Shell Retinax Grease HD vs. Chevron Delo Grease EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
High in the Mountains of Central California
In both cases, NLGI 2.

At my shop, I am about to switch to one of these two greases, for all uses, from chassis lube to wheel bearings, including in the vicinity of high-temp disc brakes.

From the company spec sheets, I see the following:

Delo Retinax
75---60------Timken OK Load, lb.
500--250-----Four-Ball Weld Point, kg.
0.45-0.45----Four-Ball Scar Diameter, mm.

To me, it appears that the Delo grease is the better product, but is there something else I should be looking at?

As far as I'm concerned, the best two non-synthetic Lith/Complex non-moly fortified greases available are Delo #2 and Mystik Hi-Temp #2. The Delo, particularly in the moderate-to-hot temperatures of your area will work magnificantly for the applications you mention.
BTW, I am not saying anything negative about the Shell grease--I've never used it. Also, both the Mystik & the Delo are certified by NLGI for wheel bearing and general chassis lubrication and the Mystik is Spicer-approved for universal joint lubrication.

You're using some of them. Also, check out the specified temp. range. Spicer wants a grease -10*F to +325*F, with a timken OK load of 50 lb. minimum, Lithium Complex #2. Also, if the NGLI approves a grease on their website (CG-LB)--if I remember correctly-- it is approved for your uses. The Delo's available at truck stops and from Chevron distributors. The Mystik I mentioned earlier is Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp...Make sure if you go w/the Mystik, to get the Hi-Temp. grease, as they also market a JT-6 that's NOT labelled 'Hi-Temperature,' and it is NOT the same grease...and NOT suitable for your usages.

Wow! Great info, thanks!
cheers.gif

higher the drop point
higher the timken OK load
higher the 4 ball weild point
lower water wash out

all the better just stick to a Lith complex since being the most common should minimize incombatibility.
bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back