Pennzoil vs. Quaker State

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do they generally compare? Similar to Ford vs. Chevy, i.e., about equal and falling to personal preference? Quaker State prices are a little better across the board.

Both have roots in Pennsylvania - who owns them now?

from what I gathered from these boards is that they are owned by the same parent company Shell. Pennzoil is considered the high end product with a more robust additive pack, followed by Quaker State in the middle, followed by Shell with their economy line.

dwendt44, what exactly are you implying?
You and I both realized this guy is new and has little knowledge about the oil industry.
Yet you put ideas into his head that may mingle with his image of Pennzoil and or Quaker State?

Titanic, Shell didn't buy Slick-50, they inherrited it with Quaker State when they bought them.
The fact that Shell owns Slick 50 has no affect on their motor oil design.

Titanic, both are great oils. Go to the Used Oil Analyses section and make comparisons.

Both turn in great UOA's and you and your engine will never know the difference.

deadhorse.gif

Quote:

Was I wrong in stating that Pennzoil has a more robust add pack than Quaker State and Shell Oil?

Some here feel Pennzoil has the more robust/better base oil blend -- that Quaker State has the slightly lower base oil blend - but more robust add-pack to compensate.

Quote:

How do they generally compare? Similar to Ford vs. Chevy, i.e., about equal and falling to personal preference? Quaker State prices are a little better across the board.

Both have roots in Pennsylvania - who owns them now?

Pennzoil bought Quaker State in the mid 90's to form the Pennzoil-Quaker State Company. Shell bought the Pennzoil-Quaker State Company in 2002. IMHO Pennzoil is still the better oil. Different base stock and different additive package. When Shell made the purchase they also inherited the following brands:

Wolf's Head Oil (sold to Amalie)
Slick-50 (still looking for a buyer)
Rain-X
Classic Wax
Black Magic Car Care Products
Fix-A-Flat
Snap Chemicals
Gumout
Medo (largest air freshner company in North America)

Great info Johnny.

I have been running the 8 dollar jugs of quaker state conventional in my 03 saturn ion, and will continue to do it.

Its a quality product for a bargain price.

Originally Posted By: Dr_No
dwendt44, what exactly are you implying?
You and I both realized this guy is new and has little knowledge about the oil industry.
Yet you put ideas into his head that may mingle with his image of Pennzoil and or Quaker State?

Titanic, Shell didn't buy Slick-50, they inherrited it with Quaker State when they bought them.
The fact that Shell owns Slick 50 has no affect on their motor oil design.

It's not like they dont push Slick-50...in Ppe Boys they sell it packaged together with 4 qts of PYB as a complete OC "kit,."

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Was I wrong in stating that Pennzoil has a more robust add pack than Quaker State and Shell Oil?

Where's the evidence of that?

Originally Posted By: db500
Originally Posted By: Spartuss

Where's the evidence of that?

Evidence? You want evidence? Don't you know where you are? You are on BITOG, where only a very few have any evidence of what they say, and most others provide opinion,or bias,or old wives tales, replete with lack of rational thought.

Originally Posted By: TTK

Evidence? You want evidence? Don't you know where you are? You are on BITOG, where only a very few have any evidence of what they say, and most others provide opinion,or bias,or old wives tales, replete with lack of rational thought.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

I suppose you'll have to include me in that group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back