Autozone says IF YOU CHARGE BATTERY YOU MESS IT UP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes you heard right. I got another battery today and they told me it came fully charged and that "if i charge it i will mess it up."

i die laughing
crackmeup2.gif

As a side note, i am presently charging my battery since it was dead and i feel a fool for trying to start my car without first fully charging a year old battery date sticker 03-10.

crackmeup2.gif
and shame on autozone for lying to me im stupid too.

Why did you buy such an old battery? Sounds like you're off to a bad start with a dead battery.

I bought a new battery just before the new year, and made sure he grabbed the 10/10 battery, not the 7/10 battery. It's an AGM battery, but I figured the newer the better.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Why did you buy such an old battery? Sounds like you're off to a bad start with a dead battery.

I bought a new battery just before the new year, and made sure he grabbed the 10/10 battery, not the 7/10 battery. It's an AGM battery, but I figured the newer the better.

I am charging it on 2 amps as that is how fast (slow?) my one setting auto charger charges. I did try to turn the car over as i was going to show my boss my car but no it wouldnt turn and i was thinking "i knew it they sid ti was fully charged it just sat there and never saw a charger, im stupid."

I didnt ask them about pennzoil lol
smile.gif
And it cost $55 so thats why i bought it it was "on clearance"

I did add distilled water as the cells were LOW i opened up the caps. the cells seemed to be submerged in water but it gets hot out here so i filled it up to about half an inch below the caps bottom of the vent holes and then it got a good shaking getting to my home as i walked it i had a wheeled cart and that mixed it up, and then i tried unsuccessfully to start the car for a few seconds and now its on 2 amp auto charge, one day? two days? until the light turns green? then im having it load-tested if it fails the load-test im getting my $ back.

because IF YOU CHARGE THE BATTERY YOU WILL MESS IT UP

crackmeup2.gif

as i said, im broke now and im out of money for about a month thats why im playing this battery game. if it charged up it just might pass the load test too! having benefitted from my proper addition of distilled water, turned electrolyte
smile.gif

wow - so I messed up the three batteries I installed in our three vehicles about a year or so ago. I should have known better not to have each one on a Deltran Battery Tender Plus for a day & overnight before installation. Well, when I take them in, I better not tell them that - Oh wait... None of them were bought at AZ, so I should be good.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
What does he think the alternator is going to do as soon as you start the car???

dude it wouldnt start the car thats why i tried TO start the car they told me it was charged and they told me if i charged it i would mess it up

mad.gif

Seems ill let it float charge on my charger since it is standard procedure to let an auto float charger as i have (2 amps) charge the battery, especially since it has all this new distilled water to electrify around the cells the cells were NOT exposed but my addition of water means its not low anymore, yes it was distilled water, yes its just below the bottom of the fill cap vents now

AZ sucks.

Last edited:
Take the battery, back - period. I wouldn't buy a wet battery more than a few months old, and if it showed anything less than full voltage, I'd say, "next please!"

Originally Posted By: SuperFast
Originally Posted By: spasm3
What does he think the alternator is going to do as soon as you start the car???

dude it wouldnt start the car thats why i tried TO start the car they told me it was charged and they told me if i charged it i would mess it up

mad.gif

Seems ill let it float charge on my charger since it is standard procedure to let an auto float charger as i have (2 amps) charge the battery, especially since it has all this new distilled water to electrify around the cells the cells were NOT exposed but my addition of water means its not low anymore, yes it was distilled water, yes its just below the bottom of the fill cap vents now

AZ sucks.

I know its discharged! if you jumped the car or even through every day use the battery gets charged by the alternator. I was refering to the sillyness of his theory, whether charged by a charger or the alternator, it still gets charged! Does the autozone dude really think the original charge lasts 5 years?????

Take the battery back. If it was sitting for a year and was dead when you got it, it has lost a significant portion of it's capacity.

Even if you can get it to take an hold a charge, the battery has been damaged.

Would you buy a "new" car that already had 50k miles on the original oil on it, cause that is basically the battery you just bought.

That particular worker's statement is foolish. I sometimes ask questions of AP stores workers that I already know the answer to. A large percentage of the time their answers are very amusing in their fallacy. For example the one guy who looked at the shallow threads on my ball joints and tried to convince me it was not threaded.

Occasionally one will nail it, but usually the only thing I will trust them for is
"Where do you keep the......?" Especially the young ones.

he probably mis-heard something about jumping a battery incorrectly, or read something about not warranting a battery that was jumped incorrectly.
I say give the kid a break, he'll learn.
I agree though, any battery I buy I would want to see a gauge on it before I leave.
or, take them up on the 'install for free' offer! (or I send my wife in acting all helpless, she has no problem getting assistance!)

I think the comment about NOT charging the battery is warranted. I always charge my batteries before installing, but I also make sure to buy a new battery and check the voltage before, during and after trickle charging.
28.gif

However, a new, fully charged battery shouldn't need anything before install. As they probably see it, the risk of some one reading on the interwebs that they should charge their new battery for peace of mind, but either unintentionally or ignorantly leaving it charging overnight at 10A is too high of a risk, so they say not to charge it. Because...if it's dead when you purchase it then you should return it and get a fresh, new battery.

Last edited:
I have never seen a "fully charged" battery from any battery place. If it has sat for a month or more it has self discharged several percent. Buy a fresh battery from a place that sells lots of batteries and even then, put a trickle charger on until the amp load drops to less than one and the voltage check ~ 12.8 AFTER letting it sit uncharged for an hour or so. Ed

I wouldn't have taken a battery a year old. I don't pay much attention to parts people in those stores, very few know what they are talking about.

U shouldnt have added the water to the battery till after u fully charged up the battery.
A good trickle charge should bring it back to life

Originally Posted By: SuperFast

I am charging it on 2 amps as that is how fast (slow?) my one setting auto charger charges. I did try to turn the car over as i was going to show my boss my car but no it wouldnt turn and i was thinking "i knew it they sid ti was fully charged it just sat there and never saw a charger, im stupid."

I didnt ask them about pennzoil lol
smile.gif
And it cost $55 so thats why i bought it it was "on clearance"

I did add distilled water as the cells were LOW i opened up the caps. the cells seemed to be submerged in water but it gets hot out here so i filled it up to about half an inch below the caps bottom of the vent holes and then it got a good shaking getting to my home as i walked it i had a wheeled cart and that mixed it up, and then i tried unsuccessfully to start the car for a few seconds and now its on 2 amp auto charge, one day? two days? until the light turns green? then im having it load-tested if it fails the load-test im getting my $ back.

because IF YOU CHARGE THE BATTERY YOU WILL MESS IT UP

I hope you end up getting your $55's worth out of this .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back