How old is this MMO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was cleaning out an old barn and found a metal can of Marvel. It's still about half full. Wondering how old this stuff could be and if it'd be safe to use?

005.jpg

Bad picture, cant see the whole thing.

It was sold in metal cans until the late 1990s.

1980s to 1990s I would guess.That can looked the same until they went to a plastic bottle.

Originally Posted By: Donald
It was not safe to use when it was new!!

LOLOLOL

Use it have no fears! I still had a few cans like that up until about a year or so ago.

I'd run that fingerprint by the FBI, I think Jimmy Hoffa might be under that barn's floorboards!

Thanks for the humor and info guys. We'll probably use it in the air tools around the shop and not in any crankcases.

I remember the 'honestly so' slogan from a long time ago--that has disappeared from later labeling-maybe that will jar someone's memory

Originally Posted By: morris
if its that bad how long will be till it damages my engine? i have been using it for 3 decades.

Great question Morris, I have close to 4 decades of using it. How about this, when we damage an engine using it lets post about it here. There are a lot of people that would be interested in reading about it I'm sure.

^ So if I use this old stuff and it damages something can I come back and flame you guys? (sarcasm fully intended)

Originally Posted By: msmoke00
^ So if I use this old stuff and it damages something can I come back and flame you guys? (sarcasm fully intended)

Why not?

just to rub it in. i started driving in 1965, i have had 15-17 cars/trucks. only one had a damaged engine, it came to me like that. so even before i started using MMO my engines was not going bad.

i just left the Marvel Mystery Oil web site. it says MMO was started in 1923. this oil is part of the famous Marvel Carburetor fame.

Mm, well I have used ZX1 with no detrimental results and never having suffered any engine related issues that are attributable to oil or lubrication.

But when I posted a thread to share experiences I was basically told it was snake oil.

Even though there is probably less scientific information on the MMO website.

My personal feeling is that there will always be financial considerations when it comes to products.

As they need to make a product that balances performance and profit.

So it is possible that products such as ZX1 and MMO do indeed assist in the long running of engines or whatever they are used for.

But due to things such as cost or such like things such as Moly and ZDDP are the additives chosen by the oil industry.

And if this had occurred would the allegations of snake oil now be directed at ZDDP and Moly.

Just thinking out loud.

Never used MMO.

But not going to attack and poke fun at those that are happy with what the product has done for them.

plearse NOTE i have/will not say any thing bad or good about these products, other than MMO. after all i have not tryed them ALL. edit, an exception. i live in Wichita KS the brand BG is made here, they have been around a long time. i have NEVER heard anything bad about BG. i have heard good about the product MOA.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back