Trimmer head

Status
Not open for further replies.
The welding is not from head or shaft heat but from the line rubbing against itself at high speed. Surprised to here the gator line is doing it, but honestly it's been a few years since I've tried it, and like everything else, I'm sure it's a cheaper formula now. It's apparent though that a brand change will be needed to stop your welding issue.
No solvents in that open bearing gear case. If you like you can remove the fill plug, and run the trimmer while blowing compressed air across the hole siphon style to remove the old lube. Try not to fill the gear box total air space with more than around 50% lube. Grease will not transfer heat through itself well, and you'll end up with an extremely hot unit.

Last edited:
Dang it! I wish i woulda known that before i spend forever trying to fill it with grease. I guess I'll get back out there this evening and see how much grease is actually in there. Like i said I'll try the .095 line which is also Gatorline. This line is from last year. I wouldnt think line has an expiration date....does it? This was not happening last season and I used it a good bit.

just an update...i got a new echo head for it. the kind that you just run the line through and turn it. Works like a champ and it's super easy to load back up with line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back