2003 Sienna fluid changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I could post a new topic in each section, but maybe I'll just do one topic here.

I just got a 2003 toyota sienna with the 1MZ-FE. Its got 59k miles and doesn't seem to burn any oil, and no CEL's. I'll be doing a dino oil change very soon and checking or changing the PCV. Then at some point I will probably try to pull the valve covers and check for you know what. Either way, I'll probably run some AutoRX and or MMO. Any suggestions of an oil to go with those cleaners? I'm hoping the FL-400S filters fit on this engine too.

For the trans, I'll be doing a drain and fill. I'll drive it a bit first to get a feel for how it shifts so I can tell if there are changes with new fluid. I think the dipstick says Dexron II but I guess I'll be choosing between Maxlife Dex/Merc and Dex VI. This trans has a differential drain plug too, so I may be replacing 80% of the fluid all at once.

I think it takes ATF for the PS fluid, so I'll probably use Maxlife again.

For the coolant, I'll probably flush with distilled and then do Peak Global Lifetime since I already put that in my other cars.

Within 6 mos I'll need tires. P205/70R15 I'm thinking General Altimax RT or BFG Traction TA. Sears suggested Sumitomo HTR. I usually look at tire rack reviews and try to find the best ones locally.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Use Toyota Trannny Fluid (for the 2003 I think Type III or IV). Need to verify that in your manual. Either way, Toyota OEM is very specific about the brand required. You COULD use something else, but I think the manual warns that it might result in Tranny failure. Why play games with your new vehicle?

I use Valvoline Synthetic and high-quality Oil Filter in my 2006 Sienna. Works great at 67,000 miles. Whatever you use, make sure its high quality detergent oil and you stick around the OCI. In the past, Toyota's have had problems with sludge.

Coolant should be Toyota Super Long Life (red stuff) or other non-silcate "Asian" formulation. I'd stick with Toyota Branded stuff if you just purchased the van and want some quality. The cost difference is small.

I don't think sienna's took T-IV until 2004. This one takes Dexron. I'm not sure if toyota had a T-III but it was probably Dexron III. I'm familiar with T-IV and WS as my other cars use those. I'm actually glad that this one uses Dex.

Toyota coolant works great but is $$$ and I think Peak Global is just as good for about 1/3 the cost. I really need to flush it with water anyway, so I'll probably switch brands. Unless there's are reason not to use Peak Global Lifetime, its the same as my other cars so easier to stock.

Just check the manual with regard to DEXRON or Toyota Type III. IMHO, use what it says and nothing else. Since I have an 06 Sienna (2nd generation), I can't say for sure about the 03.

Peak Global might work. Never used it my Sienna so I can't say for sure. But with any vehicle, the wrong coolant formulation could adversely effect your cooling system over time. Asian vehicles are especially prone to fluid sensitivity.

MaxLife covers it whatever it is. T-IV isn't a very "special" fluid. WS is the only fluid that can't be replaced by M1/MaxLife/Castrol Multi Import, IMO.

For the AutoRX vs MMO, I don't do either so can't comment.

Any snow in your part of the MidWest?

Last edited:
Air and cabin filters maybe. Your list and parts/fluids seem like good choices to me. Don't know on the coolant.
You could do brake fluid and inspect the pads. The two accessory belts are pivot and bolt applied, not with a tensioner. 90k is the TB mileage but I don't know of the time and whether that matters.
Enjoy the car. Good find.

Sienna's are very durable vehicles. As such, you seem to be doing too much work. Other than a "hobby", I'm curious why you're so concerned about immediately changing all your fluids? Does the vehicle need that much maintenance? If so, I trust you purchased it for a GREAT price. IMHO, changing fluids just "because" can be overkill.

Here's my two cents: you can get addicted to wrenching on cars to a fault. If you simply want to clean things up without creating a huge project in your garage, I would simply follow your Sienna manual. Assume it was driven in "Extream Conditions" and follow your OEM requirements through your current milage (60K). In other words, if you spend any money, it should be on maintenance "catch-up". Don't create work and headaches for yourself.

