External Torx Bolt, Why ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to loosen 1 of the external torx bolt with standard hex socket in preparing to replace the thermostat housing of the E430, the bolt didn't move at all. I'm afraid if I use too much force I may strip the head and get bigger problem.

File:FemaleTorxSocket.JPG

Why MB decides to use external torx bolts on may area of the engine ? The valve cover bolts are external torx, the thermostat housing uses external torx ... Why don't they just use standard hex bolts ?

Now I have to buy a set of torx sockets to be able to do some work on the E430.

High torque, low head, or so say the marketing gurus at torx. Totally pointless imo. Can't make that much difference. But, unlike you, I relish every opportunity to buy new tools!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I tried to loosen 1 of the external torx bolt with standard hex socket in preparing to replace the thermostat housing of the E430, the bolt didn't move at all. I'm afraid if I use too much force I may strip the head and get bigger problem.

Why MB decides to use external torx bolts on may area of the engine ? The valve cover bolts are external torx, the thermostat housing uses external torx ... Why don't they just use standard hex bolts ?

Now I have to buy a set of torx sockets to be able to do some work on the E430.

if you just want cheap the harborfreight ones look decent..
several sets available

Originally Posted By: AdamL
High torque, low head, or so say the marketing gurus at torx. Totally pointless imo. Can't make that much difference. But, unlike you, I relish every opportunity to buy new tools!

The external Torx bolts on my transmission bellhousing can take a preposterous amount of torque at really strange angles and not even blink: no sliding, no rounding, no twisting. I'd say there's something to the "marketing" in this case.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
My bet is easier assembly at the factory. It's easier for a machine to hold onto a torx bolt.

I have heard this as well.

OP: Be glad it is at least a 6 point, my Volvo has 5 point tamper proof torx on some parts.

So, you mean they do the same thing hex heads have done for a century? Wow! But really, there must be some benefit or they never would have left the drawing table. Or, it could just be marketing.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

The external Torx bolts on my transmission bellhousing can take a preposterous amount of torque at really strange angles and not even blink: no sliding, no rounding, no twisting. I'd say there's something to the "marketing" in this case.

Last edited:
Ha, wait until you get to the triple-square garbage on German cars. I had to special order a set of bits.

Probably will buy Lisle 26280 Master Torx Socket 10 pieces set for $28 from Amazon, it has very good reviews, all 9 reviews are 5-star. It is made in USA instead of made in China sets on Ebay, except a 7-pieces set KD Tools for about $19.

Another Lisle set on Amazon with 7-pieces for only $12, it doesn't have E5, E18 and E20. This set may be all I need and less than half the 26280.

Last edited:
By the way, my Audi used Torx bolts on the serp belt idler pulley. That was a big hassle after 65k and 7+ years.

So, you mean they do the same thing hex heads have done for a century? Wow! But really, there must be some benefit or they never would have left the drawing table. Or, it could just be marketing.
smile.gif

Hex heads wouldn't have survived what I put those external Torx heads through. Trust me.

Can one buy a Torx wrench? What happens when there is not enough clearance even for a low profile ratchet with Torx socket??

Originally Posted By: tom slick
My bet is easier assembly at the factory. It's easier for a machine to hold onto a torx bolt.

Would not a magnetic socket and hex bolts work just as well?

Mercedes uses a whole bunch of triple squares on their truck engines. I have to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets soon on a Mercedes and I am thinking of getting one of these
http://www.babcotools.ca/s.nl/it.A/id.32332/.f

Anyone know if this is a good set?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Can one buy a Torx wrench? What happens when there is not enough clearance even for a low profile ratchet with Torx socket??

The spline drive wrenches claim they work well on torx. How well I don't know. I suppose they work well enough if the bolt head isn't chewed up.
http://www.ezred.com/Product_Pages/NR5M.htm
I will be getting this set. They are really long, with the 17x19 wrench being a full 18 inches long. That is even longer than the SK XXL wrenches.

Almost every bolt on the engine/transmission in my Cruze is external Torx. It must be a European thing. The HF external Torx set is now in my toolbox. Hopefully it doesn't need much use.

HTSS_TR,

Are you talking about the threaded studs with the external Torx on the tip? I have some of those on my Buick.

I have my reservations about those spline drive wrenches. If the splines are "straight" they won't bite the curved external torxes with full force.

They also seem to be on closeout all over HD and Lowes. Seem like a Xmas gift that answered a question noone was asking. I certainly expect if I'm using the box end of a wrench, that it's going to hold securely, and those splines look a little pencil necked for the job.

JMO.

But hey, here's a link...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back