Statistics or discrete math?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In order to get an AA in math (that I don't need), I need to take one extra math class. I can choose between statistics or discrete math. Which math would better suit me as a mechanical engineer in the future? Discrete math is more useful for software and computer engineers than it is for mechanical engineers.

I really don't need the AA degree, but since I would have everything I need, from my engineering math classes, for an AA in math except 3 more credits, I was thinking of taking one more class just so I could get a useless piece of paper (degree). The class would basically cost me $200 either way and take 4 months. The grade is unimportant: I would just need a C or better, and I could probably do that by sleeping in the class. If I am going to waste the money, I would like it to be somewhat useful.

Statistics. I'm an ME and find that if you do any sort of predictive analysis or testing sort of work, a solid background in statistics is critical. It will also make you much better informed when reading about things involving statistics, which almost never get correctly reported in the media.

jeff

Statistics is great for confidence intervals (CI) which is really handy in the quality control fields - a must for any production or manufacturing job.

Discrete Math, on the other hand, provides some of the ground work for FEA which is essential for aerospace.

What are you planning on doing??

Quote:
Statistics is great for confidence intervals (CI) which is really handy in the quality control fields - a must for any production or manufacturing job.

Discrete Math, on the other hand, provides some of the ground work for FEA which is essential for aerospace.

Gabe has some insightful thoughts. What you intend to do in the future would affect the choice(s).

I would suggest Stats for the time being and then a re-evaluation of your future plans.

But please learn, don't slide through the stats.

Originally Posted By: Gabe

Most likely I want to design things for cars, trucks, and motorcycles especially engines. I also like firearms, and have a few ideas I would like to try out. I am not interested in airplanes or space flight.

As a chemist, I side with statistics. This will help you with designed experiments and aid you in becoming certified in Six Sigma, should you ever want to do that.

Another vote for statistics. It was required for my civil engineering curriculum. It shouldn't be too tough for you, but it is somewhat different from the calculus' classes you are probably used to. More head scratching and deciding on what various formulas are needed for a specific problem from what I recall.

I'll also throw out there that I only needed 1 or 2 extra math classes to get a mathematics minor when I was graduating, but what does that do for you in the long run? Personally I decided against it. Perhaps statistics may actually be beneficial or interesting for you.

Also, IMO, get out of Nor Cal and into somewhere like umich.
I kept thinking Cal Poly Pomona would cover automotive engines. At the time I went through it was a feeder university for aerospace. Guess what they taught. Guess where I work.

I'm sad to say that I agree with statistics.

A large part of an engineer's life (can be) trying to convince beancounters that statistically, the business is at more risk if aged equipment is left in service rather than replaced...and statistics help you down that path.

Was years ago in a meeting where another engineer was using statistical analysis to justify a major project and introduced Weibull analysis of similar kit around the world.

One of the beancounters piped up and said "Weibull ???"
I replied "It's what we have to use when you guys don't get logic"

Originally Posted By: spackard
Also, IMO, get out of Nor Cal and into somewhere like umich.
I kept thinking Cal Poly Pomona would cover automotive engines. At the time I went through it was a feeder university for aerospace. Guess what they taught. Guess where I work.

I don't want to go any further south than Monterey: I hate SoCal (the inhabited parts). The possibilities right now are Berkley, Davis, Merced, or San Francisco State. Berkeley, Davis, and Merced all cost more than S.F. State, so unless I get a full or partial scholarship those will be out also. I don't want to go to San Jose State. I like Humbolt because of all the trees, and because I could hunt and fish all the time, but they dont teach ME.
They have something called the Western States University Exchange Program. Basically you chose a university in another western state, and someone trades places with you to come to California. It includes all the states from New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana westward to Hawaii. Hawaii would be nice, but I would end up surfing instead of going to class. Nevada would be nice, but I am more inclined to go to either Montana or Wyoming.

I've been to both the UC system and the state university system, and IMO the UC system gives you a lot more in educational quality and reputation when you look for jobs. They take in the better students and they seems to have better instructors. So if cost is not that high in your priority, I'd go to the higher ranking / harder to get in UC school (Berkeley, then Davis) especially for engineering.

Also whatever you take, make sure it can be transferred into your future program's curriculum, otherwise you are just wasting effort and have to take something again later.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Most likely I want to design things for cars, trucks, and motorcycles especially engines. I also like firearms, and have a few ideas I would like to try out. I am not interested in airplanes or space flight.

Davis had (probably still has, but name changed) FutureCar program that you can build hybrid for competitions, as well as the usual Formula SAE and other Mechatronics related research work you can join.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Also whatever you take, make sure it can be transferred into your future program's curriculum, otherwise you are just wasting effort and have to take something again later.

Statistics are not needed or useful for transfer.

The classes I am taking are transferable. I use Assist.org to check for transfer eligibility. http://www.assist.org/web-assist/welcome.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back