Armstrong 11-994 Maxx Locking Flex Ratchet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

It's not a knock-off if it is made by the same company
wink.gif
LOL!

You're mostly correct. I assumed everyone here knew that, but I guess I should have been more clear. I was just using the "knock-off" claim made by a previous poster.

But, to muddy the water, Armstrong is now part of Apex Tool Group, but Danaher kept the Matco brand, so Matco is still technically owned by Danaher. It's not clear that Danaher kept any manufacturing facilities, so the Matco branded tools could very well now be made in Apex factories.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

Well, HF will be selling this for $15 (and Gearwrench will sell them for $30) when they start marketing it. In all likely, it will come off the same assembly line as the other two. Most of you probably do not believe that.

$120 Matco / Snap-on
$60 Armstrong
$30 Gearwrench
$15 HF

The same reason why somebody is buying Armstrong rather than Snap-on, I want to buy HF instead of Armstrong :)

Your claim about them all coming off the same assembly line is false, which is why most of us probably don't believe it.

Nope, Armstrong/GearWrench/HF tools do not all come off the same assembly line. I'm not bashing HF. I'm no HF hater, but that claim is false.

GearWrench is another brand owned by Apex, so their fine tooth ratchets use a similar mechanism to the Matco/Armstron. But, the Matco and Armstrong ratchets are made in the USA. The GearWrench ratchets are made in Taiwan and China. And, there are no locking GearWrench flex ratchets that I've ever seen.

I know that there are *today* no locking flex ratchets made either by either HF or Gearwrench. Currently all of the locking flex ratchets are made in USA. What if I change my statement to say this?

Quote:
The same reason why somebody is buying Armstrong rather than Snap-on, I want to buy HF instead of Gearwrench :)

There is a very old joke with the punch line, "mam, I already know what kind of woman you are, now we are only haggling over the price"! That is very applicable to the point I am making. People purchase the stuff which they find the most cost effective. So some of us can decide between Snap-On vs Armstrong and others can decide between GW vs HF or between Armstrong vs GW. The principle is similar.

Getting back to the original topic, few months ago I had no choice but to use a 140 teeth (2.5 degree swing, Triangle) ratchet and afterwards I knew that my next ratchet purchase has to be in that ballpark and it has to be low profile and has to have a locking flex. If I come across something like that I will pay the price. Armstrong is very close to meeting that except the teeth count.

Can they be modified to take the "dual" mechanism which from what I understand halves the swing arc i.e. 6 degree 60 teeth would behave as 3 degree 120 teeth with "dual"?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back