1st oil change f150 Glitter in oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guy I change the oil in my 2012 f150 with 1500miles on factory oil and it looked like glitter in the oil. I took the clean drain pan in the sun and it looked like glitter in the oil and small partital in the bottom on the drain pan is this normal??? It is a 5.0l and runs great very quite. I used pennzoil ultra 5-20. Is THIS A ISSUE. I was going to send a sample to blackstone. What do you guys think??

Sounds like machining and wear metals.It will probably decline next change.

No, this is normal. Lots of sparklies in the oil for a few changes. I wouldn't bother with getting factory fill analyzed.

Last edited:
Normal and one of the reasons why I do early oil changes. All of my vehicles have the same "result" when viewed in bright light.

All my vehicles made it well past 100k, quite a few (except one) made it to 200,000 miles and a few have gone upwards from there.

This is NOT an ISSUE!

Bill

Totally normal, that 5.0 is just breaking in, i've changed oil on around 10 of those trucks at work with the same motor along with the 3.5 twin turbo and they all are kind of sparkly like lookin also. Go with shorter oci's for a little bit and use a good filter like BOSCH.

I have had 5 new f150 with 5.4l and I did not noticed the first change had that glitter looked to it? maybe I did not look close. This is my first 5.0l and it runs so good I don't wont it to fail. The oil today in the brite sun looked glitter and a few small specks in the bottom of the drain pan and this is normal??

I came home late one night, with glitter all over me, and the ol lady kicked me out!!! She wouldn't let me in for 3 days!!!!

Originally Posted By: NHGUY

Yep, and you were smart to dump the oil at 1500 miles, I would have done it even sooner. I would do a shortened OCI for the next one as well.

People that leave in the factory fill for the standard the regular oil change interval are crazy.

No matter howm clean and carefully built the engine fine metal particles always end up contaminating the oil to one degree or another during break-in, the sooner removed the better.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone

People that leave in the factory fill for the standard the regular oil change interval are crazy.

No matter howm clean and carefully built the engine fine metal particles always end up contaminating the oil to one degree or another during break-in, the sooner removed the better.

Why what could happen?

I have had the same results with a few new engines. It's normal to see some break in metals in the oil. I like to change out the oil on very short OCIs on a new one. 200,500,1000 miles and then go to normal OCIs.

More old wive's tales.

Two of my fleet trucks, one with 400k miles and one with 200k miles and THOUSANDS of hours of stationary operation have never had the oil changed except when the factory OLM asked for it.

Neither one burns any oil, smokes, or leaks.

My Chrysler has a 'known' oil user engine in it, changed exactly per mfgr's recommendations, and doesn't use a drop, even after multiple track days at HPDE's.

There may be a particular car that would need this but most any modern car you are simply throwing away some money.

But it can make you feel better!

Yep, and you were smart to dump the oil at 1500 miles, I would have done it even sooner. I would do a shortened OCI for the next one as well.

You would think the oil filter would stop that metal.Remember anything that go's in the filter had to go in the pump first... I think FORD did not clean the blocks and heads real good from the factory

Wouldn't that be true about the factory fill tranny fluid and filter as well, I mean sure you don't change that out at 1500 miles! Does the tranny not break in as well? Is there no wear there? Although there is a filter in an automatic tranny, isn't true that aside from filtration the filter is ther for ventilation, to help the tranny breath, so why would the break in metals hurt the engine and not the more sensitive tranny?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
More old wive's tales.

Two of my fleet trucks, one with 400k miles and one with 200k miles and THOUSANDS of hours of stationary operation have never had the oil changed except when the factory OLM asked for it.

Neither one burns any oil, smokes, or leaks.

Yeah, theres always one in the crowd. "I never changed the oil in my 1952 Wombat and its got a million miles on it, blah, blah, blah."

Originally Posted By: jimmy87
so why would the break in metals hurt the engine and not the more sensitive tranny?

Never though about it. Might not be a bad idea to dump the trans fluid as well considering they often fail well before the engine.

In any event, compared to the price of new vehicles these days the cost of fluid change is a infinitesimal.

Originally Posted By: jimmy87
Wouldn't that be true about the factory fill tranny fluid and filter as well, I mean sure you don't change that out at 1500 miles! Does the tranny not break in as well? Is there no wear there? Although there is a filter in an automatic tranny, isn't true that aside from filtration the filter is ther for ventilation, to help the tranny breath, so why would the break in metals hurt the engine and not the more sensitive tranny?

The transmission has more fluid, less rpm and heat but the first change should be well before the "recommended" service (and some MFG are "lifetime") The filters are larger in most transmissions too.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back