'85 Goldwing oil rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I have a 1985 Goldwing that requires SE or SF rated oil. I have found out that new ratings of oil (SJ on the new HP4 Honda oil) don't neccesarily enhance previous ratings just superceeds them and may not protect the old engine as is recommended. I have also heard that synthetic oils are not more slippery the natural oils and won't reduce clutch performance. What do I do to give the old girl what she needs. I have heard that some of the diesel oils give it what it needs. Just need some professional info. Thanks. One more thing I change oil as close to every 1500 miles as I can; so is all this concern even warranted?
confused.gif

Welcome to the forum! There have been some UOAs on Goldwings posted in the past here. My understanding from these, and from other comments, has been the Goldwing has a pretty bulletproof engine.

Many here (myself included) like the HDEO oils ("diesel" oils). Sunruh seems to be quite knowledgeable on these, and perhaps can chime in.

If I were you, I'd run Rotella T6 5w40 (if you ride when it gets below 40 degrees in Michigan), otherwise Rotella T 15w40. Changing every 1500 miles seems quite frequent, and either would work for that interval (in fact, I'd go farther, but no harm done, I imagine).

Enjoy the Honda!

Originally Posted By: ABerns
Welcome to the forum! ......... If I were you, I'd run Rotella T6 5w40 (if you ride when it gets below 40 degrees in Michigan), otherwise Rotella T 15w40. Changing every 1500 miles seems quite frequent, and either would work for that interval (in fact, I'd go farther, but no harm done, I imagine).

Enjoy the Honda!

I agree completely.

1500 mile OCI? Can I have the "old" oil? I'll put it in my Electra Glide & run it another 3500.
wink.gif

I would also recommend the Rotella. GW's seem to love it.

Rotella, either flavor, is a great choice for any Wing.

Synthetic is slightly 'slipperyer' than conventional oil, but not enough that it shows up in fuel mileage. It will keep the engine cleaner than the average conventional.

Honda suggests 8000 mile oil changes. Few Wing owners will go that far on regular oil. A good brand name synthetic, like T-6 Rotella, and 8000 is possible.
That's often once a year for many.

Quote:
I have also heard that synthetic oils are not more slippery the natural oils and won't reduce clutch performance.
It isn't the base oil that is the concern. It is the additive package that is added to the base oil that might cause clutch problems. The automotive oils that are labeled as "Energy Conserving" are the problematic bunch. The other concern are the automotive oils that might not stand up in the gears of the transmission.

Any of the motorcycle specific oils are good in the clutch and transmission. Also the Shell Rotella that has the JASO-MA cert. Many 5W-40 & 15W-40 diesel engine oils will do a fine job, but the makers haven't paid to test the oil for the JASO-MA; other riders good experiences are good enough for me. And, if you ride very hot & heavy, use a motorcycle specific 15W-50 or 20W-50.

Why dump good oil every 1500 miles?

AMSOIL AMO 10W-40 or AME 15W-40 for AT THE VERY LEAST 3K miles

1500 miles is a waste of oil in these motors: you could probably go 5-6K with ease.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back