Nissan Z32 Transmission recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I don't know if you guys are all that familiar with Z's but the 1990-1996 Z's like to grind going into 2nd and 4th gears anywhere above 3,000rpm's. I'm not sure what the past owner ran in the transmission but I switched it to NEO synthetics transmission fluid about 5,000 miles ago or so and it might have helped the grind a little bit but I was hoping for more. I do not believe it has anything to do with the NEO fluid since they have a crazy reputation for awesome products and they supply 80% of the cars at Le Mans. I think it would be a great fluid if your transmission was new and didn't have any prior issues. So back to my question what do you guys think I should try to help out my issue a little bit without replacing the transmission of course since its really not THAT bad. I was looking into some Redline products and some from Amsoil and I was wondering how comparable the two were and if anyone has any options on which would be best. Thanks guys.

Might be hard to get any info other than anecdotal. I would just try each one out. Since I normally use Amsoil it would be my first pick. Amsoil has good drivetrain fluids.
If that did not make a difference I would try Redline etc. Have you tried seeing what anybody has to say on a Nissan forum?

Yeah I have seen people use both and I guess your right its kind of a testing situation to see which is better. What do you run Amsoil in?

That good advice bears repeating.
Amsoil or Redline manual trans fluids are very good for bunches of reasons.
Very good.
But they won't fix bad design of faulty parts.
If a fluid is going to help with synchro engagement/grabbing for you, they would be the ones to try [in the right viscosity, of course].

Is this the Tremec T5 in your Z32??

There are a few people on these forums with the same car/trans.

Hopefully, they will spot this thread and chime in with their experiences/suggestions.

Neo DOES make good stuff, and I know that most of the field in F1 uses their super-expensivo, unobtanium-like CV joint grease.
Which one of their fluids is in your gearbox??

The Z32`s don`t have the T5. It`s some kind`ve Nissan "in house" tranny that no one seems to know who it`s made by. Afaik,the 84-86 Z31`s had the T5`s,and the 87-96 (99 Jspec in Japan) have the Nissan in house trannies.

Originally Posted By: ChattZX
Yeah I have seen people use both and I guess your right its kind of a testing situation to see which is better. What do you run Amsoil in?

Been running Amsoil for 15 years in anything that rolls or floats.

Is it a turbo or not?

GL4 75w90 are Redline MT90 or Amsoil MTG, along with your local Ford dealer which has a couple.

If you're in a northern climate, you can use a 75w85 GL4. Redline MT85, Nissan/Hyundai/Dodge/GM/Kia also have GL4 75w85.

If its not a turbo, there isn't much stress on the tranmission. I'd even consider a 75w80 GL4 fluid like Redline MTL, Amsoil MTF, BG SynchroshiftII or Royalpurple SyncroMax...

For shift issues, make sure that your engine/trans mounts are intact/tight, check/replace your shifter bushings, bleed/adjust clutch....

unDummy made some good suggestions:

Get your car up on ramps and bleed the slave,and then bleed the fender well point (it`s on the passenger side fender well). Bleed both points,emptying out the reserviour on both points each,to make sure you get all the air out of the lines. This will make a bigger difference than you`d think. It`s easy to do it yourself:

Open the bleeder nipple w/a hose attached to it,leading into an empty container to catch the fluid,then depress the clutch. Tighten bleeder nipple then raise the clutch pedal back up by hand (it will remain depressed since the bleeder is open,releasing all hydraulic pressure). Just be sure while you`re bleeding that you don`t let the clutch reservior run completely dry.........allow a half an inch or so fluid to remain in the master. Use a good DOT 4 brake fluid (I use Valvoline).

For your tranny crunch,drain and refill with either Pennzoil Synchromesh or Royal Purple Synchromax. Be sure you remove the fill plug first (just wanna make sure when you drain the tranny that the fill plug isn`t so tight that you can`t remove it). Refill with three quarts of either fluif I mentioned.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Refill with three quarts of either fluif I mentioned.

*fluid* Sorry for the typo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back