Tap,Tap,Tap... and i already know its the filter !

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as ive mentioned in other threads i purchased a New to me Milan with 21,xxx on the clock recently. Car purrrrred with no engine noise at all. As part of my buying a new car routine i drained and filled the oil with Mobil 1 5-20 and put a Napa Gold filter on it. Shortly after the oil was changed my wife said she was hearing a "tapping/ticking sound" She first observed this while in a drive through ( engine sound bouncing off the wall) I can start the car now and after it has calmed down to a normal Idle its very clearly got a very very minor Tap on the top end. I didnt look at the oil filter that was on the car but as it was maintained by the dealer i can only assume it was a Motorcraft. With that said i cant see any damage being done using the Napa Gold thats currently on the car, can you ?
Obviously i plan on switching to Motorcraft (surely this will cure the problem)

I purchased 4 Napa Golds for this car.. guess i will see if i can exchange them..

Opinions ?

Could be the M1... Try a different oil. I doubt the oil filter would be the cause of the noise.

Many complain M1 is among the noisier oils, but I'd be pretty surprised if a Motorcraft filter doesn't clear it up.

If the car ticks after startup it's not the filter...

Are you sure you're not hearing the injectors? Is this vehicle a rollerized valvetrain?

Although any brand can have an occasional defect, using an MC filter will usually help reduce or eliminate start-up noise, but a tapping noise while running is not generally a filter issue.

I had the same problem with my 95 Nissan truck. I was also using a Napa gold filter. The next oil change I used a Nissan filter and it stopped ticking.

Hyundais and Kias have a well known issue with some filters causing knocks. It happened on my Sonata with a Champ Labs STP filter from Autozone.

In this situation it's not a knock at start up, it's a knock while running. It was surprisingly loud on my car. I was sure the engine was toast, but a genuine Hyundai filter fixed it.

So, filters can cause noise in situations other than just start up.

Originally Posted By: GC4lunch
Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
i purchased a New to me Milan with 21,xxx on the clock recently.
Opinions ?

The I-4 or the Duratec V6?

Its the 6 cyln. and to those saying injectors.. Maybee .. I just find it odd that while looking over the car, test driving listening with hood open.. then buying.. changing oil and filter and now im hearing the noise ? maybee it was there all along and we just didnt pay attention to it.. I dunno.

The tapping is just ever, ever so faint.. it doesnt really sound like a metal tapping.. this is why the mention of injector tapping has me thingking.. Tomorrow i will put my ear on it and listen much closer..

If a oil filter was causing lifter tapping sound after warmup the bearings would be toasted first. If the oil filter was that restrictive wouldn't the bypass open? Either that or the oil pump is junk.
Engine oil has more to do with noise than oil filters.

Mobil 1 made every engine I ever put it in tap or tick. I'm sure it's protecting fine however I couldn't take it so I ditched the oil. When I use other brands I get no noise.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
If a oil filter was causing lifter tapping sound after warmup the bearings would be toasted first. If the oil filter was that restrictive wouldn't the bypass open? Either that or the oil pump is junk.
Engine oil has more to do with noise than oil filters.

so many claim that the motorcraft filter stopped clinking and clacking that i presumed that not running the motorcraft was my problem.. maybee your right with the mobil 1.

Im very close to switching all my oils back to penzoil again.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Originally Posted By: Dan55
IIRC there was a TSB on that noise in that particular vehicle. Here you go 08-3-10 FEB 08 Engine - Ticking Noise From L/H Cylinder Head
link http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/927862-2007-fusion-v6-engine-clicking.html

my work computer wont allow me to open that site, another link ? was tehre a recall ?

