Flattened out leaf springs

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dads truck has 225000 miles and we took the wore out leaf springs and took the to a shop to get them re arched.we got them back and put them on and here are some pics of them. The truck is a 1500 dodge truck 2002

1352557422.JPG
[/img]
1352557422.JPG
[/img]
1352557422.JPG
[/img]

Just wondering: How much did it set you back to get the pair rearched?? Also, did they add an additional leaf to prevent it from sagging again??

Originally Posted By: jfinstad99
My dads truck has 225000 miles and we took the wore out leaf springs and took the to a shop to get them re arched.we got them back and put them on and here are some pics of them. The truck is a 1500 dodge truck 2002

1352557422.JPG

You only posted one image, three times, and in badly-butchered code.

I have taken the liberty of repairing the code for you in the quote above, so that the image is now visible.

Originally Posted By: Tegger

You only posted one image, three times, and in badly-butchered code.

It is his first post - give the guy a break.

it cost 120$ per side and they didn't add an additional leaf. Me and my dad were expecting a better ride but it ended up being only a little better so we are going to get new shocks next.

While I'm sure some companies are better than others, I've had limited success having leaf springs re-arched. The ones I have used did not last as long as the originals. I've had very good luck using new leaf springs from Inland Truck Parts, although I will admit I've used their products only on trucks, not cars. My last product that I used from them were replacement leaf springs for a Chevy diesel pickup and the owner was very satisfied.
A quick search on their site says they do re-arching also. (Search engine the company)

ya im only 14 so i was kinda confused, sorry for everything.

Welcome to BITOG, young man! May you stay, learn, and feed your automotive obsessions.

My dads truck has 225000 miles and we took the wore out leaf springs and took the to a shop to get them re arched.

Ahhh, so they weren't actually worn out. They had lost their shape.

A correctly tempered steel spring used within its elastic limit should retain its shape indefinitely.

Bending a spring back into shape is unlikely to be a long term fix. They need to be heated and re-tempered. The shop needs to know the exact alloy to re-temper correctly. And if it wasn't done correctly during original fabrication, the corner shop isn't likely to do much better.

Why not just buy new springs?

BTW I love looking underneath southern vehicles, I have seen Dodge Ram's of that vintage rusted threw up here!

I have never actually removed leaf springs to save them, I always cut the old ones off with the hard wear and buy new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back