Anyone using LED household bulbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
??? I noticed the prices in HD dropped by 40% or so.

I need to set up a light on timer that will get plenty of hours. Sure, CFLs will last a good long time - my parents still have some of the circle type from the 80s. But LEDs supposedly use even less power and last even longer.

Looking at them at HD, the output seems really weak though. Lumen for lumen, I cant tell that they truly perform as well and are absolutely more energy efficient in current iterations.

Any good items? What are you using? Sure is nice to have low power consumption, low life and no mercury... Willing to pay some of a premium, but want to get the best items currently out there.

Thanks!

My brother sent me one years ago; very weak on brightness and the color was sort of blue whitish. I decided a great place for it was the refrigerator. Easy on the eyes for late night snack runs....

LEDs have far improved in the last few years. So to some extent, they must be far better than years ago...

I just bought an LED bulb for my big flashlight. It was expensive but it doesn't have nearly the light out-put of the standard bulb so I switched it back but this is a flashlight and no comparison to households.

Originally Posted By: Quest
price not low enough to make it economical.

Q.

As mentioned above, I'm willing to pay a bit of a premium for an LED light, if one can have decent performance and be recommended.

My experience with LED flashlights (good ones) are that they can handily outperform with better electrical efficiency.

But the 120V units are who knows what... thats why Im looking to see if/what others are using.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
I just bought an LED bulb for my big flashlight. It was expensive but it doesn't have nearly the light out-put of the standard bulb so I switched it back but this is a flashlight and no comparison to households.

My 4sevens quark light is amazing for how much light it puts out from a single 123 battery. My 18650 powered light is even better GREAT performance can be had from LED.

The price is still too high for me. But from what I read the LED bulbs use half the energy of the CFL bulbs, give off less heat and can last up to 15 years.

Right, which is why for a light that will be timed and on a LOT, it would make sense long-term...

But it seems like the lumens ratings are REALLY low.

I have some of the Zetalux2 7-watt bulbs from earthled.com in some outdoor and indoor fixtures. These are equivalent to a 60-watt incandescent or 15-watt CFL. They are just a touch whiter than standard incandescent bulbs, but not the real garish super white that most people associate with LED's. For the most part, I am pleased. The beam pattern only covers 180deg so they work best in a downlight fixture, where all of mine are. Also, the ones I have outside have lit reliably in -10 deg F weather. Are they as bright as a 60-watt bulb? I think they are close, but not quite. I have some Sylvania 52-watt halogen bulbs and the LED bulbs are at least equal to these. I'm also waiting for the price to go down, but I have not regretted switching to LED's.

The only LED bulbs I've used are those in a Flashlight and also the Christmas lights outside and on the tree. I like both applications. The Flashlight has a more powerful direct beam of light while the regular bulb scatters the light. The Christmas lights were great....lots of light....and a low utility bill.

Now I need to go to HD and try out some of these bulbs.....especially if they make them for lamps. I've go a chandelier that takes 8 bulbs....so this might be a very good application for these LED light bulbs. As long as the price is nice and low.

Last edited:
For about the last 5 years the electric company has been giving instant rebates a few times a year on the CFL bulbs. So you can get them for $1.00 a bulb. Maybe they will start doing it with the LED bulbs. I don't think people are disposing the CFL bulbs properly.

I got a classic style led light bulb from Home Depot for around 19$ with tax. Put it instead of CFL light bulb in my lamp near my desk. They both use 9W and Led cost much more. But looks like to me that LED is more bright, and they claim it will work for 15 years (as I remember). Today just got LED work desk lamp on clip from IKEA. So far I like it, it looks cool and has a output ad good flashlight. Good for charting and as additional light. Or if you want to read while someone is sleeping near you. Uses 3.5W
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10128734

I will not try LED household bubs for another 3-5 years. The technology is fairly new and they are not reliable the first few years. Also, CFL bulbs are heavily subsidized by my local electric company so that it costs only 25 cents a bulb, and many times it was free when we went to super markets.

I assume you are talking about a Maglite or something similar? Most LED "bulbs" that fit those are very dim, because high power LED's need a heatsink to pull heat away. If there is nowhere for heat to go, they can't run a powerful LED. I assume you were using one of the Nite Ize drop-in's?

You definitely, definitely can't judge LED's by this.

The single most important thing to look at when buying an LED replacement bulb, is how much light output there is. It is listed in lumens, and the more the better. Some of the first LED "bulbs" that were available off the shelf used the Luxeon K2 LED, which was a horrible piece of [censored]. It was extremely inefficient, but at least it could be run at high amperage
smirk.gif

7 watts and 200 lumens is pathetic at best. Current technology allows for 200 lumens from 2-3 watts.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

I assume you are talking about a Maglite or something similar? Most LED "bulbs" that fit those are very dim, because high power LED's need a heatsink to pull heat away. If there is nowhere for heat to go, they can't run a powerful LED. I assume you were using one of the Nite Ize drop-in's?

You definitely, definitely can't judge LED's by this.

Yes it is a 4-D cell Maglite. Not sure of the brand name of the bulb but I got it at Walmart. Thanks for the info!

I first started using CFL when a client gave me a case when they first came out and I like them. The latest ones I purchased are poor quality as compared to the original ones. I have several LED flashlights and they are great. I have been watching the LED lamps for years pretty soon I will try one. I am not a save the earth type of person out of reality, but I am into the lowest cost overall.

So there are LED bulbs than can be fitted onto regular bulb sockets, right?
Are there any of you who use LED bulb(s) as a MAIN light, like a main light in a room, (not just on a desktop lamp or something).

I am getting the itch to try one in our dining area, I hate the yellow light of the regular bulb we have in there...

I guess a 40W equivalent LED would be good for that area... (?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back