bad Pure one oil filter experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few days after changing oil&filter, low pressure light came on. 2nd time with Pure One. I changed filter and no longer have this problem (1997 camry). Someone once recommended "cheap oil filters" and I concur. They are all about the same. In fact I think Purolator (who makes pureone?) is better in my experience. Its possible too much filtering maybe bad...?

If anyone wants to cut this filter open, I can send it to you for inspection.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity....did you fill the P1 with oil and let it soak in before installing the filter on your Camry?

I've had this issue many years ago by not filling the OF with oil before installation and letting the oil soak into the filter before installing. If you overfill the filter and it has soaked up its fill of oil and has too much....no problem...just use a funnel to let the excess drain back into the oil jug or quart before installing it onto the engine.

Worked for me and I never had a problem since those couple of episodes over 30 years ago. Today I make sure to prefill the OF before installation. I wonder if the quick lube joints do this procedure with their fast and furious Oil changes....

Purolator makes Pure One, it is a good budget filter. It's possible that the engine has some sludge in it and it clogs the filter after few days driving.

Whenever I use Pure One, I get a loud "tick-tick-tick" for 1 second after the engine starts. It only does it when I use Pure One.

Last edited:
I'm currently using an Over-sized Purolator Classic OF on my T4R. My last oil filter was an Over-sized K&N OF and I ran the same filter for two OCI's for over 12K miles. I agree with Crazyoildude that a good flow of dirty oil is better than clean oil with no flow.

The K&N is a heck of a filter for oil flow and durability and would have probably run for 3 consecutive OCI's. The only reason I ran it for 2, back to back, is because I had added some MMO to the last 2K miles on the first run and wanted to make sure that the filter was still operating efficiently without too much dirt in the element and had not degraded from the quart of MMO. IMO...As a filter picks up more dirt it becomes more restrictive and most likely better at filtering oil in the sump.

Originally Posted By: cathy
A few days after changing oil&filter, low pressure light came on. 2nd time with Pure One. I changed filter and no longer have this problem (1997 camry). Someone once recommended "cheap oil filters" and I concur. They are all about the same. In fact I think Purolator (who makes pureone?) is better in my experience. Its possible too much filtering maybe bad...?

If anyone wants to cut this filter open, I can send it to you for inspection.

It shouldn't matter if you have prelubed the filter if there is a problem that arises two days after the filter has been installed. I don't know why this has happened twice to you. It seems too much of a longshot you got two bad filters. Just use what works for you and don't use PureOne's anymore. I SERIOUSLY doubt it was too efficient and thus caused this problem, especially in 2 days.

I am afraid you will find that the filter is NOT the problem.Something else is going on and it cant be good.Hope you find the culprit before any more damage is done.Good luck

Originally Posted By: VRAY
I am afraid you will find that the filter is NOT the problem.Something else is going on and it cant be good.Hope you find the culprit before any more damage is done.Good luck

I agree.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Purolator makes Pure One, it is a good budget filter. It's possible that the engine has some sludge in it and it clogs the filter after few days driving.

If that were the case the engine would go in by-pass and you would never know

Popinski - I have gotten that tapping from my Jeep occasionally as well (with Pureones), but a 1/2 second of lifter tap doesn't really worry me (oil pressure gauge starts rising immediately on start, is usually up to 20+ in the 1/2 second the tapping occurs).

Last edited:
Barely anything to do with the filter at all. You either have a low oil sensor going bad or the oil pump is starting to go.
That filter is probably just slowing dow the flow enough for the sensor to pick up the inevitable , but remember that you motor can last years even with a pump going bad.
My guess is that its the sensor.

Cathy, does the oil light come on and stay on, or is it just at startup? If the light comes on at startup and then goes out, it suggest that the anti-drainback valve is faulty. You may want to try a Motorcraft filter as they are made by Purolator but to Ford's standards and I have never had a problem with a Motorcraft. Or go with a Wix or NAPA Gold (same as Wix) or a Baldwin.

Both same bypass rating, same filter #, correct filter #? A good filter and one that you know is designed for the car is from Toyota at a cheap filter price. Case of 10 can be had less than $4 each no tax delivered to door. If oil light goes on with the Toyota filter, something is wrong with the engine.
Have a mechanic or yourself do an oil pressure check, good luck hope it never happens again. You still may be driving around with low oil pressure, just not low enough for light to go on.

Originally Posted By: cathy

My experience is that Purolator Classics and Purolator PureOne filters are not very flow restrictive at all, and probably flow better than many.

My vote is a bad oil pressure sender, or whatever Toyota uses to monitor those readings. I doubt a oil pump is dead on a 1997 unless A. You neglected the car or B. You have a ton of miles or both.

Originally Posted By: SteveTheisen
My vote is a bad oil pressure sender, or whatever Toyota uses to monitor those readings. I doubt a oil pump is dead on a 1997 unless A. You neglected the car or B. You have a ton of miles or both.

What Toyota doesn't have a ton of miles and 10000 mile oci's?

Yes the light goes out. I never had this happened from 0-150,000 miles on non-leaking Toyota Camry.

That still does not implicate the filter specifically.

We use dozens of P1's here in very heavy duty service and have never had an issue.

Statistically playing the numbers it is EXTREMELY unlikely to be the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back