Redline or Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am pretty new to this website and have been trying to find a post debating Redline oil vs Amsoil oil for an LS1 Camaro. I am trying to get the best protection along with an extended drain interval. I have pretty aggressive driving habits and I dont think my current oil ( Mobil 1) is cutting it. I want the best protection for my engine and its come down to these two options.

What makes you think the Mobil 1 is not cutting it? Redline and Amsoil are both excellent oils as are Mobil 1 and PP/PU. How long are you expecting to go for an OCI? What Mobil 1 oil? Have you done an UOA?

What makes you think Mobil is not cutting it? And which grade of Mobil are you using? But to answer your question my vote would be for redline 0W30 or a mix of that with their 0W40

36.gif

Why dont you think M1 is cutting it? Id not classify redline necessarily as a long drain oil, nor Amsoil as a power-before-all racing type oil... though both are so good they likely could be utilized in either-or scenarios.

But you need to think a bit more about what is not cutting it, what you need, and how to approach it. Could be just a bit more robustness, so an A3 oil like M1 HM 10w-30 or 10w-40 could be the answer. Otherwise both Amsoil and Redline are fine oils.

I am doing 5k intervals right now with Mobil 1 10W30. No I have not done any UOA's on the oil. I only say its not cutting it because I will be racing it soon at the track and don't know if the oil is designed to be raced. I live in SoCal and its not too cold I've been using the 10W30 M1.

Step up to their 0w40 if you are concerned. It is used at the 24hrs of Daytona, LeMans....etc. And is the factory fill for a huge pile of high performance cars.

I think I'll do that. But for my engine (v8 ls1), driving habits (hard), OCI ( 4-8k), and mileage (110k) what do you recommend? Keeping in mind that the car is a daily driver but would like to race it every other weekend. Redline, Amsoil, M1, etc.

What Overk1ll said. M1 0w40 is the ONLY oil I will have on my shelves after I run through my GC. It's a VERY robust oil, FF for a lot of cars, and through VOA and UOA has proven to be a very great oil. Strong TBN, nice add pack, and continuously improved in terms of formula.

Use it with confidence.

Originally Posted By: mrcoolguy
I think I'll do that. But for my engine (v8 ls1), driving habits (hard), OCI ( 4-8k), and mileage (110k) what do you recommend? Keeping in mind that the car is a daily driver but would like to race it every other weekend. Redline, Amsoil, M1, etc.

I run M1 0w40 in my 400HP M5 if that makes you feel better?
grin.gif

No offense, but any oil should handle 400hp. Yes some race teams use Mobil 1, but many others also use Redline and Amsoil. Use whatever makes you feel good. All three are capable oils. I like Redline and have used it in several high hp LS2 motors and countless other platforms. I'm a polyol ester and big dose of ZDDP fan. And with Redline and Amsoil I feel much better about my money going to small boutique oil companies who aren't about mass production.

Last edited:
I'd agree with any euro spec oil. ( 0W-40, 5W-40 ) as its designed to protect, not meet energy-conserving specs. Personally I use Amsoil but would not hesitate to use M1.

Last edited:
Yeah, I talked to an Amsoil dealer and am interested in getting their oiI since I can get it fairly cheap. I am at a crossroads between staying with M1 or switching to Redline or Amsoil.

Can't go wrong with either. Red Line 5w-30 would probably survive a track day best, but isn't a great extended drain oil though it has some potential in that area. Amsoil's products typically can go "the longest", but vs. M1 0w-40 it's probably a wash in racing app for those miles anyway. Go with the cheaper of Amsoil 5w-30 Euro spec or M1 0w-40.

Then, verify things with a UOA after 5,000 before going further.

How long would you guys recommend that I go with Redline if its a daily driver and a few WOT each day. At least 1 track day a month. OCI interval on Redline?

My Camaro, which other posters here are probably tired of hearing about, has a long, storied history. I bought it new in 2002, and immediately put it to work doing autocrosses and track days during the summer and being my daily driver in the winter. Over the years, it has accumulated about 100 days on tracks from Calabogie, Ontario, to Buttonwillow, California. On track, it has run in conditions from 45 degrees and rainy to 107 under the blazing sun. In the winter it gets two cold-starts a day in temperatures down to -15.

And all through the first 152k miles, I put nothing in it but M1 5w30 and changed oil when the Oil Life Monitor told me. Then at 152k, I switched to M1 5w30 HM and noticed that oil consumption decreased from about 1/2-qt in 4000 miles, to 1/2-qt in 5000 miles. Then I switched to Redline at 160k miles. I didn't really have a reason to switch, I just wanted to see how it would run in my engine. On Redline, the consumption has dropped to about 1/2-qt over the change interval of 8500 miles. On the last oil change at 169k, I put in a mix of RL 5w20/5w30/0w30, basically just using up stray quarts.

So I state with confidence that an LS1 does not need a 40-weight oil under any circumstance. Oils that I would feel good about running in it are:
M1 0w30, 5w30, 5w30 HM, 10w30 HM
RL 0w30, 5w30, 5w20
AMSOil 0w30 Signature Series
GC 0w30
PP or PU 5w30
But really, any name brand 5w30 that is at least semi-synthetic will be OK.

Originally Posted By: mrcoolguy
Drag races. I also read that Redline doesnt burn oil as much as M1. Is this true? and is it related to shearing

If you're drag racing, then definitely don't switch to 40-weight. The engine is not making power long enough to heat the oil to operating temperature.

My experience with Redline so far is significantly lower oil consumption than M1, but I didn't have any problem with the consumption rate of M1 in the first place. Redline 5w30 will be more shear-resistant than M1, but the difference would be slight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back