EP Greases w >600kg weld load and <0.5mm wear scar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some very specific EP greases.
Ideally I want a >750kg weld load and 25kg timken OK load would be desirable too. It needs to be NLGI 2 or greater.

Found a few options that look great on paper but I can't actually find for sale easily, namely the "CAT desert gold" and "Timken Construction and Off-Highway".

I only have one grease on my list that fits roughly into these specs while being readily available, and that's the "Castrol SBX2". It claims >800kg weld load and 0.52mm wear scar. It has a 20.4kg timken OK load, which I think is about average for a lithium complex grease.

The calcium sulfonate greases w/ 5% moly (such as the CAT and Timken grease listed above) seem to have better scar and timken values (with lower but still high weld load) but I can't find them easily.

Penrite used to make a product that covered the >800kg weld load and 0.5mm wear scar in their NLGI 2 "Indgrease Moly HT" but for some reason they have replaced this product with an NLGI 1.5 item which has inferior specs all round. They have another >800kg grease (QCA MX9) however it has a 0.7mm wear scar result.

The application is a small radial cartridge ball bearing with very low rotational speeds, and highest loads at zero rotation. Drag and friction are of zero concern, preventing damage under load is of utmost importance. The bearing is under-specced in size for its application but restrictions mean I can't spec a bigger bearing here nor replace it with any other type.

I am very interested in knowing which test results are more important for this application - particularly the importance of minimising wear scar vs. having a higher weld load (often these do not improve together), and also the importance of the 4-ball tests vs. the Timken tests.

Thanks in advance

http://www.belray.com/mining/products/anti-friction-bearing-bushing-greases

They have it available in AC or LC Base.

on amazon to buy the AC version
http://www.amazon.com/Bel-Ray-69500-Moly...s=belray+grease

Their marketing blurb website page
http://www.belray.com/grease-meets-oem-specs-vs-grease-suits-your-equipment%E2%80%99s-needs

I couldnt find much about the LC Grease but the
AC grease is Product ID 69500

here is a PDS (the link on belray's site is bad but this link works)
link to pds for belray 69500 AC grease

Last edited:
What about Molykote / Dow Corning ??
It would surprise me if they don't have something that is good enough...

Thanks guys, this stuff is gold.

Checking if I can get the BelRay now.

The greengrease has amazing numbers, do you know if the values are
a) reliable and,
b) if they ship internationally?

The specs are just substantially better than everything I've seen, in fact I don't think I've seen a wear scar value that small for any grease so far.

UrS4 - no I haven't, please recommend some if you know any that meet or exceed my requirements.

4 ball and other tests should not be used to compare grease performance. While they may give a general idea of performance they are not typically repeatable tests and hence not very precise.

The Green Grease reads more like Castrol's Ultratak which is a very good grease. As good as is though, SBX 2 would easily outperform Ultratak in extreme load applications due to all the solid additives and heavy base oil. Molub-Alloy 777 ES2 is Castrol's premium grease of this type. It's similar to SBX 2 but has some sort of advanced EP additive system.

Last edited:
I guess you live in the US so it doesn't make much sense to recommend stuff that is practically only available in Europe..
But I noticed about a year ago that amsoil has changed the thickener in most of their greases to calcium sulphonate..

If you don't mind moly, then Cat "Dessert Gold" or "Ultra 5Moly" might be an option (Both of them are calcium sulphonate and with 5 % moly)

Maybe is this an interesting read for you: http://www.axelch.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/WhitePaper-16.pdf

Thanks for the replies.
I collated some data for these high-load greases so I could have it all in one place, and am attaching a screenshot in case it is useful to others:
grease.gif

I went with the SBX2, mostly because it's the best one that I could actually get my hands on - but it scores quite well anyway. If I could have picked any, I think I would have tried the BelRay "AC 69500" that Rand recommended above. The Cat "Desert Gold" also looked great but I couldn't obtain it locally.

I'll be testing heavily in my described application over the next 3 months.

@UrS4 -
I've saved the whitepaper for reading, thanks kindly.
@supercity -
I needed quantitative data for comparison, I appreciate that the tests may not be all encompassing, but short of purchasing all and running my own tests (which I can't do), using the existing global test data is my best bet. For whatever it's worth I did think the SBX2 might have some non-recorded benefits from its substantially higher base oil viscosity like you hinted, so I'll see how it goes. If you have alternative test data/results by all means do share - my only concern is that if a wide range of products aren't tested then it's hard to draw valid conclusions.

That Ultratak grease has excellent specs (at least on paper) - out of curiosity in which specific aspects do you think a higher base oil viscosity will provide an advantage - particularly aspects that may not show up in these basic tests?

I noticed I had some mistakes in my spreadsheet (mostly the Timken values being incorrect by a factor of 10), so I've corrected and added the Ultratak. Apologies if there are any other errors.

Link to google doc here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17Gm2Z98v7WgflUEvhMLqfklTwW9QbWzDSA3KP2Ert6Q/edit#gid=0

@UrS4 -
That article was great. Possibly more interesting was the blurb at the end:
"The next issue of the Lubrisense White Papers will focus on lubricating greases for the mining industry. There are many different and special applications in both underground and surface mining which require specially formulated products. These need to function under slow moving and heavily loaded conditions and the surrounding environment is often, to say the least, challenging. Conventional mining greases are based on heavy oils or even bitumen and more than often loaded with black solid particles such as graphite and molybdenum disulphide. There is however a new generation of mining greases which are based on more modern technology..."

Please post it if you have a link. I'll have a quick google later otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back