Chevron Delo ESI grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overkill for a Ford Explorer? I need to replace and pack the new wheel bearings on a friend's car, the Chinese bearings I have in there developed some slop since I installed them three years ago. Not really my fault, the current bearings are Nationals, I'm installing Timken.

Ford for some reason wants moly, but from my reading here I'm using a moly-free EP grease. My first pick would have been Red Line CV-2, but there's red micronized moly. I had in there cheap Coastal Uniplex from AZ I needed to use up. I've ordered off WM Chevron Delo ESI EP 2, it's listed as Chevron Delo EST. Mercedes 265.1 approved, NLGI LB, Chevron claims 30K service life. Don't want to risk a true PAO/polyol ester synthetic due to seal concerns(and not wanting to buy OEM Ford seals which would be from Freudenberg-NOK or a tier 1 OEM supplier).

Last edited:
LB is for Chassis.

GC is for wheel bearings.

JT-6 Hi-Temp No. 2 is my favorite wheel bearing grease.

Chevron Delo Extended Service Interval is the only US grease that is on MB-Approval list. Another great extended service grease is Mobil XHP 222, tackier since it has a marine grease pedigree. I use both with success in my front on Land Crusiers and LX470 - have to repacked every 30k. Both greases look and function well after double and triple that mileage

Originally Posted by Y_K
Chevron Delo Extended Service Interval is the only US grease that is on MB-Approval list.

That was the main reason I bought it - if Mercedes approved it, it passed some strict criterion. I'm trying to keep the repacking down to a minimum and sure, I could have use Mystik JT-6(if WM has it) or any plain-jane "extreme-duty" LI-complex grease like Sta-Lube Sta-Plex. I would have used Red Line, if it wasn't for the moly in it.

It doesn't mean that the other candidates are 'worse', just they are the ones who submitted to be certified. There is a lot of good grease out there.
Where do you buy yours? I buy mine by 10-pack box from a local distributor at around $33-ish a box and give most of it away to my friends.
Mobil XHP can be easily bought from Zoro. There is also Mobilith SHC 220, but that's overkill, I use their 221 (#1) for the front spindle needle bearings once in a blue moon.

Walmart sold it by the tube, they call it Chevron Delo EST EP-2, which is probably a typo(I knew someone at Walmart Labs in San Bruno, some contractor goofed up). It was $5.36, I also needed to buy some trash bags and ATF which got me free shipping. I'm under the impression M1 Grease is Mobilith SHC220.

Amazon seems to have a decent selection of greases, I also live within driving distances of two Graingers.

I got some Delo ESI EP-2 since the specs looked really good - was going to use this as a bearing grease (trailers, cars, 4 wheelers & mower spindles etc.) Looked like a good alternative to the venerable Mystik JT6 High Temp....Imagine my surprise when I discovered it does not have a NLGI GC rating.....only LB. I mean the supertech at walmart is GC-LB certified. Meanwhile the literature and pictures on the cartridge are all about bearings etc....I already have my Schaeffers #238 in my other gun for tractor etc.

It wasn't geared to be a chassis oil - low temperature floor is a bit too high IMO. I would be careful in really cold weather with this grease, but we don't have those kind of cold spells here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back