Now, if the vehicle is dirty and uncared for, then you might sleep better after wrenching all over it. I couldn't say without seeing it. Just my thoughts as a Sienna owner myself.

I have some rudimentary maintenance records but haven't had a chance to really look them over. But I'm not sure the trans or coolant has ever been changed. The PS fluid is dark but I haven't really inspected it too much. Id rather assume the stuff was never done and just do it. If the car was 3 years old I wouldn't sweat it, but its not, its 8 years old.

I will change the air filters too. Purolators?

Last edited:
There is NO cabin filter on the 2003 Sienna.

You can register your vehicle on the TOYOTA website for FREE.
This will give you access to any open Recalls and you can also get a online version of the owner's manual.

The correct Motor oil will be a 5W-30.
It is important to use the correct viscosity due to the Varible Valve Timing (VVT) oil control system.
Mobil 1 would be a good off the shelf oil
I would NOT go for a extended OCI.
I do 5K with Redline 5W-30, but Redline is overkill.
I order it by the case, which brings the price down some.
Doing a OCI of 5K to 7.5K would be a good range.

It is SUPER critical to make sure that the PCV valve does not become clogged.
The 2003 has a metal PCV valve the screws into the rear valve cover, passenger side......kind of hard to see with the intake/throttle body in place.
A clogged PCV valve WILL lead to sludge issues.
The went from the PCV valve the pressed into a grommet to the screw in type starting in 2003.
Also, the 2003 has improved baffels inside the valve covers to reduce buildup that can block the flow of air through the crankcase......airflow which is critical in getting contaminates drawn out through the PCV valve.

Oil filter, I had a '96 FORD Windstar, that I bought in '99 with just under 37K miles on it......and got 10+ years out of it and had over 229K miles on it.....still doing very well when I sold it.
So, just for fun, I did some looking on the WIX oil filter website.....and found that the oil filter for the Windstar is a direct fit for the Sienna, just slightly longer, more media surface.....but all the other specifications match up.
The slightly longer filter fits just fine....and that is what I have been running.

I DID run AutoRX, but did not follow the directions and use a "dino" oil.
I would follow the instructions on the AutoRX website....and use one of the oils that they recommend.
I would NOT use MMO or other faster product.
My plan with the Redline oil is that it should not need any additive to keep the inside of the motor very clean.

One thing that the older sludge prone (2002 and older) 1MZFE has been reported to have happen is that the oil pump pick-up screen can become clogged.
THIS is why I (only my opinion) shy away from any faster cleaner.
Removing the oil pan can be tricky.......it IS a nice direct shot.....nothing in the way, HOWEVER, they used a RTV type sealant instead of a gasket.
What this means is that removing the pan after you remove the bolts might be more difficult as you don't want to bend the lip by prying too much.
The ONLY actual gasket that I have been able to locate is a cork gasket for the oil pan.

Valve cover gaskets, I bought the felpro rubber type on the RockAuto Website.

When I do brakes, I plan to use Raybestos "Advanced Technology" rotors and Akebono pads, or the Raybestos "Advanced Technology" pads.

If you change the spark plugs, I would use EXACTLY the part number listed....either DENSO or NGK.
They are rated for 120K miles.
Once you change the rear plugs, you will not be wanting to take a risk on a plug that may not last as long.

The transmission fluid that is correct is a fluid that meets the DEXRON III specification.
I have Redline D4 in mine, Mobil 1 is another quality fluid.
The in pan filter for the transmission is just a nylon screen.
I changed mine, using a Beck/Arnley that came with a rubber style pan gasket (better than cork).
I installed a Magnefine filter in the transmission cooler line that flows back INTO the transmission from the cooler.
A transmission fluid change interval of 30K miles is recommended if doing a fluid exchange through the cooler line, which changes more of the fluid.
If you just want to drain the pan and differential, then maybe every 10K - 15K miles.

