A short writeup on the Nokian Vatiiva A/T

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I have a Ford Ranger, 03 XLT with the 4.0 V6.

It's a "Backup" truck, doesnt see daily use and therefore I decided to not spend the money on proper winter shoes.

Around 5 years ago I ran the Nokian Vatiiva A/T's on my Jeep Cherokee, And was impressed with the winter traction.

However the Jeep does chew up tires, And they lasted for around 30k or so before I deemed then to worn for winter use.

Now as I said, The Ranger sees much less use, So I put on a Set on it just before the big snow/ice storms hit us here in the north east.

In Short, So far so good, Great Siping for slush and ice traction and no problems in deep snow.

Nice quiet on the Hwy and seems to take corners with not too much flex.

We'll see how long they last, But for now I'm happy with them for the Ranger.

042408102113s.jpg

Last edited:
I would not be surprised if you buy these again.
The only problem with Nokian for me is availability or I'd probably run them on everything I own. Great tire brand! Had Nokian Hakka Q's on one of my Nissans (winter tires) they were unstoppable in the snow. Only other tire I've had that I liked as much are the Altimax Arctic's.

I run Hakkapelitta 5 SUVs on a Jeep Liberty and R SUV on a Ford Explorer Sport Trac. Absolutely cannot say enough about these tires in the winter. In a word they are fabulous. The Jeep will need new summer tires next year and Nokians will be the choice. I use to use only Michilens but all my vehicles will run on Nokians when replacements are required. Yes, they can be tough to find. My local tire source (Cadillac Tire in Cadillac MI) has been able obtain them for me. Just cannot say enough good about Nokians.

only problem I have with them is availability.
that and the fact that when I priced them it it was more for 4
than it was for 4 summer and 4 winter tires (with winter rims)

If they werent priced insanely high, ie tirerack carried them and they were only 10-20% more than others.

I'd probably hop on the bandwagon too.

Originally Posted By: Rand
only problem I have with them is availability.
that and the fact that when I priced them it it was more for 4
than it was for 4 summer and 4 winter tires (with winter rims)

If they werent priced insanely high, ie tirerack carried them and they were only 10-20% more than others.

I'd probably hop on the bandwagon too.

Rand, I paid less than 600 Mounted, Including Tax From Jack Willams.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
That's correct.

Really? Interesting...

Manufactured in a Cooper factory to Nokian specs, not a re-branded Cooper. Nokian sources one of their tires from China (Rsi?) to offer a lower priced product, but again it is made to Nokian's specs.

whats a jack williams? dont have them here in ohio that I have heard of?

I got 4 continential extreme winter contacts with rims for 375$ after rebate.(including shipping and no tax either) with free road force balance.

When I priced nokians I forget which all season model they were about 650$ after tax

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Finklejag
I read Cooper makes this tire for Nokian?
Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
That's correct.
Originally Posted By: MI_Roger
Manufactured in a Cooper factory to Nokian specs, not a re-branded Cooper. Nokian sources one of their tires from China (Rsi?) to offer a lower priced product, but again it is made to Nokian's specs.

Strange, considering the ties between Nokian and Bridgestone.

Bought these tires as a "winter tire" for my Wrangler.Run Michelin LTX as a summer tire.Been very satisfied so far.Went deer hunting a week after I had them installed on my steel rims.Snow was 5 inches deep straight up-hill over washed out roads with big smooth rocks exposed.Went up the mountain like a spider,no problem,the guys told me only the quad bikes were going to go up there.A Ford Sport-trac had to come down after spinning his wheels half-way up.I had B.F.Goodrich AT KO's as winter tires for almost ten years ,changing every 6 months of course, and they were good in the snow but dicey in the slush/rain department and became impossible to balance (10 years old).I was so impressed with the Nokians' that I also put a set of Hakka's on my son's Cobalt and he said they have been pretty good also...no ABS light coming on and no side to side sliding.

Last edited:
Update:

Well this winter was mild, The tires are still great.

7000 miles on them with one rotation and zero problems.

Ran 50+K in my 4 Runner on a set of Vatiiva, in a 265/75R15 (to try and match the OE 31x10.5R15 size) and they were great...easy to find locally in Vermont (Goss Tire carried Nokian) and great winter traction in addition to good summer traction, ride and noise. Since they were P-Metric, they didn't have quite the load range of the flotation size. I did tear out a sidewall on a dirt road, but it was a sharp rock, in a rut, it might have taken out any kind of tire...not sure that was Nokian's fault.

Replaced them with the BFG AT KO becuase my balance is more off-road, much less snow, now that I am in Va. Beach...and the BFGs have tougher sidewalls...

I have the Nokian WRG2 on the XC and the 300E, and I am sold on their quality and winter traction. If I still lived in snow country, I would be running a set of Vatiivas on the truck...

Last edited:
I really like these tires (even though I haven't run them in almost a year on my Cherokee).

Really disappointed that Nokian stopped making them.

Update:

Still a great tire, Even with all the mess we have here in PA atm.

Going thru any kind of snow with little effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back