Clicking and other issues w/ new starter

2007 Pacifica 4.0L With 148k. I replaced the original starter in June with a Denso remanufactured version. When it works, it’s been great in firing the car up right away. However it occasionally just rapidly clicks or engages for just a moment when the key is turned. If you keep turning the key on and off, it eventually starts. (So far at least.)

I replaced a tired battery terminal last week in hopes it was a bad connection there, but that wasn’t the problem. This past week it took four attempts before the starter fully engaged and started the car. It just did it again this morning.

This is my wife’s car and she hauls kids in it, and after getting stranded by a bad alternator in January, she’s quickly losing confidence. So, I need to get this solved or she will start shopping for something else.

I’m going to check the connection at the starter today. The battery and alternator are 6 months old and seem fine. This seems to be an issue downstream of the battery.

Any other suggestions? At some point I’ll have to question the starter itself, but I thought by buying a Denso I’d get something that was reliable out of the box.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
My aunt has a town & country with the same engine and same problem. New battery terminals, new starter, new battery cables, and the problem is still there. Maybe a bad ground between the engine and frame?

Check the wiring, but it may be worth taking apart the starter and checking the solenoid contacts. My '99 Camry has a Denso starter, started doing the same thing--click and nothing, then it would try as I let off the key--and I found bad contacts. Surprisingly there was contacts on Ebay for $20. Put those in and fine since.

Agree. Loose Connections, bad/loose grounds, and can be a battery cable with too much resistance. Connect the negative jumper cable clamp and connect it from the negative battery terminal to the engine and try it. That eliminates that cable.

2007 Pacifica 4.0L With 148k. I replaced the original starter in June with a Denso remanufactured version. When it works, it’s been great in firing the car up right away. However it occasionally just rapidly clicks or engages for just a moment when the key is turned. If you keep turning the key on and off, it eventually starts. (So far at least.)

I replaced a tired battery terminal last week in hopes it was a bad connection there, but that wasn’t the problem. This past week it took four attempts before the starter fully engaged and started the car. It just did it again this morning.

This is my wife’s car and she hauls kids in it, and after getting stranded by a bad alternator in January, she’s quickly losing confidence. So, I need to get this solved or she will start shopping for something else.

I’m going to check the connection at the starter today. The battery and alternator are 6 months old and seem fine. This seems to be an issue downstream of the battery.

Any other suggestions? At some point I’ll have to question the starter itself, but I thought by buying a Denso I’d get something that was reliable out of the box.

Thanks a lot.
Question - why did you replace the original starter?

Look in the fuse/relay box - is there a starter relay?

It sounds like the TIPM Module could be failing.
(Totally Integrated Power Module)
This is integrated into the underhood fuse box.
The starter relay and fuel pump relay are also integrated.
Google it and see if any of the symptoms your Pacifica sound familiar.
I had an '09 Caliber displaying similar symptoms.

Changed out original starter when it was clearly starting to go away. Slow, lethargic engagement after 16 years, 148k and a lot of short trips/frequent starts.

So I removed the new one yesterday and found one of the nuts on the back of the starter loose. Not super loose, but enough that I could wiggle the main power cable back and forth. I tightened it up and reinstalled. I will drive this week and see if it continues to act up. (I did take starter to local NAPA while it was off and they said it tested good.)

I’ve had similarly loose battery connections that have acted up so perhaps that was the culprit…If that was it, I’d put it on Denso but also would now know to check all those nuts for tightness going forward.

I’ll plan to share an update later.

Update: While there was a loose connection at the starter, it was not the issue. My next try was to replace the starter relay. It was not the issue.

My latest attempt was to replace the ignition switch in the dash. I did that yesterday and, knock on wood, have had five normal starts in five attempts. I’m too superstitious to declare it solved, but I’m more optimistic than I’ve been. If that wasn’t the fix, I’ll continue to update in case others may find it helpful someday.

Back