For power steering fluid, use the SAME fluid as the transmission.
To change that, I just unclip the power steering resevoir from the inner fender and dump it into a shallow pan.....refill and run the motor to circulate the fluid....then repeat.

The correct OEM fluid is the TOYOTA RED Long Life (not the pink Super Long life).
The TOYOTA RED that I bought at the dealership is a concentrate, intended to be mixed 50/50 with distilled water.
I seem to remembe it costing about $21 with tax.
My coolant was clean, so I just did a drain & refill.

The timing belt is due for change every 90K miles.
It is a involved job that I chose to have done at a dealership for around $500, including a new water pump.
The water pump is driven by the timing belt......so I had them change it while they were right there.

I have 1 recall, for the spare tire metal part at the end of the cable.
That metal part that actually holds the spare tire can rust and break......
TOYOTA will paint it, if it is not too badly rusted, with a special paint.
Or, if it is too badly rusted, they will replace it.
ALL FOR FREE.
I had already painted mine with Eastwood Rust Converter, then with Eastwood Rust Encapulator by the time I got the recall.

NONE of the accellerator recalls apply to our 1998-2003 Sienna because they do NOT have the same system.
The accellerator pedal connects to a cable that directly connects to the throttle body.
The recalls were for certain boxes that the accellerator pedal connected to.....that told the computer the accellerator position, and then the computer controls the throttle body.

Here is a link to a folder of pictures that show much of what you are planning to do.
PLEASE NOTE that I am NOT a mechanic.....just another DIY person, so take what you see with a grain of salt.
http://rides.webshots.com/album/576572371kcnZsT

Originally Posted By: wiswind

Oil filter, I had a '96 FORD Windstar, that I bought in '99 with just under 37K miles on it......and got 10+ years out of it and had over 229K miles on it.....still doing very well when I sold it.
So, just for fun, I did some looking on the WIX oil filter website.....and found that the oil filter for the Windstar is a direct fit for the Sienna, just slightly longer, more media surface.....but all the other specifications match up.
The slightly longer filter fits just fine....and that is what I have been running.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/576572371kcnZsT

I googled the windstar filter and it is indeed the FL-400s. My fav
smile.gif

Where did you order the PCV from? I've called a few places now and they all have the plastic one spec'ed for the 2003. Can you give me a part number too? THANKS!

I bought mine through the Rockauto website.....it is under the "emission" catagory.
Standard Motor Products #V386 for $3.55
List price for one through TOYOTA is under $10.

I agree with the others stick with the Toyota coolant. If you must save money...then I suggest you run the entire cooling system through with 100% water while running and then fill in the Peak or whichever coolant you wish to use... I say this because toyota coolant does not mix well with other coolant's.
For the Power Steering, go with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic ATF, that's what my uncle use's for all the cars that come in to his shop, and I use it in all of my cars as well for the power steering and it works great!
For ATF, I suggest going to Maxlife Multi-Vehicle ATF, or Castrol Multi-Vehicle ATF.

Tires: I've had the Pirelli P4 in 205/70-15 for 55k miles, and look to get another 20-30k miles out of them. Great tire for the money, if a bit loud.

ATF: Valvoline Maxlife ATF has worked well in my Buick that calls for Dex-III.

Originally Posted By: HBCALI
Use Toyota Trannny Fluid (for the 2003 I think Type III or IV). Need to verify that in your manual. Either way, Toyota OEM is very specific about the brand required. You COULD use something else, but I think the manual warns that it might result in Tranny failure. Why play games with your new vehicle?

I use Valvoline Synthetic and high-quality Oil Filter in my 2006 Sienna. Works great at 67,000 miles. Whatever you use, make sure its high quality detergent oil and you stick around the OCI. In the past, Toyota's have had problems with sludge.

Coolant should be Toyota Super Long Life (red stuff) or other non-silcate "Asian" formulation. I'd stick with Toyota Branded stuff if you just purchased the van and want some quality. The cost difference is small.

Every manufacturer is. They all say "use our stuff or approved or it'll blow up".

A few points that I'd like to add.