Here's a cut & paste of the TSB from the link above:

Engine - Ticking Noise From L/H Cylinder Head
Notes

TSB 08-3-10

02/18/08

CAMSHAFT TICK NOISE - 3.0L 4V ENGINE ONLY
WITH EXHAUST CAMSHAFT DRIVEN WATER PUMPS

FORD:
2005-2007 Five Hundred, Freestyle
2006-2007 Fusion
2006-2008 Escape

LINCOLN:
2006 Zephyr

MERCURY:
2005-2007 Montego
2006-2007 Milan
2006-2008 Mariner

This article supersedes TSB 07-13-10 to add a production fix date.

ISSUE
Some 2005-2007 Five Hundred, Freestyle, Montego, and 2006-2007 Fusion, Milan, 2006 Zephyr, 2006-2008 Escape and Mariner vehicles built 1/17/2006 thru 5/31/2007, equipped with the 3.0L 4V Duratec engine with exhaust camshaft driven water pumps may exhibit a ticking noise from the left bank cylinder head with the engine at normal operating temperature.

ACTION
Refer to the following Service Procedure to identify and resolve the engine ticking noise.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
To diagnose, with the engine running and warm (normal operation temperature), using a mechanic's stethoscope, determine if ticking noise is coming from the left hand exhaust camshaft at cylinder number 6 (Figure 1). If ticking noise can be verified, refer to the following Service Procedure.

For 2008 Escape and Mariner, check the date on the LH cam cover engine label. If the engine build date is 5/16/2007 or before, refer to the following to identify and resolve the engine ticking noise. For engines built after this date, this procedure does not apply; refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-00.

For 2007 Fusion and Milan check the date on the front cover engine label. If the engine build date is 5/9/2007 or before, refer to the following to identify and resolve the engine ticking noise. For engines built after this date, this procedure does not apply; Refer to WSM, Section 303-00.

1. Remove the left hand camshaft cover. Refer to WSM, Section 303-01 of the appropriate manual.

2. Rotate the engine clockwise until the cylinder number 6 exhaust cam lobes are pointing up and the valves are fully closed.

3. Remove all left hand exhaust cam caps individually and reinstall them finger tight.

4. Torque bolts in sequence as shown in Figure 2, to 72 lb-in (8 N.m) excluding cam cap number 4L camshaft cap.

5. Using a screw driver positioned on each side of the top of cam cap number 4L (Figure 3), apply hand pressure and shift cam cap number 4L toward the exhaust side of the cylinder head.

6. While holding cam cap number 4L in the shifted position, torque the fastener number 9 (inboard) first, to 72 lb-in (8 N.m) then torque fastener number 10. (Figure 3)

7. Install the left hand camshaft cover. Refer to appropriate WSM, Section 303-01.

8. Fully warm the engine to verify the repair.

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT : Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

so with me being the second owner, and the car being out of warranty, Does the TSB apply to us ?

The engine doesn't care if you're the first owner or the seventh.

A TSB isn't a recall. It's a bulletin to get information out. They want more successful repairs, but unless otherwise stated, that doesn't mean there's any extra warranty coverage. As it applying to you it doesn't matter how many owners the car had before you. If you have that car with that problem, and you want it fixed then it applies.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
The engine doesn't care if you're the first owner or the seventh.

A TSB isn't a recall. It's a bulletin to get information out. They want more successful repairs, but unless otherwise stated, that doesn't mean there's any extra warranty coverage. As it applying to you it doesn't matter how many owners the car had before you. If you have that car with that problem, and you want it fixed then it applies.

thumbs up, i will look into this. much thanks

If the noise continues after several seconds, it's not the filter. The filter will be passing lube via the media and/or bypass in very short order.

You bought the car used? There is always the possibliity that the car had the tick long before you bought it, and the pervious owner added something to the oil to quiet the engine down, STP, LOS or something along that order. You changed the oil and filter removed that product and discovered the tick. It can and does happen. You can try some of the above suggestions but keep in mind what I said. I sold cars for a few years and had a used car manager who did just that when we took a trade with a noisy engine. It is an old trick, and I wasn't the least bit surprised seeing it done. I hope I'm wrong though, good luck. I hope it has something to do with the TSB mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back