General Grabber STX @ Walmart - Any Experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A co-worker is on a tight budget and needs tires in the 235/70/16 size.

I was at Walmart today and saw noticed a Walmart-exclusive tire called the General Grabber STX. No info on it is posted on the Walmart.com website, but one thread I found on a different forum suggests that it is a private label tire for Walmart with a lot of similarity to the popular General Grabber HTS. If I recall correctly, the treadwear warranty is also 60k.

The main advantage of this tire is price. In this size, it is only $108/tire! This is more than 20% cheaper the Grabber HTS.

Does anyone have experience with this tire? 4 of these mounted & balanced, with road hazard and the current $50 rebate, is $500 - which is at least $100 less than the next cheapest tire on the market.

Thanks.

Purchased a set of 4 last week 235/70/16,Ihave about 250 miles on them.It is early but no complaints,the ride is good,they are very quite,the traction both wet and dry is outstanding.They are installed on a 2005 ford ranger.

I had grabber hts on my escape. They were very good in wet weather, rode well and i had about 30k on them when i traded. I had no reason to think they would not make it to 50k. I like them better than the michelin crossterrains previously on it. I dont' know if this is the same tire you found at wal mart

These appear to have only a superficial tread difference compared to the Grabber HTS, similar to the Harmony/Destiny/X Radial DT/WeatherWise II from Michelin was.

Can you find out more about the STX? Like UTQG ratings, construction, plant of manufacture for a given size, etc? That could point to these being similar, if not the same tire.

Originally Posted By: weebl
These appear to have only a superficial tread difference compared to the Grabber HTS, similar to the Harmony/Destiny/X Radial DT/WeatherWise II from Michelin was.

Can you find out more about the STX? Like UTQG ratings, construction, plant of manufacture for a given size, etc? That could point to these being similar, if not the same tire.

I can go back next week and report.

I wouldnt buy tires from walmart.

You dont know what they cheaped out on to make walmarts aggressive price.

maybe the anti-aging stuff.. maybe the compound... who knows.

before I did that I'd tirerack or DTD some tires and get them mounted at walmart.

I usually use the local hyundai dealer as they roadforce mount and balance for 17$/tire

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back