wagner pad bed in

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a set of rotors and wagner thermoquiet ceramic pads for the front of my explorer. I was only planning on doing the front for now but I see the rebate for the pads ends on the 30th, so I think i'm going to do the back set also.

The problem is, I can't get the ceramics in the rear around my area, so they will have to be the semi-metallic thermoquiets.

My quesiton is, do these pads have different bed in procedures, or is it just generalized? The procedure for the ceramics are 30-0, wait 30 sec, repeat 20 times. It also says they are not fully bed in until about 200 stops.

Should I get the fronts bed in and then install the rear? Or should I just do it all at once?

I've never had thermoquiets but I'm not a big fan of advance auto's wearever line. Thanks guys.

I put these (Ceramic Thermos) on the Front of my Explorer in July.the rebate just came last week. I did not 'bed them in' I just did a couple of good stops to see if they worked. They have worked well ever since. no complaints.

Don't bother just drive it normally. Seriously one guy here bedded in his Bendix CT+3 pads and had problems until they wore a few thousand miles afterwards.
IMO a PITA that's of no real value for a daily driver.

If you are getting your Wagner stuff from Advanced Auto, they should be able to order the rear ceramic pads, IF they are available (made by Wagner).

I hope you are using Advanced Auto's 40% off code!!!.....on top of Wagner's rebate. My daughter's Taurus brake parts started at $175 and was reduce below $100 with all these discounts.

The break in advice above is o.k.. On my cars, I spend about ten minutes and do about 1/2 of your recommended procedure. Certainly not the procedure used for high performance brake systems.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
If you are getting your Wagner stuff from Advanced Auto, they should be able to order the rear ceramic pads, IF they are available (made by Wagner).

I hope you are using Advanced Auto's 40% off code!!!.....on top of Wagner's rebate. My daughter's Taurus brake parts started at $175 and was reduce below $100 with all these discounts.

The break in advice above is o.k.. On my cars, I spend about ten minutes and do about 1/2 of your recommended procedure. Certainly not the procedure used for high performance brake systems.

Of course I used the 40% lol, and they do make the ceramic, there's just none available. The problem is, to use the 40% you have to pick a store that has it in stock, and none do.

I just installed Thermoquiets on the front of my 1996 Grand Marquis today with ATE slotted rotors.Just drove it normally
and it stops on a dime.They are quiet pads,No squeal compound needed.

I put Thermoquiets all around on my Jeep and the front of my Honda. Just drove normally and they work great...they also seem to have less brake dust than OEM.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Don't bother just drive it normally. Seriously one guy here bedded in his Bendix CT+3 pads and had problems until they wore a few thousand miles afterwards.
IMO a PITA that's of no real value for a daily driver.

That person was me. I glazed the pads doing just what the op is planning. It took 4k miles to wear through the glaze, even after I took them off and sanded them.

I used the 30-30-30 method. 30 near stops (don't fully stop) from 30 mph with 30 seconds in between. I must have stopped too aggressively, because it glazed the pads.

I would just do maybe 10 medium-effort stops then just drive it normally. If it takes 200 stops to be fully bedded in then that would only be a few days of in-town driving, depending on where and how much you drive.

Just drive normally, but expect things not to be just right for 1-500 miles.

Exotic brake bedding procedures are for racing or very hard street use. It requires very high pad temps, and pad deposition to the rotor will occur.
Any pad deposition on normal street cars is light and worn away faster than it is deposited. A very hard braking may get you up to race temps, but it is really rare.

Thanks for the advice guys. I put on the front pads and drove around all day taking it easy and have to say, I'm very happy with the ceramics.

For the rears I just picked up, they only had the semi-metallic, but whats weird, on the internet now, they don't even list the ceramics I ordered a couple of days ago for the front, only the semi-metallic.

I just do several firm rolling stops from ~50 mph to 5 mph and then drive normally from then on. Since most of the braking is done with the front brakes, I would put your new pads on now and bed them in. When the rears come in just put them on and drive normally.

Follow the manufacurer, if they tell you to bed them( like hawk does) bed them in per their instructions. If the say nothing about it , drive normally!!

We have followed bedding procedures since I bought a stoptech big brake kit years ago for a street rod.

I have used it on everything from 9000 pound vans to Civics. Many times it completely fixes complaints like vibration and squealing.

To each his own. But we have saved THOUSANDS of dollars in brake repairs per year by carefully bedding brakes before swapping parts out. Of course we don't sell brakes, either....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back