New to me Envoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ended up buying an '05 SLE 2WD with 56,000 miles from a diplomat who's the original owner. We made a gentleman's agreement and the truck will be in my possession next week, once payment and the registration transfer is sorted out.

Everything on the truck is original, save for the front upper/lower control arm bushings and engine/transmission mounts. Previous owner replaced these before he sold me the vehicle. The control arm bushings were replaced with Raybestos Professional Grade ones and the mounts were replaced with Genuine GM parts.

History wise, the engine's had oil changes every 3,000 miles with Kendall 10W-30 (guy didn't know about the OLM) and that was about it. The tires need replacing, which I will do shortly after I take delivery - going with Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires. Being an export vehicle, it came with 255/60R17 106H tires, along with a few other differences I'm still finding out about.

Going to be replacing a couple of things, namely:

- Spark plug and coil boots (probably Autolite Double Platinum)
- ATF (ACDelco or Kendall Dexron-VI) and filter (Genuine GM)
- PSF (Genuine GM stuff)
- Rear axle lube (Genuine GM 75W-90 synthetic)
- Coolant (ACDelco Dexcool at a 50/50 ratio)
- Brake fluid (Mercedes-Benz DOT 4 Plus)
- Fuel filter (WIX, Purolator or ACDelco)
- Air filter (Wix, Purolator or ACDelco)

Engine oil wise, I haven't decided yet. But my choices are probably going to be:

- PU Euro 5W-40
- PP 5W-30
- Kendall GT-1 5W-30 Full Synthetic
- Liqui Moly Leichtlauf Special LL 5W-30 (MB 229.5 rated)

I'll be changing it based on the OLM, and will probably be using a Purolator PureONE or WIX filter (not a fan of the e-Core filters).

I'm thinking about replacing the wheels with steelies while I'm at it, but haven't been able to decide on which way to go. Seems Silverado wheels are a popular choice, but I'm looking to see if I can go with the standard steel wheels with a chrome GMC center cap if I can find a match.

Windows will be tinted 30% shortly, and I'm also thinking about debadging the rear gate and painting the chrome grille surround body color. Isuzu Ascender taillights are also looking highly attractive. Also looking to upgrade to TrailBlazer SS front/rear shocks and springs.

I also need to get a front license plate bracket and sort out an auto dim rearview mirror, I hate the day/night one that's on the truck right now.

These are some pictures I snapped before we agreed on the sale with the owner. Not exactly clean, since there was a dust storm the day these were taken:

27yz96d.jpg

35bazo7.jpg

2h3u0yh.jpg

Unless they're obscenely expensive for you, use ACDelco/GM spark plugs as well.

Yes, they're worth it.

I was only considering the Autolites because I've had very good experiences with them. The ACDelco plugs are iridium and cost about $5.35 a piece. Not a bad deal by any means.

I would use the PP 5w-30. also stick the acdelco plugs.

Last edited:
I didn't know Envoys came in 2wd. Better in the long run anyway.. Less parts!

I owned a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer 4x4. The 4.2L Atlas/Vortec 4.2L holds ~6qts of oil, so 3Kmi oil changes aren't necessary.

I'd get the ATF swapped out on that 4L60E trans ASAP if it hasn't been done. I'd probably do a cooler line pumpout and refill, drive it for a week or three, then drop the pan and do a filter change if you want.

I know the rear differential oil was BLACK and ugly on my 2005 when I swapped it out @ under 40K miles. The rear diff gasket is metal/rubber and reusable.

Joel

They were illegal until last year. Now up to 30% is permissible. Dealerships still don't order vehicles with tint though.

Quote:
I'm thinking about replacing the wheels with steelies while I'm at it, but haven't been able to decide on which way to go. Seems Silverado wheels are a popular choice, but I'm looking to see if I can go with the standard steel wheels with a chrome GMC center cap if I can find a match.

May want to look into this.

Envoy, Trailblazer, and the like used an oddball 6-127 lug pattern. The full size trucks use a larger 6-139 lug spacing on their wheels.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Quote:

May want to look into this.

Envoy, Trailblazer, and the like used an oddball 6-127 lug pattern. The full size trucks use a larger 6-139 lug spacing on their wheels.

Thanks for point that out. Seems the guys over at Trailvoy.com have used spacers with the fullsize truck wheels. Having said that, I wonder what center cap I can fit on the GMT360 steel wheels?
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Thanks for point that out. Seems the guys over at Trailvoy.com have used spacers with the fullsize truck wheels. Having said that, I wonder what center cap I can fit on the GMT360 steel wheels?
confused.gif

I was going to add that. At the very least, you'd need a spacer/adapter.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
use ACDelco/GM spark plugs as well

Better than NGK?
On several boards it is written that AC Delco Iridiums are actually re-branded NGK Iridiums. Some of the posts are written by people in the parts business. They state AC Delco isn't making much these days and that almost everything from AC Delco is re-branded.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
use ACDelco/GM spark plugs as well

Better than NGK?
On several boards it is written that AC Delco Iridiums are actually re-branded NGK Iridiums. Some of the posts are written by people in the parts business. They state AC Delco isn't making much these days and that almost everything from AC Delco is re-branded.

That was the consensus when I asked a couple years ago. Pic is courtesy of OVERK1LL from this thread.
41-101AC2.jpg

Nice. I like regular wheelbase GMT360s.

IIRC even the spare wheel was a black painted alloy with a different design than the others. I think some steel GMT800 wheels would look good though, especially with a mild 1"-2" lift and some larger tires.

Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

01rangerlx, I think those black alloys were offered in 16" size for the first two years of production or so. I'm not sure. Only thing is, with the oddball bolt pattern, it's very difficult to find a good set of wheels.

I'm thinking about getting the current set of 17" wheels powdercoated black or titanium gray and leaving the hub cap as is:

2009-gmc-envoy-2wd-4-door-sle-wheel-cap_100243054_l.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back