2006 Camry V6 Starter problem-I thought....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, need some help with this one.

I turn the key in my Dad's 2006 V6 Camry and nothing happens, no clicking or anything. I thought it was the starter solenoid so since I couldn't find just a solenoid I bought a remanufactured starter/solenoid. I installed it tonight and the results were the same, nothing!

I know the battery is fine, it is relatively new (less than a year). I can hear the fuel pump start and the lights and radio come on.

I looked at the fuse box but I really couldn't determine which fuse it was. I saw an ignition fuse (15amp) but I couldn't even pull it out with a long nose pliers and I don't have the proper puller. Should I be looking a fuse or relay? Thanks in advance for your suggestions...

Try starting it in neutral.

Alarm system?

You don't know the battery is good until you tell us the voltage.

Good ideas so far but..... quick battery and cable check, try to start it with the headlights on. If the headlights dim badly or go out then you have battery/cable problems.

Neutral safety switch: Turn key to start, rattle the shifter in both neutral and park, this may be the cause.

Meter: Put a voltmeter on the small wire going to the solenoid. this is coming from the key (via the neutral safety switch) and see if 12 volts gets there when turning the key to the crank position.

The key switch in the steering column can fail also, remote car starters and the cob artists installing them have also caused lots of problems.

If the above fails, you will need to track it down with the car wiring diagram, and the voltmeter.

Originally Posted By: fsskier
Good ideas so far but..... quick battery and cable check, try to start it with the headlights on. If the headlights dim badly or go out then you have battery/cable problems.

Neutral safety switch: Turn key to start, rattle the shifter in both neutral and park, this may be the cause.

Meter: Put a voltmeter on the small wire going to the solenoid. this is coming from the key (via the neutral safety switch) and see if 12 volts gets there when turning the key to the crank position.

The key switch in the steering column can fail also, remote car starters and the cob artists installing them have also caused lots of problems.

If the above fails, you will need to track it down with the car wiring diagram, and the voltmeter.

OK, I will try this. Thanks.

OK, so I tried neutral and it wouldn't turn over. I also tried wiggling the shifter and nothing.

I hear a very faint humming sound from the engine when I turn the key. It does not turn over at all. I turned the headlights on and they are very bright and barely dimmed when I turn the key to on and only get the humming.

I think I need to get a voltmeter and start probing around.

There is no remote start or alarm system. There is a keyless entry and I made sure everything was unlocked. When I lock it I do see the security light blinking on the dash but I have never heard an alarm on the car.

OK, I think you have perhaps eliminated the neutral safety switch..... but you asked why wiggle the shifter around??

Their is a switch in the transmission/linkage that does not let you start the engine in gear, it only lets it start in park or neutral. This switch does fail, (and could have failed totally or have a broken wire going to it), but wiggling the shifter often causes the switch to make contact and start the car.
Next, use the voltmeter on the solenoid switch wire, then start backtracking until you find switched power.... at that point you will have found the discontinuity.

A shop manual/wiring diagram will give you the info you need.... but a "Camry Head" may already know of the common failure points. Good luck!

Given the relatively low year/mileage (2007 you say?)I still wouldn't rule out the possibility of a battery problem. But then again: my observations based on an original, accident-free vehicle. If it has been tempered with by autobody guys or shady mechs, anything could happen.

Get it load tested first before proceeding to the rest of the diagnostics.

It may be a bad starter relay about $50 aftermarket, It should be easy enough to find as its probably in the main fuse box or in a small separate relay box,check the owner manual.

Make sure the ground cables are in good shape and connected.

^^^ starter relay is driven by the ign switch or ecu. that relay then sends power to the solenoid. you should hear a light, faint somewhere when it gets juice.

Originally Posted By: Trav
It may be a bad starter relay about $50 aftermarket, It should be easy enough to find as its probably in the main fuse box or in a small separate relay box,check the owner manual.

Make sure the ground cables are in good shape and connected.

I tested the relay with the relay from my Camry (I double checked and they are the same part #) and it still would not start. I put the suspected bad relay in my car and it worked fine. So its not the relay and not the starter. I am going to test the battery and clean up the terminals tomorrow.

******UPDATE**********

I just realized I posted in the title that the car is a 2006, its not. The car I having the starting problems with is a 2003 Camry V6. Sorry about that, I am not sure if this changes anything.

One more thing I should mention. This car sits in the garage in Chicago while my Dad is in Arizona over the winter so he asked me to take it for a spin to charge up the battery so after about 2 months I finally did. It started right up and ran fine. I put it back in the garage and came back a week later to drive it again and it wouldn't turn over. I am not sure if this matters or not! Thanks again everyone. So at this point I have replaced the starter and tested the starter relay

Last edited:
Does this vehicle have a transponder key? Being a 2006, it should. Do you get a security light when you try to start it?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Does this vehicle have a transponder key? Being a 2006, it should. Do you get a security light when you try to start it?

I just posted an update. The car is a 2003 Camry V6 not a 2006, sorry about the confusion. I don't think it has a transponder. It has keyless entry which seems to be working fine from what I can tell.

Originally Posted By: Ed_T
Whack the starter a few times then try it.

I already replaced the starter.

the first thing one does is check to see if there is power going to the started solenoid when the key is in the start position. Very easy with a volt meter or test light. no power? then the problem is before the starter. power? check cables and starter.

Break out the jumper cables and try to jump start it with a running vehicle.

Still waiting on battery voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back