How long will synthetic/synthetic blend oils last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since there is some debate on wheather oils like QS, Pennz. Castrol, Etc. are true syntheics or not, how long can you run them? I know RP and Redline can go 10-12K. I plan to run my current QS 7-8K. Is that ok? And how long will the others go?

All of the oils you mentioned are more than capable of extended drain intervals. Much of it depends on your engine, driving habits and driving conditions.

Originally Posted By: otis24
Much of it depends on your engine, driving habits and driving conditions.

I suspect your vehicle's manual re: Severe v. Normal service definitions will provide a satisfactory answer from the manufacturer's perspective.

Being over the hill and retired much of our driving is short trips of less than 5 miles.

Heavy traffic here and hot summers.

We go by the owners manual on oil changes for severe service.

Its absolutely silly and unproductive to label all model oils used in different geographic locations with different driving styles and different engine under the same OCI. It just doesn't work like that.

Take a look at the UOA section. There are cars using M1 EP, for example, running it up to 15-20k while others have extremely poor results after only 5-6k.

There's a reason why today's car have OLM systems which uses various driving conditions to determine the proper time for an oil change.

The same 2 cars driven in the same city with different drivers could ask for completely different OC's as per the OLM.

You just can't categorize oils like that. This isn't the 90s where everyone ran 3k OC's no matter what.

I will not use synthetic. I run synthetic for 7000 miles. The dipstick look very clean. When I drain the oil, it is very dirty..

So I am done with synthetic... go with chevron supreme dino gf sn / 4000 Miles OCI.

""The same 2 cars driven in the same city with different drivers could ask for completely different OC's as per the OLM""

I do not believe this is a correct statement. Even considering extensive idling/WOT/cold starts the same 2 cars in the same city will vary no more than 1000 miles over the life of an oil change in the city.It would not be a night and day difference depending on driving style.

What is the definition of synthetic blend nowadays? It seems like most oil is hydro cracked group II and III blend and you can say that almost all oils are synthetic blend.

I'd probably say 5k-7k is a safe bet for those oil labeled "synthetic blend", but you probably should do a UOA or step up to a group III if you want to do extended drain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back