On the timing belt, even though it isn't at it's specified service mileage, it;s likely past its replacement date. Typically belts are replaced at X miles OR y years.

For coolant, you can also run Zerex Asian mix. The block should have two petcocks to drain the water jackets. Just look for two little hose fittings on the side of the engine, then loosen the bolt that's attached to it.

Well I was able to track down a dome light bulb and a PCV valve from Advance Auto today. It took me about 30 seconds to change the bulb and 30 mins to change the PCV. If I'd had the right tools (a 19mm ratcheting wrench and a trouble light) It would have taken me way less time. The part I took out was toyota part number 12204-20040. It's probably original but it rattles easily with shaking like the new one did, so I guess it's not clogged. Does that mean it can still be used?

The one I put in was a Beck Arnley SKU# 20570988 or MFG# 045-0345.

While the PCV was out I tried to look in the hole with a dental mirror but was of course presented with that sound deadening baffle material like by the oil filler cap. I'm going to assume the engine is not too sludgy if at all, but I think I'll run 1-2 courses of AutoRx and then just keep the changes at about 3k miles on dino and 5k on synthetic.

The van pulls to the right. The tire tread is decent but the tires traction sucks. It had a 4 wheel alignment at the dealer ship about a year ago. I hope that means the pulling is just due to [censored] tires. I've had that happen on 2 other cars before...new tires, no pulling. I can't stand a car that doesnt track straight, so I'll probably book it to sams club and just get the BFG Touring TA's that they always stock.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FL-400S
Well I was able to track down a dome light bulb and a PCV valve from Advance Auto today. It took me about 30 seconds to change the bulb and 30 mins to change the PCV. If I'd had the right tools (a 19mm ratcheting wrench and a trouble light) It would have taken me way less time. The part I took out was toyota part number 12204-20040. It's probably original but it rattles easily with shaking like the new one did, so I guess it's not clogged. Does that mean it can still be used?

The one I put in was a Beck Arnley SKU# 20570988 or MFG# 045-0345.

While the PCV was out I tried to look in the hole with a dental mirror but was of course presented with that sound deadening baffle material like by the oil filler cap. I'm going to assume the engine is not too sludgy if at all, but I think I'll run 1-2 courses of AutoRx and then just keep the changes at about 3k miles on dino and 5k on synthetic.

The van pulls to the right. The tire tread is decent but the tires traction sucks. It had a 4 wheel alignment at the dealer ship about a year ago. I hope that means the pulling is just due to [censored] tires. I've had that happen on 2 other cars before...new tires, no pulling. I can't stand a car that doesnt track straight, so I'll probably book it to sams club and just get the BFG Touring TA's that they always stock.

There's no need to run Auto-RX in the engine, you'll be fine... Just throw some Pennzoil platinum or ultra in there and your good to go.

Personally, I would change the oil and filter regularly and not worry about anything else except the pulling. That's low mileage. Time will put a perspective on the condition you started with, which I almost would bet is excellent. I would use Toyota OE fluids in trans and cooling myself. I don't see the use of Dexron in daughter's 02 camry SE v6, but T-IV. They say never to change, but I don't follow that. I put PP 5w-30 in for her with OE filter, runs really smooth at just over 100k. PCV was fine at 90k, changed anyway, got AZ few bucks. So many of these engines produced, it is easy to get parts.

I have 275,000km on my 2000 Sienna. It still runs and shifts great and doesn't use oil.

I bought it used in 2001 with 40,000km on it. I have been using 5W30 name brand dino oil PYB, GTX, QS with fram filters until the last few years. I changed the oil about every 8000 to 10,000km.

After I discovered this web site in 2008 I switched to PP 5W30. at 10,000km OCI.

I have also changed the PCV valve twice.

I have done a drain and fill on tranny several times and drain and filled the power steering once. The tranny has been drained and filled approximately every 2 years or 60,000km. I am currently using Castrol Import multi vehicle tranny fluid. It takes 3 liters to do a drain and fill.

I have drained and filled the radiator twice with Peak long life coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back