High Mileage Diesel Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Companies have made HM oils for gasoline engines, and most have proved to be very effective products... So with that in mind, why haven't those same companies produced a HM Diesel Oil? Maybe there is a easy answer to my question, but at this time I'm ignorant to this easy answer...

Maybe b/c there alsmost no such thing as a HM diesel - by their very nature, diesels are supposed to last for a long, long time, and to very high mileage.

Here's a question for you: What would classify as HM in a diesel???

I agree with Addguy. IMO... most of the Diesel Oils, in Dino or Synthetic, have a really strong add pack that most likely surpasses or equals what is sold in a HM gasoline engine oil.

LoL: IMHO--->Over 300K miles! Then again I have read many cases where certain diesel engines have had to overhauls around the 100K to 200K mile mark--due to poor maintenance habits... SO! To be honest I really have know Idea... But I would say with good Maintenance around the 300K mile mark...

Here's a question for you: How long is a long, long time?

High-mileage gasoline-engine oils basically have more ZDDP and detergent than the regular gasoline-engine oils and they have higher HTHS viscosity as well. These are things that HDEOs already have; so, HDEOs are high-mileage oils to begin with.

On top of that, HDEOs need to comply with more tests (particularly many engine-maker-specific bench tests); although, this is something that might not necessarily result in benefits in gasoline engines.

Most diesel oils are designed for trucks with mileage well into the 6-figures. So they pretty much ARE high mileage; plus, being Xw40 means they're thicker than most auto oils and meant for leaky motors.

Hi,
-Syn- - In my case I have had my engines go well beyond 2m kms 1.25m miles without an overhaul - at OCIs averaging around 100kkms (62k miles). Oil consumption averaged 6kkms (3.8kmiles) per litre

Doug what type of diesel engines were those... The one's I'm talking about were Duramax's and PSD what were used in the oil field... Not really treated well... Alot of highways and Alot if Idle time on Location... Many averaged 20 to 30K miles a yr.

I bought my 01 PSD from this company, with 250K miles on her...they couldn't keep it running... I was employed there so they almost gave me the PSD... After spending alot of time online, I found the problem-->Simple Fix! Now it has 285K miles on it... trouble free miles... {So Far}... I guess I spend to much time thinking about the oil that goes into our autos... Hence the reason for my question... But Thanks again.

The oil I use, John Deere Plus 50, can be considered a high mileage HDEO. The "Plus 50" signifies 50% over recommended hours/miles.
The new Plus 50 II(CJ-4) now allows up to 500hrs. OCI's. For example, one engine I have came from Deere (7.6L/466) with 250hr. OCI's, so for years I went with 375hrs. OCI's, with excellent UOA's. Now according to Deere I can go 500hrs.with the new Plus 50 II CJ-4, UOA's will tell the tale, but I expect excellent results.

rr: what does that JDP50 cost you per gallon? I can only imagine the cost esp coming from a JD dealer.

I myself would have to install an oil filter by-pass system on my 7.3L before I would use this type of oil or for that matter Amsoil or Schaeffers, just to help justify the cost of the total oil change... Esp to my wife...It's hard to explain to a angry wife a $120-$175 oil change...Without knowing if I could extend my OCI to 10K to 20K miles...

I guess, I will not worry about it so much and keep using what has taken my PSD to 285K miles... I did change from Rotella to a Mix of 2gal Delvac 15W-40 & 2gal M1 TDT 5W-40...

Thanks again for your knowledge...

The Plus 50 II is around 14 bucks a gallon, and I DO NOT extend OCI in my powerstrokes, but on my 6.0 I do follow the owners manual interval of 7,500mi.

Bypass filtration isn't needed for factory recommended intervals, and any engine with hydraulic actuated injectors should not attempt to do extended OCI's without UOA's.

Thanks RR: I will visit the local JD and see what price per gallon they have on the Plus 50 II...If reasonable I will give it a try...I thought the plus was a full synthetic, hence the reason I brought up the oil filter by-pass system... Look forward to you UOA... It will be next winter before my next oil change, since I already have 4 gallons bought for this summers oil change...

I have a whole stack of them over in the HDEO UOA section, but they are all Plus 50, the old formulation. Currently I am on my last OC with the CI-4, so it will be a while before I can post a UOA with the CJ-4, maybe Oct. at the earliest.

The oil isn't advertised as a syn, just a superior add-pack, and I have never had a bad UOA with Plus 50.

Wow, thats a great hths for a 0w30 oil. Must be something in the base oil ? Arent all Diesel oils high mileage anyway ? To do high mileage as well as run in hihg mileage vehicles that do long distances by nature etc.

If your going according to how tradition HM oils are marketed, in my opinion Diesel oils are not the same as the HM oils are thicker, have seal swell additives, tend to be a semi synth and so on. It does share the higher anti wear and detergent quality such has the HM oils like Maxlife etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vxcalais
Wow, thats a great hths for a 0w30 oil. Must be something in the base oil ?

Well it is 100% PAO based but the HTHS vis >3.5cP is not too unusual. It's the same for GC but the Mobil oil has a much better VI of 176 vs only 167 for GC and a higher ZDDP level being a HDEO.

In a PCMO there is also Lucas 0W-30 with a HTHS >3.5cP and a 189 VI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back