Which Snow Blower Does Everyone Like ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
BIL has a comact ariens 2-stage with a Robin Subaru on it. So far, seems like a fine engine. I still like my Snow King though
smile.gif

Sure are getting a lot of snow so far this year, aren't we?

My 10HP TORO just eats it up nicely.

- neighbor in the next town straight east...

Certainly glad to have my Toro this year, that's for sure. Missed last nights though - I'm in Denver where its 43 and sunny without a trace of snow on the ground...

Originally Posted By: JTK
I don't know if we've posted this before, but it looks like other name-brand engine manufacturers are getting into the snowblower market now with Tecumseh being gone.
Tecumseh is gone? Their website still works...

I've been using an MTD 5HP (Tecumseh) 22" 2-stage for probably 15 years or so. The only problem it ever had is that the governor failed because it was plastic. I also cleaned the carb once, but that may have been just because I like to tinker with stuff. It tends to plug the chute if the snow is really slushy, and it's a little underpowered if you let the snowplows pile lots of snow in the mouth of your driveway, but it does OK if you go slowly.

I own a late model Simplicity Large Frame machine right now and I'm very pleased with it. If I were to trade up, this is my choice:

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/products.php?section=td&model=3537#contentTop

YAMAHA

Price Tag

$3,999 msrp*

YS928J
The flagship of Yamaha snowblowers!

CAPACITY
Clearing Width 71.5cm (28 in)
Housing Height 51.0cm (20 in)
Blowing Capacity 50 tons/hr
Maximum Blowing Distance 16m (52 ft)
DRIVE SYSTEM
Axle Rubber track
Transmission Hydrostatic
Speeds Infinitely variable
Ground Speed (km/h) Forward: 0 ~ 3.2
Reverse: 0 ~ 2.4
AUGER SYSTEM
Type Dual stage with "Shock Protector"
Diameter 350mm (13.8in)
Drive Electromagnetic
Height Adjustment Gas assist
CHUTE CONTROL
Rotation Electric
Deflection Manual, two-step (remote lever)
Turning Radius 220º
Chute Material Steel with inside plastic liner

ENGINE
Model MZ250E
Type 4-stroke air-cooled, OHV, single cylinder
Displacement 251cc
Maximum Horsepower 8.5 hp
Starting System Electric 12VDC battery type (std)
Ignition T.C.I.
Recommended Fuel Regular unleaded gasoline (PON 87)
Recommended Engine Oil Yamalube 5W30

GENERAL
Fuel Tank Capacity (L) 6.7 litres
Engine Oil Capacity 1.1 litre
DIMENSIONS
Wet Weight 169kg (373 lb)
L x W x H mm (in) 155.8 x 73.0 x 110.5cm
(61.3 x 28.7 x 43.5 in)

WARRANTY
Private Use† 2-year, limited.
Commercial Use† 1-year, limited.

Yamaha is as good as it gets when it comes to small engines.

Unlike Honda and Kawasaki, they usually don't supply their engines on anything but their own products.

I'm not sure how they rate their engines horse power but their numbers seem conservative considering the performance specs.

Personally, I would prefer a wheeled snow blower. They're much easier to use.

Wow! What a device that is. I did not know Yamaha made snowblowers. I've never seen one in the States. I would have to get a lot more snow than I do now to justify the cost of that unit. Then again??????

Originally Posted By: NovaMan
Originally Posted By: JTK
I don't know if we've posted this before, but it looks like other name-brand engine manufacturers are getting into the snowblower market now with Tecumseh being gone.
Tecumseh is gone? Their website still works...

I've been using an MTD 5HP (Tecumseh) 22" 2-stage for probably 15 years or so. The only problem it ever had is that the governor failed because it was plastic. I also cleaned the carb once, but that may have been just because I like to tinker with stuff. It tends to plug the chute if the snow is really slushy, and it's a little underpowered if you let the snowplows pile lots of snow in the mouth of your driveway, but it does OK if you go slowly.

I have the same snow blower. I can't kill it. The body is going to rust away before the engine dies I think.

I gave away a 5HP Tecumseh on a snowblower to my old neighbor.

Told him all the excessive special maintenance I did to it and all he did was
20.gif

grin.gif

I kinda like my 81 Ariens st724.

but, the ign system is gone and I cant get parts. so thru amazon (you know, the book sellers) i got a new 'tecumseh' motor from the company that took over production. lets call it a 'Checumseh'. It just arrived an hour ago via ups. shal install tonight or tomorrow

Had a pretty good storm over the weekend and the old girl got quite a work out. I think it is time to retire it. Hopefully it gets me through this winter. Engine still runs good but the rest of the unit is tired.

ok, the checumseh engine appears to be cheap junk. seriously. These jackballs ("Liquid Combustion Technologys" aka LCT, from NC - front office, factory in ching-bow-dung china) are taking over production of Tecumseh? Insulting. I put it right back in the box and for $40 more base price with no shipping, got a kohler command 7 (7hp, iron sleeve, made in the good ole usa) from TSC.

plus get this, I ordered from amazon (yes the book people) the electric start version. there is essentially a drill motor on these engines you plug in. thru amazon it was $259 advertised, with $50 shipping, vs $332 from northern (plus shipping), and the amazon order went to northern.

the serial/model number on my order was 100% correct. I got from them the manual start version and the packing slip indicated they knew it was the manual version. so I opened the dispute. whether they want to or not, they are taking this back, I am pretty good at disputing card charges when I have paperwork in front of me and a fax machine

Originally Posted By: kcfx4
Other than the sno-king engine, tecumshe has never been much, id say give LCT a chance

back when I was a kid, over 30 years ago, tec engines were way way better than B&S for stuff like racing minibikes and gokarts.

you could take the 148cc 3.5hp L-head and get it to 5hp at
you could run thinner head gaskets for more compression, could get rid of the 'compression release' (180 phased bump on the cam to unsettle the exhaust valve), you could run the larger cams from other engines in smaller displacement engines, not to mention the lawson power carbs were easier to hot rod.

they had their day in the sun.

but I had 2 engines in my shop last night, side by side, the kohler and the LCT. wasnt even close.

No disrespect to youre story, but if i had a dime for every kohler command valve kit i sold.......................

well the new kohler command 7 pro engine on the ole ariens got its maiden workout today. contrary to what was predicted, it did not poke any rods out thru the block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back