Mobil Delvac 1 2004 VW Jetta PD 20,250 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Double check that. I've only seen it available in 4 qt. containers. Still a good price and value, IMO.
smile.gif

Its also available in Qt Bottles labeled "Mobil 1 TurboDiesel Truck"

Originally Posted By: milehighassassin
Is this oil a 505.01 approved oil? Those numbers are great.

That's a negative -- Mobil Delvac 5w40 (aka Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck) carries an API CI-4 Plus rating. So it should not be used in any VW PD engine that is still under warranty.

What's really scary as this oil looks like it has another 10-12k left in it! I've used my share of this oil over the years-good stuff.

I once gave my Dad enough D-1 to fill his skidder one winter, because he always said synthetic oil wasn't worth the extra expense. That was 4 years ago and the skidder hasn't been run on conventional oil since. Cheaper isn't always cheaper.

Awesome report.

REDDOG

Because of the weather (and work commitments), my Jetta is 1k past due for her 10k oil change. I hope to get a sample off to the lab this week and have it posted sometime next week. Next fill will be CJ-4 Delvac 1 ESP.
Stand by...

Where are all of you buying your delvac one from? I have searched all over including auto zone, carquest, wal-mart, etc. All I can find is the mineral 15w40.

Hi,
Ponch - Delvac lubricants are the "Commercial" range of ExxonMobil's lubricant range. They expect to sell them to Commercial consumers. They are not available everywhere and EM is NOT the World's best Marketing organisation IMHO

When I was using large quanities of Delvac 1 5w-40 in my Heavy Trucks I had difficulty purchasing it in almost every major City here in Australia - including Mobil's TruckStops
In the end each of my Interstate Linehaul trucks carried only enough oil to cover the 6000kkms per litre topup requirement

Despite representations it is still the same way ten years on!

The only reliable source here was the "local" Mobil Distributor!

Last edited:
Ponch,

Last I knew Caterpillar DEO synthetic was rebadged Delvac 1. If there is a Caterpillar dealer near you, that may be a potential source.

REDDOG

Originally Posted By: Ponch
Where are all of you buying your delvac one from? I have searched all over including auto zone, carquest, wal-mart, etc. All I can find is the mineral 15w40.

Ponch,

If you don't need (or want) a CJ-4 oil, Delvac 1 is available as "Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck" 5w40, from AV Lube. Farm and Fleet stores (and AV Lube, of course) are now carrying the CJ-4 Delvac 1 ESP too.

Mark

It's a pity the lab does not list universal average for comparison. The only figure that stands out slightly is the Aluminium, but without the universal averages it's difficult to know if that is high or not.
Delvac is a good oil if your exhaust system is OK with the Zinc content, which the modern diesels with the silly DPF are not.
Surprised it does not use Moly as an anti wear, although if the base stock and other additives are good enough, it is no longer required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back