Motul 8100 Eco-Clean 0W-30, new light oil champ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well forget the Toyota Brand 0W-20 we now have a new light oil champ and it's a 30wt oil.

Check out the stat's:
KV100 9.6cSt
KV40 40.3cSt
VI 235
HTHSV 2.87
FP 226C
TBN 7.4

http://www.motul.fr/system/product_descr....pdf?1290086771

Due to it's 235 VI this SM oil has the lowest start-up viscosity of any oil you can buy.
Compared to the previous champ, Toyota 0W-20, it is almost 10% lighter at room temperature and almost 20% at 0C.

It has now jumped to the top of the list of oils I want to try.

35.gif

If that 235 VI is correct, then yeah, this is a very interesting oil that will cover all 20 or 30-wt. requirements under a 3.5 HT/HS value.

BUT, I thought VI's above 200 became 'sketchy'...ie, it is very hard to produce an oil with a VI over 200, so claims beyond that are not very accurate...am I right?

It will be expensive to use, though - both bc of it's intial price, but also b/c with a 7.4 TBN, it may not even make it to 10k in most apps - we will have to see.

BTW, good luck ever FINDING this oil, especially in Canada!

Originally Posted By: addyguy

BUT, I thought VI's above 200 became 'sketchy'...ie, it is very hard to produce an oil with a VI over 200, so claims beyond that are not very accurate...am I right?

BTW, good luck ever FINDING this oil, especially in Canada!

Shear stable 200+ VI oils are common enough now. Just look at the Toyota, Honda and Subaru 0W-20s.
The Motul 8100 series is available in Canada; I haven't checked out the price of the 0W-30 yet. But yes it will be expensive here as are all Motul products, a lot cheaper in the States.

Those numbers do seem exceptional, but Motul has a lot of credibility in my book as a first rate producer of products.

Of course it's expensive. You poor canadians can just call me and I'll ship it to you disguised as kool aid.

Steve, I agree, Motul doesn't formulate "sketchy" products.
This oil is targeted specifically by name at Toyota, Honda and Subaru applications.

I may take you up on your "disguised as kool aid" offer!
But it will take me a couple of years to go through mt stash of Toyota and Idemitsu 0W-20 oil.

Eco-Clean 0w30 appears to be particularly rare in North America. I suppose you could inquire with a Motul distributor, but no one keeps a stock of it from what I can see.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
................Due to it's 235 VI this SM oil has the lowest start-up viscosity of any oil you can buy............

Is there a specific formula or calculator that you are using to support your conclusions about the cold weather performance of oils? You are basing this on VI and HTHS, as I understand it?

VI is derived from the kinematic viscosity (40C/100C) values. It is directly related to the viscosity curve and is a measure of how resistant the oil is to viscosity changes.

Last edited:
X-Lite is an ACEA A3/B3 oil with HTHS > 3.5. It is not intended for fuel economy, it is for performance applications. X-anything in Motul's world is a performance oil.

Originally Posted By: dparm
X-Lite is an ACEA A3/B3 oil with HTHS > 3.5. It is not intended for fuel economy, it is for performance applications. X-anything in Motul's world is a performance oil.

Thanks for the info.

This Eco-Clean sounds like a winter oil
whistle.gif
,too bad can't find it online somewhere.

I cant even find the eco clean on a North american website....

So its probably not susprising I couldnt find this to purchase anywhere.

I found a xlite 0w30 thats not it..
http://www.motul.com/system/product_descriptions/technical_data_sheets/2696/8100_X-lite_0W30_TDS_%28GB%29.pdf?1302201825

and a eco lite 0w20 thats only 162vi.

but no eco clean
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DragRace

whistle.gif

What's the difference between Eco-Clean and Eco-Lite?

Amazon has the latter in 0w-20, but it ain't cheap.

Originally Posted By: dparm

whistle.gif

While it would be a superb winter oil that's not it's target market.
It's targeted to compete with the ultra low vis' high VI oils such as the Toyota 0W-20 and Idemitsu 0W-20. These oils are the lightest available even at room temperature.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

What's the difference between Eco-Clean and Eco-Lite?
Amazon has the latter in 0w-20, but it ain't cheap.

The Eco-Lite 0W-20 has a low HTHSV of 2.6cP but it's VI is only 162 consiquently it's start-up viscosity is not in the same league as the Eco-Clean oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back