Ford Ecoboost Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been doing some reading on these engine and I'm pretty impressed. Excellent power, fuel economy. Does anyone know about the longevity of these engines? Would the fact the engines are turbocharged affect their life span?

It is another Direct Injecton engine with all the problems associated with DI.

BG has a study ongoing, engine has terible deposits on the valves and BG is using the car as a test mule for their products to devlop chemicals to clean them. Somewhere someone had a link and it showed the control vehichle with pictures.

I would avoid it and look elsewhere until they have been out a while. Note most non-DI turbos wont have any issues provided you change the oil at reasonable intervals and better yet run a good synthetic in them.

Turbo charged engines have been in everyday use in Europe for decades without many serious problems.
Oil quality seems play a very important part in longevity,for GDI very high grade fuel is needed to keep deposit build up under control.Sadly the quality of fuel here in the U.S. seems to be getting worse not better for a host of reasons but oil quality is definitely getting better.

Don't know anything about the turbo engines, but I have an 08 Mercury Sable with the 3.5 engine which I think is the same engine sans the turbos. I've learned the hard way and some help from a fellow forum member that the throttle body has to be cleaned early and often to avoid problems. At 40K my engine quit responding to the accelerator. I learned that these engine have problems with carbon buildup in the TB. I removed the throttle body which was heavily carboned. I gave it a thorough cleaning all the time holding it with the tps on top so no spray got into it. Reinstalled it and it has run fine since. Needless to say I intend to clean this thing on a regular basis from now on.

I like the car and the performance of the engine. Gas mileage is awful. The last tank yielded something over 15 MPG. There was a lot of short trip cold weather driving involved. Overall with a mixture of local and extended trips I average 22 MPG +/-. Gas mileage is definitely not this engine's forte. I read on some of the ford forums about people who claim 28-30 mpg with these cars. That's not been my experience and doubt it's been theirs, either.

Last edited:
DI engines would be mostly fine if we could use lean stratified charge as they need to be run. Credit our stupid EPA for messing up the works on that.

Originally Posted By: VNTS

I would avoid it and look elsewhere until they have been out a while. Note most non-DI turbos wont have any issues provided you change the oil at reasonable intervals and better yet run a good synthetic in them.

Dont really see how that is the case, assuming the conditions are the same and the oils are the same. The turbo may be run a bit richer in some conditions, but most of the concerns are about deposits and lack of solvency on the valve backs, which doesnt get fixed based upon turbo or not.

DI engines are a turn off for me, turbo or not. A disappointing trend, I hope they get them perfected before I'm ready for a new vehicle. JMO

Sure glad the new V6 in the Mustang is neither turbo nor DI. It's got plenty of power and great fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
Have you watched for F-150 ecoboost torture test video's? At the least very entertaining.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/experiencef150/
I enjoyed the vidoes, but I wish they had torn down the engine, and looked at the valves and intake manifold area after dyno testing or at some point. Also would like to know what maintenance was done and what fluids used. As someone mentioned, the BG Ecoboost Taurus test with borescope views, would give one pause. And, I don't consider pouring the BG cleaner down the intake and/or scrubbing to be an acceptable regular maintenance solution. Then too, BG has some vested interest there too ie., selling product.

Just wish there were some satisfactory answers to the GDI valve/intake maintenance questions.

The videos were great entertainment, and a fantastic advertising tool. Seems like the engine puts out plenty of power...but durability is high on my list.

Without a teardown, maintenance schedule and UOA, they're just commercials.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
Have you watched for F-150 ecoboost torture test video's? At the least very entertaining.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/experiencef150/
I enjoyed the vidoes, but I wish they had torn down the engine, and looked at the valves and intake manifold area after dyno testing or at some point.

That torture-tested EcoBoost engine will be torn down and the parts displayed at NAIAS on Jan. 15.

Originally Posted By: justinf89
Its going to be toredown live on jan 15.

Oops, responded before I read this.

Last edited:
Ford does engines pretty good and that being said I prefer to let other pay their hard earned money to test out new offerings.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Ford does engines pretty good and that being said I prefer to let other pay their hard earned money to test out new offerings.

I think so too, but it will be a while before I'm sold on DI. IMO there are still plenty of bugs to work out, and probably more to come.

Those Ford commercials online are just that... commercials. I would avoid drawing too many conclusions from what is presented. I wonder if anyone remembered the Ram being only 3.2 seconds behind in the hill climb with trailer segment? They never mentioned it again after a flash of the interval on the screen, instead focusing on how they beat a 5.3 Silverado by over 40 seconds!

EBoost has a lot to prove in the real world of abusive ownership. I've said this before: It's a GREAT design in need of real world testing!

You go first.

I am waiting for law enforcement down here in the jungle to test them out but it looks like the bulk of agencies [if not all] are going over to the Charger and Tahoe camp.

Looks like every agency down here is trying to get every last one of the remaining CVPI'S as I still see new ones still coming in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back