how to fix battery leaking electrolyte thro vents?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I's a slow leak, but noticeable. I opened the vents and levels are still OK. Any solutions. It's JC made StartMax 5 year old and still working fine. It has been leaking slowly for a while (couple of years?). I usually put some paper towel between caps and that soaks the electrolyte (and turns to duct from acid).

Could be the heat of summer. My cars have some accumulation in most times of the year. They have yet to fail due to small amount of leakage. I would not worry about it unless it gets to be a large leak.

Sometimes the electrolyte leaks out more when the water is filled to touching the bottom of the fill tube. In other works if you fill water till it touches the well part it turns the water convex. If you reached that point you might want to try it below where it gets to that point.

Wallyworld has a nice little set of green and red felt rings with an acid netutralizer soaked into them, they go under the terminals. They last for years. I'd bet on slight overcharging. No regulator is perfect, and charge requirements change with usage and temp. Lead acid batteries tend to dissipate some of the "float charge" current they draw eve n when fully charged as heat. As a battery ages, that "float current" goes up a bit and the extra heat can cause the acid/water mix to expand. Very few cars have amp meters these days, watching the float current change with age was a good way to keep an eye on battery life.

Last edited:
Whenever I detail an engine I see some degree of it. Assumed it was just some venting going on, sloshing around taking corners, etc.

Silicone dielectric grease around the vent cap where it fits into the holes on top of the battery. Sometimes it doesn't make a good seal there, the grease will make it seal. Just use a little.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Silicone dielectric grease around the vent cap where it fits into the holes on top of the battery. Sometimes it doesn't make a good seal there, the grease will make it seal. Just use a little.

Excellent idea, will do it.
Thank you all for feedback!

Silicone? Lol dont they have the vents for a reason? I've seen this on batteries with an over-charging charging system.

If the battery caps are physically loose then the grease probably won't do much good. But with a set of three caps, hard to tell if one is loose.

I hate the mess of leaking battery acid.

A new battery is often the long term solution.

How about a running voltage check?
If you are charging too high, you'll spew battery juice. [same for being filled too high]
A simple voltmeter on a multimeter is more than good enough for this test.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Silicone? Lol dont they have the vents for a reason? I've seen this on batteries with an over-charging charging system.

You don't plug the vent with it. You apply it to the outer surface of the vent cap where it mates with the inner surface of the battery cell well. See the small hole underneath the vent cap? Don't apply it there.

The vent plug is just a friction fit into the battery, there is no gasket or o-ring and so it can leak acid there, even if it doesn't feel loose.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: brianl703

Excellent idea, will do it.
Thank you all for feedback!

No, don't do that. The battery in your car does not need to be re-engineered, not even a little. Battery vents do not leak fluid, unless the battery and/or the car is upside down. Everyone who has suggested that you check the charging rate has given you excellent advice.
Make sure you check it properly.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back