Ran the snot out of my v-star

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just took a trip from Greenville, SC to Ocean Isle, NC, on my 650 V-Star. Half of the trip was on the interstate. Speed limit of 70, but you know no one in South Carolina adheres to that. I was trying to keep up with a couple cars running 80-85. My fuel economy went to [censored] (27-35 mpg instead of 50). Not upset about the added fuel cost, just curious if 300 miles of this type of riding will cause me long term issues.

I ran the Wife's Ninja 250 across Texas (800miles!) @ 9000 to 10,000rpm the whole way. MPG went down to 50 and I lost/burned a pint of oil.

two years later..no "long term issues". You are AOK!

My virago 250 had a top speed of 85. how does your 650 only go 5mph more? lol

You wont have any long term issues. I ran that virago 250 at WOT for hours on end. Bikes are built for this, you can beat them forever with no ill effects.

I also have an SV650, If traffic cooperates and I get a couple empty miles of road, its not uncommon for me to be at 140mph for 5-6 miles of my trip, that's like 11,000rpm for a few minutes.

Originally Posted By: car54
My virago 250 had a top speed of 85. how does your 650 only go 5mph more? lol

You wont have any long term issues. I ran that virago 250 at WOT for hours on end. Bikes are built for this, you can beat them forever with no ill effects.

I also have an SV650, If traffic cooperates and I get a couple empty miles of road, its not uncommon for me to be at 140mph for 5-6 miles of my trip, that's like 11,000rpm for a few minutes.

Must be something with the gears. WOT gets me to 90 and no further.

Is your speedo off? When I run my v star at 70mph, I'm really only going 65. Highway use kills my gas mileage too. I've read the these bikes can take the high rpm's, that's how they were built. Redline is 7200 I think. 70mph is about 4800.

My virago 250 had a top speed of 85. how does your 650 only go 5mph more?

Was your Virago chain and sprocket? The V star 650 is shaft and low geared. Alot of folks with 250's get different sprockets and can get a better (lower) rpm's at high speeds than with the stock setup. Not sure what you can do with the shaft drive that would be a cheap fix to lower rpm's and increase gear speed.

Definately not going to hurt that 650. As said above, you did more good than harm. As long as the enigne is under a load at high RPM's, thoes Yamaha 650's are bulletproof.

Originally Posted By: Sonic
My virago 250 had a top speed of 85. how does your 650 only go 5mph more?

Was your Virago chain and sprocket? The V star 650 is shaft and low geared. Alot of folks with 250's get different sprockets and can get a better (lower) rpm's at high speeds than with the stock setup. Not sure what you can do with the shaft drive that would be a cheap fix to lower rpm's and increase gear speed.

Totally stock and probably not totally broken in at 8k miles when I bought it. I put 2k on it and sold it to a friend as a first bike. It was a really nice bike for the price and fuel economy it returned. I miss having it.

Originally Posted By: Trav
The speedo is right. These are 2V low revving engines.

Low revving?? Mine revs like [censored] for a V-twin, but it is a 650. And the speedo is off by about 5mph at 65. Anyone I ride with on a Harely or next to in a car says they are at 65 and my speedo has to hit to 70 to match them. I wasn't aware that it is common for import bikes to have the speedometers off (reading that you are going faster than you are) until I read it about a month ago. Wonderd why I always got passed or tailgated doing what I thought was the speed limit (at higher speeds). Now I run just above it.

Yes...it's common for these bikes to be 5mph fast on the speedometer..my 06 Classic is!

I can get as high as 59 miles per gallon when riding in a group at 55 mph on state, 2 lane highways. I can also get a lot less if I push the bike.

The 650 engine is based on the old 550 Virago engine and that was a reliable engine.

I need to ride mine more....just has a little over 3k miles on it.

I bought an 1100 v-star last month. It's an 06 and had 30k kms when I bought it. I get around 40-45 mpg and I really hammer on it. The valvetrain sounded like marbles in a tin can though til I put amsoil 20w-50 v-twin oil in it. Now all I hear are my cobra pipes. These bikes are tough and well built.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back