifice much in the dry might make sense`.

Last edited:

Thanks.

Absolutely and the best all around all-season tire I have every purchased. Really.

We had a set in 215/45/17's(v-rated) on our Subaru Turbo wagon. They were superior to other tires in heavy wet and better than Blizzack's/Michelin true snow tires in slush. Ice/Snow capability while not as good as pure winter tire superior to any all-season. (the Conti ExtremeContact DWS brand new was worst than 45k worn WR G2's in winter stuff).

They were quiet, long lasting. In hot weather the dry grip was average though but more than enough for average driving(wife).

I regret not purchasing them again although the major con is expensive. I am fortunate to have a 45 mile away Nokian tire dealer who undercuts mail order prices installed. I am sure more now but I spent $680 installed for mine. Price was on par with Michelin and Bridgeston discounted

My wife has every version of this tire since the Nokian NRW>Nokian WR>Nokian WR G2. They only get better.

Beyond important is to rotate them. They chop if not.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

Thanks.

Absolutely and the best all around all-season tire I have every purchased. Really.

We had a set in 215/45/17's(v-rated) on our Subaru Turbo wagon. They were superior to other tires in heavy wet and better than Blizzack's/Michelin true snow tires in slush. Ice/Snow capability while not as good as pure winter tire superior to any all-season. (the Conti ExtremeContact DWS brand new was worst than 45k worn WR G2's in winter stuff).

They were quiet, long lasting. In hot weather the dry grip was average though but more than enough for average driving(wife).

I regret not purchasing them again although the major con is expensive. I am fortunate to have a 45 mile away Nokian tire dealer who undercuts mail order prices installed. I am sure more now but I spent $680 installed for mine. Price was on par with Michelin and Bridgeston discounted

My wife has every version of this tire since the Nokian NRW>Nokian WR>Nokian WR G2. They only get better. Beyond important is to rotate them. They chop if not.

Thanks much for the rave review of the WR-G2. I want to try that tire someday for sure, but it's just too darn expensive, barring a rebate or sale which never seems to happen on Nokians.

To tell you the truth, in this thread I was seeking more info on the Hankook Optimo 4S. (Love my H727s so far, but better winter grip is always good here.) I cannot find a way to order it in the USA, let alone buy it in a retail tire shop. Seems strange to me....oh, well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back