Best Synthetic ATF for Aisin Warner Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking to see which synthetic ATF would be best for my application. Im currently driving a 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara V6 Luxury with 5spd Auto AW transmission. It requires a JWS3309 spec fluid. Was looking into either Amsoil, Royal Purple, Red Line or Motul. Just wanted to get some feedback. Was looking at specs for all. Considering going with Royal Purple. Any help would be great!

I have to ask - why synthetic? I've got two cars that have AW transmissions. The best thing you can do for the AW is to use fluid that meets the JWS-3309 spec and then change it regularly.

Two inexpensive options exist: Mobil 3309 (available here: http://store.avlube.com/mobilatf3309.html )and Toyota T-IV (local dealer).

Lots of fluids are recommended by the fluid manufacturer for use where JWS-3309 is specified...but only a few fluids meet the spec. Note that Mobil 1 ATF used to be recommended for this application, but Mobil no longer recommends it, and recommends the 3309.

Was looking into synthetic for better protection. I used Amsoil in a previous Grand Vitara with no issues. In fact i did notice smoother shifting. Was just looking for positive feedback on possible other options.

Protection?! are you hauling a horse trailer?

j/k. Best performing syn ATF for JWS3309 is PetroCanada.

Search/inquire about it from your local PC bulk oil dealer (bought mine from a locomotive lubricant oil supplier)

Q.

The AW model in both Volvos is known for failing early...at least, on all the Volvo fora it's known for that. I flush them every 30K (maybe a bit of OCD on my part...) with either the T-IV or the 3309 (depends on what I can get cheaper at the time).

Well over 100K on both (128K and 152K at the moment) and they work perfectly. Fresh fluid beats old fluid any day, even if the old fluid was synthetic...the smoother shifting in previous vehicles may have been more due to new fluid than fluid base stock...

I've got no experience with any of the listed brands you're considering...I would use it if the fluid stated: Meets JWS-3309 specification.

But, I am leery of something that is "recommended for use in..." by the fluid manufacturer. Does that mean that it meets the spec?

Or not?

Originally Posted By: Astro14
But, I am leery of something that is "recommended for use in..." by the fluid manufacturer. Does that mean that it meets the spec?

Or not?
It means they're absolutely, positively SURE it meets the spec, but don't want to pay for the proper test or pay the licensing fee.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Originally Posted By: Astro14

Or not?
It means they're absolutely, positively SURE it meets the spec, but don't want to pay for the proper test or pay the licensing fee.
56.gif

Or the warranty claim if the trans fails...
whistle.gif

Quote:
I am leery of something that is "recommended for use in..." by the fluid manufacturer. Does that mean that it meets the spec?
Probably not, but close enough so they won't have to buy you a new transmission.

I'm all about using better fluids when I can. most of the time it's worked out for me.

However, from what I gleaned while owing an S60, 3309 is spec'ed due to the paper-fiber materials used in certain AW transmissions. I also wanted a syn but just couldn't bring myself to stray. I *was* one of the "rare" folks that had a well-maintained honda AT balk after using a "recommended" fluid. so there are truths, for me, about being careful when going away from mfr spec.

the only fluid I would trust would be amsoil, if they have a fluid for that application. I've never had an amsoil swap go poorly down the road.

Last edited:
I used Amsoil in a 2002 Toyota Solara which took ATF 3309, and it ran so much better that I would never use anything but Amsoil if I had a choice.

my Mazda CX 9 takes the 3309 as well, and I am leary of anything but the approved 3309. But it would be nice to find a synthetic alternative that was speced for it specifically rather than a universal that "meets" spec

I tried the TIV/3309 fluid in my Volvo. I did not like the feel. I then tried the Amsoil ATF and it was much better. I don't think you can go wrong with the Amsoil for these applications.

I'd only use a JS3309 spec. I just posted asking about the AW 1 spec which is really tough to find if not impossible.

Use the oem fluid or buy the Mobil JS3309. You might have to look a bit and buy by the case but worth it.

Some people say the Toyota T IV is the same but I don't buy that. If yo do the Toyota dealers will have it cheap I'm sure.

So I have a saab 4 spd auto aisin 50-40le that actually only calls for dex III. The 5 spds take the 3309's. Anyone know if it is ok to put the T-IV in the 4spds even if it doesn't require it? Seems like the slip modifiers would be helpful.

Originally Posted By: browntown
So I have a saab 4 spd auto aisin 50-40le that actually only calls for dex III. The 5 spds take the 3309's. Anyone know if it is ok to put the T-IV in the 4spds even if it doesn't require it? Seems like the slip modifiers would be helpful.
Maxlife would be a MUCH better option IMHO

I don't mess with non-approved fluids in my vehicles. I let others do the "customer" engineering and report. Sometimes what seem so good in the short term, caused a big problem 40K miles later. I just go to Toyota and buy the approved T-IV for ~ $5.XX/quart and be done with it.

I maintain a 02 Volvo S40, 5spd. I keenly follow these Aisin Warner trans fluid threads, and haven't read anything that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling of using anything but Type IV, Mobil ATF 3309, or dealer-supplied fluids for this transmission.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I maintain a 02 Volvo S40, 5spd. I keenly follow these Aisin Warner trans fluid threads, and haven't read anything that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling of using anything but Type IV, Mobil ATF 3309, or dealer-supplied fluids for this transmission.

Same with me. My tranny has only ever seen T-IV from the dealer or Mobil 3309. I do I drain and fill on the more frequent side and just added an external cooler. Will likely add a Magnafine as well. I think my tranny fill will always have a sufficiently robust add-pack this way and I know I'm using spec fluid. I'll keep doing this until something comes along that either gives me the warm fuzzies or makes me believe that the spec fluid is deficient (and there is no evidence so far to suggest that).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back