Picked up a 2012 Honda TRX400X

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 2012 TRX400X yesterday. The dealership said to change the oil/filter after the first 10 hours and then follow the manual after that. I plan on running Rotella T6 5w40 in it since it is JASO MA certified. I was wanting to run AMSOIL but their powersport 0w40 looks to be "recommended" but not certified for JASO MA. The AMSOIL motorcycle 10w40 looks like it might be certified for JASO MA but I can't tell with their verbiage. Normally I would not care about the oil being certified but I have the factory warranty for the first year. I plan on running Wix oil filters in it.

Surprisingly I do not plan on modding this thing as stock trim is plenty for me. The only planned change is nerf bars to keep my feet safe.

I would've bought used personally as they are a dime a dozen and haven't been changed since when they added reverse in 02 or whenever it was. Anyways, run whatever oil you want in there, they are darn near indestructible engines. I'd run rotella 15w40 cuz it is an air/oil cooled mill.

I use the Rotella 5w40 in all my atvs and utv. Easier to crank and shift in cold weather. And good for our hot summers too. Congrats on your new purchase. As for other posters comment to buy used. My opinion on used vehicles is most of the time you are buying someone Else's problems. I just a Honda atv, had it for 15 years. Sold for half of what I paid for it new. Thought that was a good deal for me. And I was starting to have problems with it too. Bought a new one myself too. And there have been improvements since 02. I think fuel injection is one.

ATVs are something to avoid buying used IMO. The nature in which they are used is enough to put me off and buy new instead. They are beat on and swamped and run balls out most of the time. I always have bought new ATVs to avoid someone else's headaches. That's a nice quad good luck with it.
cheers3.gif

I would highly reccomend you stay away from the nerf bars.. unless your racing.. and if you were racing it would most likely be on a 450 so i guessing no..

Ive owned alot of Quads in my time (maybee you have too) but experience tells you that doing about any kind of rideing besides on a closed semi-smooth racing course, and Nerf bars become a real issue. i recall the first time i took a 1986 Kawasaki Tecati into the woods with nerf bars on it.. Lord i got hung up on EVERTHING.. what a PITA !!!! rideing in the spill piles wasnt much better.. Oh and if you end up in the mud.. fogettaboutit !! your gonna need a big winch to get it unburried if the muds thick at all.. 2 pennies

I bought a brand new one in 2002 (pre reverse). Good reliable quad. Engine runs very hot due to lean jetting from the factory and being air cooled. I'd be inclined to run 15W-40 in the summer due to the heat. Yea I know it has an oil cooler. Don't be alarmed if the header glows red at night when idling, lean mixture and thin wall header. I installed a dynojet kit which made mine run tons better and cooler. I always installed nerfs on our quads for the kids safety. In fact a guy at work just broke his leg over the weekend by putting his foot down and running up on it with the rear wheel. Your choice.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
I bought a brand new one in 2002 (pre reverse). Good reliable quad. Engine runs very hot due to lean jetting from the factory and being air cooled. I'd be inclined to run 15W-40 in the summer due to the heat. Yea I know it has an oil cooler. Don't be alarmed if the header glows red at night when idling, lean mixture and thin wall header. I installed a dynojet kit which made mine run tons better and cooler. I always installed nerfs on our quads for the kids safety. In fact a guy at work just broke his leg over the weekend by putting his foot down and running up on it with the rear wheel. Your choice.

I agree, kids quads need em, and alot of childres quads come with floorboards... Im just speaking from my personal (Indiana) experience..(adult operated, and raceing experience) ive had alot worse luck on non-race quads that had them installed, If i lived near the desert/dunes and the quad was in the air alot id reconsider.. On a full time race quad.. of course there necessary.. In my neck of the woods Nerf's for non race use on quads are just a pain...

I got ripped off a quad with no nerf bars and it wasn't fun... On my current quad the floor boards never seem to get in the way or into the mud but its a utility tractor.

Don't know about that. My wife's 04 Yamaha Bruin 350 was bought used in 05 for just a 1000 dollars. Best deal ever on an atv and the unit has been trouble free.

My 07 Honda Rubicon was bought used in 2009 with just 20 hours and 100 miles and looked every bit as good as a brand new one. Another trouble free atv.

Just sold a 2006 Honda TRX 90 for 1300 dollars that belonged to my 13 year old son....his first atv.

You just have to know what to look for. Never buy one where the engine has a brown color stain......screams "lake bottom"!

Originally Posted By: ddrumman2004
Don't know about that. My wife's 04 Yamaha Bruin 350 was bought used in 05 for just a 1000 dollars.

very jealous!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back