ACDelco Dexos oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dexos is a 40% synthetic. Supposedly designed for fuel efficiency and to combat problems associated with Direct Injection. Also, GM has gone with a global standard; one oil for all of its automobiles. Therefore, all GM automobiles will be spec'd for 5W/30. However, your aftermarket oils (Pennz Platinum, etc.) supposed to meet Dexos1 standards and should offer an availability of different grades.

Originally Posted By: otis24
However, your aftermarket oils (Pennz Platinum, etc.) supposed to meet Dexos1 standards and should offer an availability of different grades.

Be careful of using different grades under warranty. Currently, only 5w-30's are on GM's approved list, with the only exception being Mobil 1 ESP 0w-40 for dexos2.

http://www.gmdexos.com/licensedbrands.html

AFAIK, In the US, 'AC Delco' oil is made by ExxonMobil. In Canada, it's made by Petro-Canada.

Originally Posted By: otis24
Dexos is a 40% synthetic. Supposedly designed for fuel efficiency and to combat problems associated with Direct Injection. ...
Could you give source of information - I dont recall reading this, and many formualtions would vary. Does the spec say: " ... Dexos 1 shall be formulated with 40% synthetic base stock minimum ...".
And since synthetic is refined dino in the US, that definition would be meaningless in the end other than specing and categorising and marginalising base stock with a minimum VI.

Sorry, didn't know AC Delco made a branded oil. I was referring to GM Dexos1 oil that you get at the dealership. This info was from the GM rep who recently visited our dealership to make sure we salesmen understood the value and importance of using Dexos1 oil. Rep simply stated that Dexos1 was 40% synthetic. Being a BITOG junkie, I brought up direct injection being harsh on oil and he stated that this was one of the reasons for going to the Dexos1 specifications.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back